Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: First World Public Transport?

  1. #41
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    I think next step, must follow india, people must hang out of the bus
    Roof tops can also seat people.

    They must pay more because they have the best vantage seats.

    I like India leh. Before bus approaching bus stop people already running up and climbing. Bus also no need to stop already fully loaded liao.

    Must send the transport departmnt heads there to learn the system.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    you are lucky if you get even get a seat. sometimes the people are so packed, we have to stand on the entrance steps.
    I hope it's not one leg inside and the other outside.

  3. #43

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Nope its not. The offiicial reason given was so as to reduce congestion at the exit doors - you notice the removed seats area is always near the doors.
    Ah, then I mist be thinking of the more modern SMRT buses with the disabled ramps.

  4. #44

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I hope it's not one leg inside and the other outside.
    That's Manila.

  5. #45

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    There was once, i was on this Simply Buay Sai bus and there was a very strong carbon monoxide smell in it. Gee...it was a bonus. Paid the same amount of fare and get free carbon monoxide. Something must be wrong with the exhaust system of the bus but nobody cares, the bus continues to make it way to the depot with all the passengers, the old, the middle aged and the young. Wonder if there's any adverse influence on the baby in the bus?

    Another incident was worst. The bus was very, very jerky not sure if it's the driver or the bus itself. There was also carbon monoxide smell in it. After I alighted from the bus and turned back, to my shock, there was a fire underneath the bus and there are people including myself who are at the bus stop signalling to the driver but he just drove off thinking we are mad making signals.
    Carbon monoxide is odourless...if you can smell the exhaust, it's worse and more harmful !

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    EVQ, invite Penny Low for a bus ride around her estate la...will make her small eyes
    If there's a way to make her do that, I would like to try.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    I wanted to post these photos in Stomp, but lazy to create another a/c.
    Anyone here who has been posting in Stomp? Can help post my pic there?

    Btw, lets have more pictures, keep them coming & make this thread known to everyone in S'pore.

    I dun mind paying more for fare, but paying more yet get this type of services??!?!
    Enough is enough!

  8. #48

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by evq View Post
    Best of all, in Jan, I've once wrote to SBS to complain abt #87, very same bus, abt water leaking through the ceiling during raining. & it was so bad that the upper deck had accumulated a pool of water. Whenever the bus stopped or turned, the water will just splashed, wetting everyone's pants & shoes.
    do bring along your umbrella or raincoat next time.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    do bring along your umbrella or raincoat next time.
    & a mop too

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    In my city in England, their policy is 'everyone should have a seat' on the bus. In Singapore, our policy is 'everyone should squeeze'. I think that is not very right. Yes, moving to the back is a graceful virtue, but they don't know that assigning more buses is a better deal than asking people to squeeze. How much can you squeeze? That's the point. Moreover, if a bus is too packed, it can be dangerous in case of an accident.
    i would mind squeezing just a bit, but some passengers had " extreme forms of body odour " that pose a serious challenge to explore new breathing techniques in that sardine can !!


  11. #51
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Talking about squeezing. Try taking MRT during the morning rush hour or in the evening when people are rushing to go home. The train is already sardine pack and people are reading newspaper in the train (esp in the morning). Can't they wake up a little earlier and do it before they come out or do it in the office lah. Their newspaper will be poking the person infront of them and their elbows will be banging or at least intruding into their neighbours 'personal space'. Some of them would like to 'stick' to you also. You move an inch away from them to give yourself more personal space and he will just move another inch closer to you. What the F***, do I know you very well? Some are worst, doing pole dancing. The train is already pack and they purposely want to lean on the pole, depriving others from holding on to the pole to balance themselves. There was once, I was holding on to the pole and this bloody guy boarded the train and lean on the pole although my hand was holding on to it. What is that? I'm Hollow Man?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  12. #52
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    do bring along your umbrella or raincoat next time.
    Put on a bikini lah Sio Chia.

  13. #53

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    i would mind squeezing just a bit, but some passengers had " extreme forms of body odour " that pose a serious challenge to explore new breathing techniques in that sardine can !!

    but if got pretty girl, i think you don't mind!

