Thread: Home made Zing handstrap

Default Home made Zing handstrap

I have found that the neck strap gets in the way of the viewfinder when using the BG-ED3 vertical grip. Carrying the camera around without any strap is risky, and also very tiring on your hands and fingers.

Thanks to the kind person who put up pictures of the Zing handstrap, I have been able to fashion a similar strap out of commonly available materials. I understand the mass order fell through, so you might want to make your own.

All you need are:

1. The shoulder padding from the shoulder sling of any old camera bag.

2. A no-brand camera neck strap.

3. A tripod quick-release plate

Method:

1. Remove the shoulder pad from the shoulder sling.

2. Cut the camera strap to the appropriate size (you will have to estimate how much depending on your hand size - overestimate so that you can cut off the excess later, rather than cut it too short).

3. Thread the shoulder padding onto the camera strap.

4. Cut a couple of holes into the camera strap so that you can thread the screw of the quick-release plate through. Use this to fasten the strap onto the base of the camera. The QR plate clamps the strap onto the camera tightly, so you do not have to worry about the hole fraying and giving way. Make sure to angle it slightly backwards so that it covers more of your palm than your fingers.

5. Thread the other end of the camera strap through the eyelet the usual way.

Viola. You have a home made Zing.

This is how it looks like when held:

2 issues came up. The home made one is not as broad as the original Zing strap, so it is not as secure and comfortable. There is also chafing of the back of the hand, probably due to the fact that my shoulder padding was very old and mouldy.

I solved both problems by wearing one of my cycling gloves. No more chafing, and the strap becomes VERY secure due to the friction between the glove and the strap. In fact I can hang the camera from my hand without even curling up my fingers! Fits like a glove, you could say. And looks very professional, sia!

You can choose to use a broader shoulder padding strap instead, or make your own out of stiff sponge foam.

Note that this solution can be used on the camera WITHOUT the BG-ED3 grip as well (compared to the Canon hand grip which can only be used WITH a BG-ED3).

Dr DIY Strikes Again!!!

Good work! I was about to do something similar.

Guess one needs to find a more comfortable padding or resort to wearing gloves like you did.

BTW, did you reinforce the hole at the bottom(for the QRplate) with stitching or some metal eyelet? Think it might tear after prolonged use.

Very innovative! Super!

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    BTW, did you reinforce the hole at the bottom(for the QRplate) with stitching or some metal eyelet? Think it might tear after prolonged use.
    No, it won't tear, because the QR plate clamps the entire strap onto the camera base. In other words, it does not hang supported only by the hole in the strap.

hmm...then when u are going to shoot in protrait mode....then the handstrap and quick release plate will get into the way???
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

i've been hunting for the handstrap for so long liao... now guess no need.. can DIY even better.. thanks bro for sharing.

Originally posted by Wai
    hmm...then when u are going to shoot in protrait mode....then the handstrap and quick release plate will get into the way???
    this is exactly what I want to ask also. How to overcome this?

Originally posted by Wai
    actually the QR plate which i use with my Zing doesn't really affect me when i shooting portrait mode. but then my hands are quite big...

OT : i noticed that u have "gaffered" the word Canon on the LCD

look a bit ugly to me....may be u can conside the mini protector that Ivor MOing...it is just enough to cover the LCD display area, and cover the word "canon" below it....

btw....did u gaffer your 70-200L IS? if not no point to cover the little Canon logo on the LCD screen rite?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by Wai
    OT : i noticed that u have "gaffered" the word Canon on the LCD

look a bit ugly to me....may be u can conside the mini protector that Ivor MOing...it is just enough to cover the LCD display area, and cover the word "canon" below it....

btw....did u gaffer your 70-200L IS? if not no point to cover the little Canon logo on the LCD screen rite?
    I WANT it to be ugly and anonymous so nobody wants to steal it. Very grunge, no?

As for the IS, no point because I'll be using it when I'm an "official" photog, not when I'm street shooting.

Any chance you'll be DIYing a flash bracket?

Originally posted by MoriMori
    Any chance you'll be DIYing a flash bracket?
    I do not see much use of a flash bracket for SLRs, but here's one I built for my CP995, which should be the same concept if you want to adapt it for your SLR use.

The main components are :

a. 2 pieces of L-bracket that I got from a hardware store. I cut them to the desired size so that they form a "J" shape when put together.

b. Hot shoe mount for attaching the flash

c. Tripod mounting screw to attached the camera to the bracket

d. 2 pieces of countersink screws to hold the 2 L-brackets together

Tools required are:

a. hack saw
    b. metal file
    c. drill
    d. tapping tool

Points to note:

a. the tripod mount screw thread is 4/20 inch (not the metric system).
    b. Make that the tripod mounting hole on the bracket is in line with the lens optical axis, so that you can use it for panorama shots.
    c. I have added a tripod mounting hole for vertical mounting also (See picture below).
    d. the funny notch is to give way to the flash cable. Because of the location of the flash cable socket on the 995 body, the cable will hit the bracket so I had to open the notch.

Sorry for the OT post, Streetshooter.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by roygoh
    Sorry for the OT post, Streetshooter.
    - Roy
    No problem. Hehe. See this:

http://www.ourfamily.com.sg/flash.html