Thread: CVT transmission discussion.

Default CVT transmission discussion.

Hello everyone.

It has been mentioned that one will feel the the acceleration (pick-up, in normal lingo) for cars fitted with CVT transmission is not good. I am wondering why is this so, since the ratio of the gears as constantly changing to suit the car's speed at that time. I would think that the gear ratio would be optimised. Please comment and/or correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Default Re: CVT transmission discussion.

My own experience....I tried my bro Honda Jazz 6 or 7 speed CVT, although the pickup is not as fast as manual gear, it certainly faster and smoother than any other auto mode that I have driven so far including Friend's and relative's Accord, BMW 5 series and Merz C200 My own Kia auto gear pick up is even more misserable

Low end torque also plays apart.

My toyota S-CVT have rubberband effect, something well known on CVT transmissions. Step accelerator, RPM goes up 1st, then speedo goes up shortly after.

But CVT really smooth and comfortable.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...er-band-effect
    Rubber band effect: when the accelerator pedal was pressed, conventional CVT immediately brings the rpm up to a high level. The engine put out its maximum performance with the corresponding level of noise but the car slowly catches up in acceleration. This gives one the feeling of a slipping clutch.
    Last edited by clicknick; 8th June 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    My own experience....I tried my bro Honda Jazz 6 or 7 speed CVT, although the pickup is not as fast as manual gear, it certainly faster and smoother than any other auto mode that I have driven so far including Friend's and relative's Accord, BMW 5 series and Merz C200 My own Kia auto gear pick up is even more misserable
    Oh I see. Thanks Big Kahuna. That was an insightful comment. (all based on personal experience!)

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick View Post
    Low end torque also plays apart.

My toyota S-CVT have rubberband effect, something well known on CVT transmissions. Step accelerator, RPM goes up 1st, then speedo goes up shortly after.

But CVT really smooth and comfortable.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...er-band-effect
    Rubber band effect: when the accelerator pedal was pressed, conventional CVT immediately brings the rpm up to a high level. The engine put out its maximum performance with the corresponding level of noise but the car slowly catches up in acceleration. This gives one the feeling of a slipping clutch.
    clicknick, thanks for your personal insight too!

One of the better CVT is found on the Fiat Punto 1.2A (Mk2b). It does an amazing job transmitting from power from the engines to the wheel. Pretty responsive too.

Someone on the mycarforum was so impress by it and thought it was a 1.6L car instead of 1.2L.
    http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1718363
    BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 8th June 2007 at 05:47 PM.