  14. #54

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by evq View Post
    & a mop too
    don't forget your pail too

  15. #55
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: First World Public Transport?

    OMG, Bugis SMRT staff sleeping on the job.

    http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...0&page=1&pp=15

    About 60 commuters were locked out of Bugis MRT station this morning, even after the first train arrived at the station.

    The main gates to the underground station were still locked when 52-year-old hawker George Lim arrived at about 5.45 am this morning. The first train arrived at around 6am, and by then, a crowd of about 60 had gathered and were knocking on the doors, hoping to alert the station staff.

    Said George: "We could see that the staff were in the station control, but he wasn't moving and we initially thought that he had fainted."

    But they soon realised that he had been sleeping, when passengers from the first train managed to wake him up from his slumber.

    According to George, this is not the first time that it's happened. He said: "I think it's happened about five times already," said George, who takes the first train almost everyday.

    "People on their way to work might be delayed, especially workers taking the MRT to transfer to Jurong Island," he added.

    STOMP contacted SMRT for comment, and this is their response:

    "We regret the inconvenience caused to passengers due to the delay in the opening of Bugis Station this morning.

    Following the incident, we conducted investigations immediately. The station was scheduled for opening at 5.40am, 10 minutes before the arrival of the first westbound train at 5.52am. Our Station Manager on duty had followed the necessary procedures to prepare for the opening of the station in the morning. After preparations were made, he took a short rest at the Passenger Service Centre as he was not feeling well. Unfortunately, he missed the time to open the station. The station was subsequently opened at about 5.55am.

    We will counsel the staff concerned to prevent a similar occurrence.

  16. #56

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    OMG, Bugis SMRT staff sleeping on the job.

    http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...0&page=1&pp=15

    About 60 commuters were locked out of Bugis MRT station this morning, even after the first train arrived at the station.

    The main gates to the underground station were still locked when 52-year-old hawker George Lim arrived at about 5.45 am this morning. The first train arrived at around 6am, and by then, a crowd of about 60 had gathered and were knocking on the doors, hoping to alert the station staff.

    Said George: "We could see that the staff were in the station control, but he wasn't moving and we initially thought that he had fainted."

    But they soon realised that he had been sleeping, when passengers from the first train managed to wake him up from his slumber.

    According to George, this is not the first time that it's happened. He said: "I think it's happened about five times already," said George, who takes the first train almost everyday.

    "People on their way to work might be delayed, especially workers taking the MRT to transfer to Jurong Island," he added.

    STOMP contacted SMRT for comment, and this is their response:

    "We regret the inconvenience caused to passengers due to the delay in the opening of Bugis Station this morning.

    Following the incident, we conducted investigations immediately. The station was scheduled for opening at 5.40am, 10 minutes before the arrival of the first westbound train at 5.52am. Our Station Manager on duty had followed the necessary procedures to prepare for the opening of the station in the morning. After preparations were made, he took a short rest at the Passenger Service Centre as he was not feeling well. Unfortunately, he missed the time to open the station. The station was subsequently opened at about 5.55am.

    We will counsel the staff concerned to prevent a similar occurrence.
    just be very very thankful that he is not the one driving the train!

  17. #57

    Default Re: First World Public Transport?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    There was once, i was on this Simply Buay Sai bus and there was a very strong carbon monoxide smell in it. Gee...it was a bonus. Paid the same amount of fare and get free carbon monoxide.
    Hmm, maybe there is carbon monoxide in the gases, but carbon monoxide itself is odourless...

    But I know what you mean, somethings the smell of exhaust is unbearable, especially if one takes the last row of seats.

  18. #58

    Smile Re: First World Public Transport?

    i once claimed for full refund when i felt that there was 'no aircon' where i sat. it was so bad that the affected communters, myself included, open the sliding windows to get some fresh air in. upon reaching the interchange, i lodged a refund request. subsequently, i was given a token ticket to be used for a fresh trip. end of story.

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Used to all these...

    Can't beat those with stale airconditioning or aircon service "macam no aircon"... that's even worse..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •