Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Multiple exposure can HDR?

  1. #1

    Default Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Just wondering if using multiple exposure on SLR, can it have some HDR effect?

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    yah, HDR makes use of multiple exposure of the same composition to create high dynamic range. but if you mean multiple exposure of altered composition ie. with a moving subject, might be difficult.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    as in two or more exposures on a single frame of film? you'll just get an overexposed image..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    yah, HDR makes use of multiple exposure of the same composition to create high dynamic range. but if you mean multiple exposure of altered composition ie. with a moving subject, might be difficult.


    Sorry, I actually meant film.

    So, it is possible to have a HDR-like image using multiple exposure when shooting flim, by exposing 2 or more times on the same frame?


    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    as in two or more exposures on a single frame of film? you'll just get an overexposed image..
    ...

    I thought it was possible since the second or the third exposure are layered together with the first with reduced opacity?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post


    Sorry, I actually meant film.

    So, it is possible to have a HDR-like image using multiple exposure when shooting flim, by exposing 2 or more times on the same frame?




    ...

    I thought it was possible since the second or the third exposure are layered together with the first with reduced opacity?
    obviously the film will go overexpose... you are basically increasing the exposure time. in Digital you start from 0, 0, 0 on the 2nd shot but not film

  6. #6
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post


    Sorry, I actually meant film.

    So, it is possible to have a HDR-like image using multiple exposure when shooting flim, by exposing 2 or more times on the same frame?
    does not know film darkroom techniques. theoretically, you need to reduce the exposure of each frame so that when add on, they would not become overexposed. even for digital, HDR also makes use of different opacity of different layers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    but doesn't film already have a higher dynamic range than digital? or am I wrong..

  8. #8

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    obviously the film will go overexpose... you are basically increasing the exposure time. in Digital you start from 0, 0, 0 on the 2nd shot but not film
    No..not increasing the exposure time, that's not really multiple exposure.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    but doesn't film already have a higher dynamic range than digital? or am I wrong..
    but not as wide as HDR

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    No..not increasing the exposure time, that's not really multiple exposure.
    well its not, but by exposing the same film twice in a "normal" and "over" exposure is somewhat like slowing the shutter by twice. unless you are talking about using 2 different film and then try to layer them in darkroom...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well its not, but by exposing the same film twice in a "normal" and "over" exposure is somewhat like slowing the shutter by twice. unless you are talking about using 2 different film and then try to layer them in darkroom...
    Is it?

    Hmm...I still don't think so, but must try.

    Multiple exposure won't overexpose the same film lar...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    Is it?

    Hmm...I still don't think so, but must try.

    Multiple exposure won't overexpose the same film lar...
    Multiple exposure with the same aperture of the same scene equals exposing a single time with shutter speed = sum of all exposures. It won't make any difference to the dynamic range. On film, the only way to increase dynamic range is to selectively expose - eg. using gradual ND filters, or multiple exposures with careful covering of part of the lens (is this practical?).

    If you'd like to think in Photoshop - it's like stacking layers in SCREEN mode.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    It's possible. You take the first frame of the landscape with the exposure setting of the landscape, while covering the scene of the sky. Without forwarding the film, you cover up the lower half of the scene, and expose for the sky. That way you can actually HDR.

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    Is it?

    Hmm...I still don't think so, but must try.

    Multiple exposure won't overexpose the same film lar...
    let say correct exposure is f8 1/250s, exposed the same frame with same exposure twice, is over 1 stop.

    exposed the same frame with same exposure 3 time, in over 1 1/2 stops.

    exposed the same frame with same exposure 4 time, in over 2 stops.

    exposed the same frame with same exposure 8 time, in over 3 stops.

    HDR effect is using digital post production, you can't do that on film

    you can't do multiple exposure on film to get HDR effect.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Multiple exposure can HDR?

    Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    It's possible. You take the first frame of the landscape with the exposure setting of the landscape, while covering the scene of the sky. Without forwarding the film, you cover up the lower half of the scene, and expose for the sky. That way you can actually HDR.
    that, is call masking, one of the photography special effect on film day.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •