Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: girl who drowned in rasa shang

Default Re: girl who drowned in rasa shang

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    i often wonder about this too.

sometimes during the weekday. there are too many lifeguards. lifeguards walking around with nothing to do. because nobody in the pool.

but during the weekend, when there are a lot of people, there are less lifeguards!
    i don't about other pools, but this is what happens in mine.
    Its a day job for some mah, unless u pay more for them to OT lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Deregistered

Some of those lifeguards I see nowadays, hmph

I think regarding photojournalism, its hard to imagine how they do it, when you are comfortably sitting at home, but I guess when there are survival and emotional stimulants, one will perform, of course each of us performs differently, some are better than others, while there are also those who can never make it there, but are perhaps world best fashion shooters.

No comments on what the parents did right or wrong, I think its highly inconsiderate
    Last edited by nikontiger; 6th June 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Again, we should not blame or even rely on lifeguards. One person should blame is themselves (parents).

Simple logical sense will know when we are nearby a pool (especially a deep swimming pool) they should take extra pre cautions. It's not the first time a child drown in a public or a private swimming pools (with life guards around). It has happen before and it will happen again if parents are not alert enough.

Never take chances.

As for photojournalism, we have to look on both sides. If you are the SPH photographer who is under their payroll, are you going to tell your editor you miss the shot?

If one wants to be all emotional, then one might as well live in a bubble... The world is cruel, people die, people get raped, murdered. What we have in Singapore is peanut news... in countries like Iraq, death is a daily affair.

If we get all emotional and say... hiya so poor thing, I dont think I want to take the photo then you are doing injustice to the dead. For they might have died but their stories could be an catalyst for change. However if you simply sweep their death under the carpet, it is as good as pretending the world is beautiful, there is no suffering.. so let us all go drink our cocktails and eat our buffets... "what? what did u say? What who die? Hiya no picture.. who knows if it is true... dont care lah.... "
    End of the day a picture tells a thousand words, dont let the picture be taken in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    i often wonder about this too.

sometimes during the weekday. there are too many lifeguards. lifeguards walking around with nothing to do. because nobody in the pool.

but during the weekend, when there are a lot of people, there are less lifeguards!
    i don't about other pools, but this is what happens in mine.
    The last time I swam (in SG) was at Safra Mount Faber and they had PRCs (a stout female) for lifeguards.
    Nowadays with everything being outsourced (whether be it foreigners or some cheapo organizations), no-one cares about responsibility or integrity any more.

So what if a girl drown in the lifeguard's pool or bay?
    Give the lifeguard a "F" for his / her appraisal?

Btw, where can I find this news online?
    Last edited by Hoky; 7th June 2007 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i wonder those photogs who took the pics felt anything at all.at such a scene like this, one can still depress the shutter button?i know it's their job.but i've tried putting myself in their shoes for these roles, and i think i'll be sacked.
    Jeanie... ever heard of Kevin Carter?
    http://worldsfamousphotos.com/strick...camp-1993.html
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

I think the local news in SG is toned down greatly already.

You should watch some of the news channels in neighbouring countries. Plenty of blood, gore and violence. Real stuff. Not hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    The last time I swam (in SG) was at Safra Mount Faber and they had PRCs (a stout female) for lifeguards.
    Nowadays with everything being outsourced (whether be it foreigners or some cheapo organizations), no-one cares about responsibility or integrity any more.

So what if a girl drown in the lifeguard's pool or bay?
    Give the lifeguard a "F" for his / her appraisal?

Btw, where can I find this news online?
    u can subscribe to straits times.recently they launch a new free website.

www.straitstimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Wang View Post
    Jeanie... ever heard of Kevin Carter?
    http://worldsfamousphotos.com/strick...camp-1993.html
    nope.
    that is one sick photo.
    sigh.i hate birds.
    especially those who poo on my car.
    i wish i have a shotgun with me all the time.

ok...bad taste joke.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    nope.
    that is one sick photo.
    sigh.i hate birds.
    especially those who poo on my car.
    i wish i have a shotgun with me all the time.

ok...bad taste joke.
    you have a cool way of twisting things out of context...

so should all the doctors who treat terminally ill children... or those in the A&E break down n cry everytime they see a heart wrenching situation? I guess it takes someone who can detach emotons for that moment... and carry on their duty. what they are paid to do... photojournalists included....

Quote Originally Posted by Octane69 View Post
    you have a cool way of twisting things out of context...

so should all the doctors who treat terminally ill children... or those in the A&E break down n cry everytime they see a heart wrenching situation? I guess it takes someone who can detach emotons for that moment... and carry on their duty. what they are paid to do... photojournalists included....
    which is why these people are worth every cent of respect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12