Thread: Is there any interesting things to get from Japan?

Default Is there any interesting things to get from Japan?

Will be going to Japan next weekend for 8 days, the usual places like Toyko, Kyoto...

Is there any interesting things to buy in terms of photography stuffs which i can't get in Singapore? Or any super-duper good bargains I can get in Japan?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Is there any interesting things to get from Japan?

Hi Daniel,

I only know of Tokyo stores.
    1. Yodobashi Camera - Akihabara and Shinjyuku.
    Ridiculously large range of cameras and lenses, all displayed out to test-switch-test.
    3-4 pieces of each cam model (E-410, 400D, 30D, D80...) to play with, and equally large section of PnS. BUT....all at SRP. Tax free only for cam and lenses, not for accessories.
    Also large format cams available.

2. Map Camera - Shinjyuku
    Large range of 1st hand and 2nd hand lenses. Better pricing than Yodobashi.

3. BicCamera - cant remember where...
    Large floor to play with the cams. 90% SRP, but there are excellent gems of offers here and there. Any offer will be cheaper than Yodobashi. Worth visiting. Tax-free

4. SoftMap - Akihabara
    Smaller store, but all prices are below SRP already. Tax-free

Go prepared with local prices first, not everything is a deal.
    e.g. Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS USM F/2.8 can be 120,000yen, that's S$1530.
    All these stores have website of under their namesake.
    Will add more details if i can remember
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
    Flickr

my friend just texted me rates from Japan....he was there over the weekend so looked up a few lenses for me. sorry to say the prices are all either equal to or slightly more than S'pore. in which case better to buy here then. what's interesting is that there is a large range of used lenses there at some good prices. cheers.

Arrow Re: Is there any interesting things to get from Japan?

There's also a Yodobashi store in Umeda.

Remember to bring your passport for the tax free prices.

try 2nd camera shop

Smile Re: Is there any interesting things to get from Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamz View Post
    my friend just texted me rates from Japan....he was there over the weekend so looked up a few lenses for me. sorry to say the prices are all either equal to or slightly more than S'pore. in which case better to buy here then. what's interesting is that there is a large range of used lenses there at some good prices. cheers.
    Ya I agreed. I always tot that Japan is cheaper.. until I checked today (me in Osaka now, went Den Den Electronics town)that wat daydreamz said is true. Either more or the same... even at the Xchge rate of 100Yen = SGD$1.29! So I think either HKG or SIN has the best price.

Shinjuko Akihabara also not cheap either...
    International warranty comes with different price tag...

Happy shopping
    Last edited by Crabby; 13th June 2007 at 01:42 AM.
    Canon EOS 20D|EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS|EF 17-40mm f/4L|EF 85mmII f1.2L|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|580EX

Thanks all!

I managed to get a brand new Nikon 85mm f1.8 at Yodobashi, Shinjuku.

38,572 yen ~S$494

Happy

Sounds like you got a fantastic bargain.

Do you have pics of the camera floor at Yodobashi?
    Its such a large emporium of kool gadgets!
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dithiolium View Post
    Sounds like you got a fantastic bargain.

Do you have pics of the camera floor at Yodobashi?
    Its such a large emporium of kool gadgets!
    I'd love to take lotsa photos of the huge shop! But as it's my last day in Japan, i just mount a 50mm on my cam just for the purpose of testing out diff lenses in Yodobashi. So it's not that wide for me to shoot..

I also bought this:
    http://www.etsumi.co.jp/2007catalogue-e/spec.cgi?id=247
    got it below 8000yen after tax refund. ~S$100... Quite a good deal and i love it

Actually whatever i bought there got tax refund.. as long as it's more than 10000yen..

I also bought this:
    got it below 8000yen after tax refund. ~S$100... Quite a good deal and i love it

Actually whatever i bought there got tax refund.. as long as it's more than 10000yen..[/QUOTE]

S$100 for that hard case is good buy. Din see that when I was at Akihabara...
    I liked the way all the lenses just displayed out and ready for you to test/play.
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dithiolium View Post
    I also bought this:

Actually whatever i bought there got tax refund.. as long as it's more than 10000yen..
    S$100 for that hard case is good buy. Din see that when I was at Akihabara...
    I liked the way all the lenses just displayed out and ready for you to test/play.[/QUOTE]

As my trip was a package tour, we had very little time at Akihabara. ~1 hour only. And the tour guide brought us to this duty free shop, the range is so little, i can't even find a Nikon 85 1.8 there! All their lenses are quite low-end zoom lenses that's all. Apparently from what the guide told me, it's the largest there. But i like Shinjuku more. hehehe