Thread: More notes on the EOS 10D

Default More notes on the EOS 10D

Yes, it's definitely a great improvement over the D30, in many ways.

In no particular order:

1. The strap eyelet on the right has a smoother and wider curve, making it easier to thread in the strap. A very minor detail, but makes a difference.

2. Exposure is more accurate. The D30 was constantly underexposing, and needed EV +1/2 or +1/3 most of the time. The 10D is spot on. One thing to note is that the LCD default brightness setting (3) is a bit too bright, and may make your picture seem overexposed (but this is not the case, if you check the histogram). I initially dialled in EV -1/3 until I realised it. Reducing the LCD brightness to level (2) makes the LCD preview more accurate (but always check the histogram anyway).

3. I've already mentioned the much better AF. Today I let the camera choose which AF point to use, and it's accurate 85-90% of the time. So I just frame the shot, without worrying about which AF point is being activated, and having to recompose after achieving AF. A true P&S camera. But I would probably still choose the central AF point and recompose for critical shots.

4. E-TTL was reportedly (on depreview) more accurate, so I bought a 420EX and tested this. Bingo! No more wildly varying exposures, depending on where the AF point was. No need to FEL then recompose. Just set your exposure settings manually to whatever you want, and fire away. Perfect exposure every time. Those with long memories will recall I had sold off my 420EX in disgust due to its performance with the D30.

5. You can now set the external flash to emit AF assist but not fire. This is a bit moot, now that I have an ST-E2 as well, but it was an option not available on the D30. I understand the D60 had this option?

Oh yes, the image review IS definitely slower, but that's OK with me. The other complaint on dpreview was about the dial on the back being flimsy - I find that it's not so, just that it's not ribbed. In fact I like the feel of the new dial and set button better. Smoother.

More later

Default Re: More notes on the EOS 10D

Originally posted by StreetShooter

5. You can now set the external flash to emit AF assist but not fire. This is a bit moot, now that I have an ST-E2 as well, but it was an option not available on the D30. I understand the D60 had this option?

Oh yes, the image review IS definitely slower, but that's OK with me. The other complaint on dpreview was about the dial on the back being flimsy - I find that it's not so, just that it's not ribbed. In fact I like the feel of the new dial and set button better. Smoother.

More later
    yes...D60 and 10D allows the flash to emit AF assit but not fire...if u dun mind the size of the flash, this is really a good replacement for ST-E2...read somewhere that hte range for 550EX AF assist is even better than ST-E2

i agree that image review is slower...but now we are talking abt 6MP pic...not 3MP in D30
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Well, I got the ST-E2 and 2 420EX so that I could do studio shots. Much better than guesstimating the exposure. Not really that necessary for the 10D, because of the better AF, but I can use it for my D30.

One other thing: image preview on the 10D has the exposure settings superimposed on the image, unlike the D30 where you could see that info only if you chose the info screen (with a smaller thumbnail).

Originally posted by StreetShooter

One other thing: image preview on the 10D has the exposure settings superimposed on the image, unlike the D30 where you could see that info only if you chose the info screen (with a smaller thumbnail).
    yes! that's another improvement..u can see the shutter speed and aperture size on image preview...no need to press info button

You guys can moonlight an Sellavision as a team...

"Only $2999.99 for the first 99 customers. Call now!"

but ETTL wise I never had probs with my eos 50 either.. although full ETTL was more for non-critical uses...

but ur AF AI improvement sounds good... eos 30 users?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx
    but ur AF AI improvement sounds good... eos 30 users?
    yeah...i use EOS30 too...what can i help u?

Originally posted by Wai
    yeah...i use EOS30 too...what can i help u?
    how's the 2's AF compare? similar or 10d is retweaked?

how's the 2's AF compare? similar or 10d is retweaked?
    they are the same wat...

Originally posted by Wai
    they are the same wat...
    exactly ah? canon thought well-knowned for retweaking components..

exactly ah? canon thought well-knowned for retweaking components..
    there is something physically similar in 10D and EOS 30

i am not sure if that is the AF sensor, but if u take out the lens and look at the right hand side, near the mirror, u will see a rectangular box and 2 sensors inside

both my EOS 30 and 10D have it...but for the D30/60, there are no sensors there....i am not sure if higher end model like 1D, EOS 3 have it too?

Last edited by Wai; 31st March 2003 at 12:25 AM.

Streetshooter: what mode do u use on 10D when using ETTL? M mode or P mode?

M Mode. I set the aperture as I like for desired DOF, and shutter speed as I like to freeze the motion (or otherwise). ISO 100 yields nicer results, especially if I bounce off the ceiling. Otherwise I use higher ISO (and lower shutter speed) to capture more of the ambient light.

Originally posted by Wai
    they are the same wat...
    Ok...I wouldn't go to the extent of saying their AF speed are the same even though Canon claims the AF of the 2 to be the same.

Speaking from the experience of using EOS 30 for almost 21 months, i.e. since July 2001, the transition from getting used to the AF of EOS 30 to that of EOS 10D is very smooth. I don't feel like I've downgraded in terms of AF speed.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
    Ok...I wouldn't go to the extent of saying their AF speed are the same even though Canon claims the AF of the 2 to be the same.

Speaking from the experience of using EOS 30 for almost 21 months, i.e. since July 2001, the transition from getting used to the AF of EOS 30 to that of EOS 10D is very smooth. I don't feel like I've downgraded in terms of AF speed.
    could it be becoz you're using canon lens?
    anyone hv experience with sigma for EOS 30 and 10D?

Slightly off-topic, whats the mean street price of a 10D in Singapore now?

Originally posted by nivlekx
    Slightly off-topic, whats the mean street price of a 10D in Singapore now?
    ~$2750.

Default Re: Re: More notes on the EOS 10D

Originally posted by Wai

i agree that image review is slower...but now we are talking abt 6MP pic...not 3MP in D30
    Image Review is slower than D60 too...

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    ~$2750.
    Thats actually a pretty good price for a DSLR, too bad I just a poor student. Gonna get one when I go out and start work!!

Originally posted by nivlekx
    Thats actually a pretty good price for a DSLR, too bad I just a poor student. Gonna get one when I go out and start work!!
    Don't lose heart! By the time you start work, the DSLRs will be better and more affordable!