Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: unbranded extension tube

  1. #1

    Default unbranded extension tube

    there seems to be an increasing trend of macro shooter within the pentax community... I am curious, so I thought of having some fun with it too. Sharing this out so that we all can learn together.

    I just bought an K-mount extension tube from one of the ebay store for 20USD. Similar to my unbranded split screen (its working well), this is also one of the unbranded stuff from China. Initially, I thought that its some cheap skate plastic tube to do the extension trick. When I got the tube on friday, I find that all the five pieces of extension are quite well built. Full metal tube with tap screw threads. I wouldn't say that its anything of high precision, but its good enough not to have it struck in your camera bayont.

    There are five pieces of metal parts, so that we can re-configure the length of the extension. the mount, the bayont, and three rings of different length.

    WHY TUBE?
    tube is a dirt cheap way to gain magnification factor without loosing/degrading image quality. The image quality will depend on the lens that you use with the tube. real macro lens is expensive, so it is naturally not within reach of everyone. Using close-up filter, teleconvertor will introduce glass element and degrade the picture to a certain point.

    The tube allows me to go from minimum focusing distance of 45cm down to 10cm and below.. its interesting! BUT the downside of using tube is that the amount of light reaching the sensor is lesser and it will be difficult to take the snap handheld.

    Here is how the tube looks..

    all the five pieces...


    some initial test with the tube... (all five pieces mounted with M50/1.7 )


    ( this one above, i stopped down and it takes 5sec, eeiii.. look at the dust! )

    the life scale...


    basically, the more tube you add, the closer and nearer you can get to your object...

    cont..
    Last edited by seafone; 11th June 2007 at 12:05 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    behind the camera scene...



    quite amazing.. have fun! hahaa.


    cheerss...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Thanks for sharing bro. Might want to consider getting one to play with BTW you might want to consider cleaning your sensor

  4. #4

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Hi
    Thanks for the informative explanation. Do include where to buy the extension tubes and the cost too!
    Based on your explanation on disadvantages, it would mean usage would definitely have to be on tripod? That means this would be quite inconvenient for insect macrophotography?

    cheers..

  5. #5

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the informative explanation. Do include where to buy the extension tubes and the cost too!
    Based on your explanation on disadvantages, it would mean usage would definitely have to be on tripod? That means this would be quite inconvenient for insect macrophotography?

    cheers..
    price and where information are listed above.. click on the ebay store and it link to the ebay page. price is 20usd where you can see from the link.

    its a little inconvenient with the lost of light. I've yet to try this out with my 540 flash.. i've no time for insect now.

  6. #6

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Thanks for sharing bro. Might want to consider getting one to play with BTW you might want to consider cleaning your sensor
    haaaa.... it doesn't bother me. thkz.
    ok, i'll try to clean when i have time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the informative explanation. Do include where to buy the extension tubes and the cost too!
    Based on your explanation on disadvantages, it would mean usage would definitely have to be on tripod? That means this would be quite inconvenient for insect macrophotography?

    cheers..
    Hai,
    Airconvent, I got mine from Goshotcamera ebay ie seller identity. Got it for US 14.95 plus shipping. It is from china make and functional. I think the same as Sefone, from the picture posted. Another avenue for macro but loss of light as explained by Seafone. Three pieces

    For insects macro, this may not be practical cos of close distance needed.

    otc

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Seng Kang
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Actually, I also have the set of 3 bought off eBay....
    Brought the 2 shorter ones to show during the last Pentax outing....

  9. #9

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    thanks guys...

    Alan : Haha...I was not interested in the tubes at the time..should have taken a second look but I was too distracted by the other lenses there!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Tube can be useful with less active insects like grasshopper (those hidding in flower), spiders, etc. Why Pentax never come out with a >2:1 macro lens in the past

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Seng Kang
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Oh god... No....
    I'll be happy just snapping flowers with no insects in them...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by alanswan View Post
    Oh god... No....
    I'll be happy just snapping flowers with no insects in them...
    Flower no problem lah. In case ppl don't know this, you can hold the flower so it's easier to take them But must know where to hold so the hand not in the shot

  13. #13
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    If you can, try to get an extension tube with the coupling to allow automatic diaphragm operation and open aperture metering. It saves time and you don't have to stop down the aperture before shooting. Here's my Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K and a flower taken with it and a 100mm macro in front.






  14. #14

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    does it support AF??? or still manual focus.....

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Seng Kang
    Posts
    963

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    If you can, try to get an extension tube with the coupling to allow automatic diaphragm operation and open aperture metering. It saves time and you don't have to stop down the aperture before shooting. Here's my Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K and a flower taken with it and a 100mm macro in front.
    Your that set is like 3-4 times more expensive leh...
    Good investment for frequent macro shooters like longko I guess...
    I think I need to play around with more macro photography before I decide if I wanna invest in that...

  16. #16

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    The quality of the metal tubes looks good especially for USD$20 .
    I unknowingly got a set of plastic ones... does it's job but it I dun like the feel.
    I've since got a Vivitar 2X Macro which I just ... if someone wants the plastic extension tubes, please PM me... sell cheaply.

  17. #17
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by alanswan View Post
    Your that set is like 3-4 times more expensive leh...
    Good investment for frequent macro shooters like longko I guess...
    I think I need to play around with more macro photography before I decide if I wanna invest in that...
    Er...I only paid S$50 for them...
    but then again any extension tube works on the same principle.

  18. #18

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Er...I only paid S$50 for them...
    but then again any extension tube works on the same principle.
    Creampuff, where did you get it from? Set of 3 for S$50 or just one?

  19. #19
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by bitbat View Post
    Creampuff, where did you get it from? Set of 3 for S$50 or just one?
    Yes, that's the price I paid for all 3 pieces. I happened to chance upon it in a small photo finishing shop in Chinatown area earlier this year. It was in a box lumped together with other old and used stuff. Anyway the tubes were supposed to come in a nice Pentax leatherette pouch but that was missing. Didn't even come with caps. Imagine, I couldn't even bargain...

  20. #20

    Default Re: unbranded extension tube

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Yes, that's the price I paid for all 3 pieces. I happened to chance upon it in a small photo finishing shop in Chinatown area earlier this year. It was in a box lumped together with other old and used stuff. Anyway the tubes were supposed to come in a nice Pentax leatherette pouch but that was missing. Didn't even come with caps. Imagine, I couldn't even bargain...
    wah!.. S$50 for the 3 original asahi pentax tubes are a big steal!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •