View Poll Results: Vote for value/better tripod

Voters
557. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manfrotto 190Pro

    170 30.52%
  • Manfrotto 055Pro

    63 11.31%
  • Gitzo tripods

    156 28.01%
  • Non of the above

    168 30.16%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 182

Thread: Which tripod?

  1. #141

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Do consider a tripod that can carry at least twice the weight of our current setup. You won't want to get something that has to be upgraded in a very near future. Other then tripod to consider a good ball head. Kangrinpoche, Arca Swiss and Markins are some brands you can consider. Manfrotto and Benro do not make very good ball head.
    Last edited by lightning; 22nd December 2009 at 06:06 PM.

  2. #142
    Member Dylan1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    691

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    Where can I get the cheapest manfrotto 190pro ? What's the price right now? Tia
    seems that what i checked is about 195-200 for that tripod. i am looking for tripod too

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Do consider a tripod that can carry at least twice the weight of our current setup. You won't to get something that has to be upgraded in a very near future. Other then tripod to consider a good ball head. Kangrinpoche, Arca Swiss and Markins are some brands you can consider. Manfrotto and Benro do not make very good ball head.
    i have read about the creeping, but good heads are so ex like markins n gitzo.
    If the limit of head n body is at least twice my camera weight, it should be quite ok rite?

  3. #143

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1987 View Post
    seems that what i checked is about 195-200 for that tripod. i am looking for tripod too



    i have read about the creeping, but good heads are so ex like markins n gitzo.
    If the limit of head n body is at least twice my camera weight, it should be quite ok rite?
    Well, my experience from Benro and manfrotto is that it always creep no matter how light the setup is. It has to do with how the ball head is being designed. Benro uses a small screw to tighten the ball head.... Hats off to their designer.

  4. #144
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Mine's Manfrotto 190XB.
    Love Manfrotto site too. It let you choose the ball head, and gives advice whether it's "balanced system" or not.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radix Lecti View Post
    You just cannot match Gitzo! I have 2 of them.. If find expensive, buy second hand lah!! Saw 2 at TCW yesterday!
    Thou speaketh in ignorance. If you want a really serious 3 legged support then nothing and I mean nothing comes close to Sachtler from Germany. The Sachtlers are a hexapod design (6 legs in to 3) and are the industry standard for professional video tripods are are favourted by professional wildlife photographers for stills work due to the light weight and massive load-carrying capabilities. A typical Sachtler CF legset will weigh under 2kg and be rated for a minimum of 50kg load. Setup time is under 10 seconds if you know what your doing.

    FYI Gitzo and Manfrotto are both owned by the same parent company which is the Vitec Group PLC from the UK. They also own Sachtler (Germany) and a number of other brands.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  6. #146

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Thou speaketh in ignorance. If you want a really serious 3 legged support then nothing and I mean nothing comes close to Sachtler from Germany. The Sachtlers are a hexapod design (6 legs in to 3) and are the industry standard for professional video tripods are are favourted by professional wildlife photographers for stills work due to the light weight and massive load-carrying capabilities. A typical Sachtler CF legset will weigh under 2kg and be rated for a minimum of 50kg load. Setup time is under 10 seconds if you know what your doing.

    FYI Gitzo and Manfrotto are both owned by the same parent company which is the Vitec Group PLC from the UK. They also own Sachtler (Germany) and a number of other brands.
    Right on, used to use a Sachtler for my Horseman 4x5. Incredible tripods.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  7. #147

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Thanks bro lightning for some info on 3541L.

    Went down to CP & checked up. Looking for a multi purpose tripod for all my shoots, light weight & portable. I was considering Gitzo all the while but at last got the Manfrotto 005CXPRO4 with the KangRinpoche Ball head after thinking for a while.

  8. #148

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by franciskc View Post
    Which do u prefer? No gitzo pls... too $$$$$
    Gitzo...You will only buy once...you will also save money in the long run...even if you give up this hobby...the Gitzo is worth lots in the resale market...

    2 cents worth...

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by mulia View Post
    Hi Stan, U got the same website in English??
    Here is the English Web-site.
    http://benro.cn/EnSite/EnDefault.aspx
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

  10. #150

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    i have a pentax kx dual lens kit 18-55 & 55-200.
    anyone can recommend a average for a new bie like me
    i hope i don have to spend more than 50 if worse to worse more than 100

  11. #151
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by lanxer View Post
    i have a pentax kx dual lens kit 18-55 & 55-200.
    anyone can recommend a average for a new bie like me
    i hope i don have to spend more than 50 if worse to worse more than 100
    no recommendation at that price range... i did have one tripod bought at 120sgd... china made china quality... can hold better than my hands... but no minor adjustments of composition allowed because it always creep like hell... long exposures always get vibrated by winds (gotta leave VR on when using tripod, no VR lens good luck)... it's a better than nothing kind of tripod...

    i think most people here recommended a decent one... and most people got those expensive tripods would tell you it worth it because most probably you'll only need one tripod if you bought the right one first...

  12. #152

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    i think most people here recommended a decent one... and most people got those expensive tripods would tell you it worth it because most probably you'll only need one tripod if you bought the right one first...
    Try to get 1 that can last you for a while. Taken into consideration your future lenses upgrade.
    But I think 1 is not enough if u are going for use those big telephoto zoom lenses in the future.

  13. #153

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    I am about 178, which one should i go for? 190 or 055 series?

  14. #154

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Thanks bro lightning for some info on 3541L.

    Went down to CP & checked up. Looking for a multi purpose tripod for all my shoots, light weight & portable. I was considering Gitzo all the while but at last got the Manfrotto 005CXPRO4 with the KangRinpoche Ball head after thinking for a while.

    How much did that cost? I have the same requirements as you.

  15. #155
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by markwee View Post
    I am about 178, which one should i go for? 190 or 055 series?
    If you're looking at the manfrotto. 055 series for your height, 190 series will be too short for you.

  16. #156

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Anybody saw cheap Gitzo GT1541 anywhere?

    Cathay selling $800, Tk so far cheapest at $770. I'm aiming for $740.

  17. #157
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by markwee View Post
    I am about 178, which one should i go for? 190 or 055 series?
    I am 178 too. And the 190 suits me just fine.

    And as a hobbyist, I just cannot justify sticks that are as expensive as the Gitzo. Maybe it is just me, that I have other priorities in life that need money too.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st March 2010 at 01:13 AM.

  18. #158
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Any value for money, robust, as heavy as possible tripod that suits me 172cm tall? I am not carrying it for travel, just something durable for long term. Weight is not a problem as I'm big build, I am afraid I'll break those aluminium ones
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  19. #159
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    Any value for money, robust, as heavy as possible tripod that suits me 172cm tall? I am not carrying it for travel, just something durable for long term. Weight is not a problem as I'm big build, I am afraid I'll break those aluminium ones
    These days, it seems like the 2 most popular materials for tripod construction are aluminium and carbon fibre.
    They're both pretty tough. Your height is pretty average, so most tripods should be catered for you.
    Try not to include the center column when calculating the height. For you, a tripod that is about 145cm when legs are fully extended and centre column retracted should be about right. Add in the ball head and the height of your camera, and the viewfinder should be at about eye level when you stand straight.
    The less leg sections there are, the sturdier it tends to be. Less sections means the folded length is quite great too... Probably 3 section is the best compromise.

    what's your budget?
    Exploring! :)

  20. #160

    Default Re: Which tripod?

    Would bending over be a much cheaper alternative for a 6 ft 3 in tall chap like me?

    Tripods from respectable brands that are suited for my height are incredibly expensive!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •