Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you guys 'photoshop' often?

Default Re: do you guys 'photoshop' often?

I am still a newbie (almost 3 mos of shooting). My intention is to capture the moment perfectly on just 1, 2 or 3 shots and preserve it with minor or NO PP at all. I am not againts PP but hey I am lazy guy so most of the things I PP is just to adjust the levels/curves as to compensate for my exposure mistake and cropping...I don't insert signature as I know that people with awesome pp skills can remove it (that's jut my opinion).
    Harmony Through Photography
    Ericson FB Page

I have not touched photoshop even after getting my DSLR in March 07.
    I find it a chore. I know it can be crucial to 'bring out the best in the shot'
    rather than leave it original.

but for me the focus is to first get the shot right, and worry about PS later.
    Minor editing like contrast is fine for me right now.

the thrill is in the shot. not sitting in front of the desk.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If your skills are not good enough, no amount of photoshopping can save you. Post editing is often part of the work flow to enhance photos and bring out their potential to the fullest. Its not about saving bad photos.

Most often, sharpening, colour adjustment, cropping, etc are done in preparation for the final image to be sent to to printers or presentation to clients. Its all part of digital photography. Usage of photoshop does not necessarily means its applying "artistic effects" to photos. There is a line between digital photography and digital art though.
    Very well said , this is how I look at "photoshopping" as well.
    I think Photo-editting tools are quite important, if the photographer includes that into his/her work flow, the photos can really shine.

also considering not everyone in the clubsnap community are on the same skill level.
    so some of us have to do a lot more post processing. there will be many others here who dun at all.
    feel it's all on a continuum so no norm to speak of so as to speak.

i'm sure if we look at the different photo sub forums, you can see for some forums (and therefore some genres of photography), where PP is essential if not compulsory.

wah.. actually digital photography has really transformed photography. i wouldn't touch photography if i have to learn it the hard and expensive way in the darkroom.

Talking Re: do you guys 'photoshop' often?

I shoot in RAW so need Photoshop all de time

Quote Originally Posted by foxxkat View Post
    browsing in the Gallery and read quite a lot here at forums, seems a lot do some sort of photo editing after shoot.

any rationale? skills not good enough, or this is just the "norm"?

i thought editing pics are kept to the minimum. except for artistic effects.
    Post processing is just that, processing the file after we took the picture. No different than developing and printing films. I really do not understand what you really meant.

Your comment and some other's imply that using photoshop means saving badly taken pictures, how misguided that thought is.

If you shoot in RAW, you have to post process. If you don't then, there is nothing much more to say.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 14th June 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

i remember a quote, was it by ansel adams? saying that when you take a picture, the negative (raw file) is like the score and composition of a musical piece. developing and processing it afterwards is like the performance of the piece.

you cant just take a picture and expect everyone to understand what you're trying to put across by having them stare at your negative, no?

if you're a commercial photographer, the limit to processing is set by your client. but if u're an artist or hobbyist, there is no 'too much processing' until you feel you got what you want from the photo.
    Last edited by Clown; 14th June 2007 at 02:48 PM.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Post processing is just that, processing the file after we took the picture. No different than developing and printing films. I really do not understand what you really meant.

Your comment and some other's imply that using photoshop means saving badly taken pictures, how misguided that thought is.

If you shoot in RAW, you have to post process. If you don't then, there is nothing much more to say.
    What do you mean?

I dont shoot in raw as my camera doesnt have that function. But I am trying to get a camera which does raw.

RAW is a picture format akin to a digital negative, which cannot be readily read by normal webbrowsers or windows previews. it needs to be processed into jpeg or tiff for printing or for web.
    sigh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12