Thread: Zoom Close-up Lens or Close-up Lens

Default Zoom Close-up Lens or Close-up Lens

Hi, I dont know if this is the right room to ask this but

What is the difference between a Zoom Close-up Lens and a Close-up Lens?

thsi is because i noticed that a Close-up lens comes with a +1,+2,+3....+10

but a Zoom close-up lens does not indicated any.

and also, which is better?

Default Re: Zoom Close-up Lens or Close-up Lens

Quote Originally Posted by sherwinsm View Post
    Hi, I dont know if this is the right room to ask this but

What is the difference between a Zoom Close-up Lens and a Close-up Lens?

thsi is because i noticed that a Close-up lens comes with a +1,+2,+3....+10

but a Zoom close-up lens does not indicated any.

and also, which is better?
    use extension tubes.

give it to me anytime

no one seemed to answer my question.

use extension tube? for what?

heres the pic i was talking about, its a zoom close-up lens, but no indicator whether a +1,+2,etc.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/254/5...e3502d.jpg?v=0

+1+2 is filter close up lens..

Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    +1+2 is filter close up lens..
    so whats the difference between the two?

so whats the difference between the two?
    Filters go in front of the lens.

Extension tubes goes between the lenses and the bodies.

heres the pic i was talking about, its a zoom close-up lens, but no indicator whether a +1,+2,etc.

It is looks like variable close-up filter. I don't think the quality produce by variable close-up filter can be better than normal close-up filter. Unless, the variable close-up filter using achromatic elements compare to normal single element of close-up filter.

Go for real macro/micro lens if you have fund. Don't waste money buying something that you will regret for its quality.

Regards,
    Arto.

Close-up filter, macro filter, diopter filter all the same thing with many names. It is a kind of filter that is used just like any other filter. It shortens the focal length of the lens it is used on, enabling a closer focus and thus a larger magnification. It introduces some (quite a lot of) distortion of different kind, unless you'd use the most expensive ones. IMO, not very useful for any valuable image, but usually very cheap and for some ppl, the results are good enough.

Extension tube is a tube you put in between the lens and the camera. Focal point is moved forward by the tube(s) and thus the magnification is increased. A rule of thumb is that to get a 1:1 magnification you need a tube that has the length of the lenses focal length. That means that if you use a 50mm lens than you'd need an extension tube of 50mm to get 1:1 magnification when the lens is at infinity. This is not a 100% truth but near. There are some other factors to take into account also but those are not important to most ppl. Image quality is not distorted at all since no glass elemets are added. Some lenses are giving better results than others, as always. IMO, zooms are the easiest to use since you can just decide a distance and than focus with the zoom ring, which is quite easy. You can add almost any length of extension tubes but you loose a great deal of light that you have to compensate for. The working distance is also very narrow, DOF normally 1mm or less at higher magnification. Maximum magnification is the point when the working distance is 0mm at which point the focus begins inside the lens tube so it is not usable any more. This is just theory, in real life you'd stop adding more extension when the working distance becomes less than about 2-3 cm since it becomes very difficult to focus and to light the subject. Bellows are a better alternative for large magnification. These are the same as tubes but seamless adjustable in length until the total length is reached.

A dedicated macro lens gives always the best result. These are optically adjusted for near focusing. Quality varies even here, just because you can focus near and take 1:1 images does not mean the quality is equally good in all lenses. A macro lens can focus from 1:1 (or as near as it can) to infinity. That is not an option with the other two alternatives.

I don't know anything about the close-up zoom you are showing, but I would not spend money on it.

Put it simply:

Quality wise go for a dedicated macro lens first, IMO something between 50 and 150mm. After that, best results are given by extension tubes or bellows. Tubes and macro lenses can also work together. Worst is the quality if you use close-up filters. I suppose absolutely the worst would be the kind of screw on type of close-up zoom you show, but I can be wrong on that.

I hope this is answer enough, otherwise I suggest you make a search on each item, which is a good idea before starting any thread anyway. Don't assume and expect answer demanding others to do your homework. Thera are many threads started and commented regarding macro on CS and even more on Internet. If you could find CS, register and start a thread, I suppose you know how to do a search instead of crying out "no one seemed to answer my question" so quickly. Frankly, questions like "use extension tube? for what?" I find arrogant. Just open Google and type "extension tube" and a camera brand, you will get millions of hit.

BTW, the least you can do is state your equipment. After all this writing, I just realized that all I know, you may use a P&S, and than not much of the above is applicable. Stupidly, I was assuming you had a dSLR, so maybe I just wasted my time answering. Please, do a better homework next time.

hey, sorry if i sounded arrogant in my previous statements, i didnt mean to, believe me, maybe i was just in a hurry coz someone was offering a zoom close-up lens which i dont know if i have to buy it.

anyway, thanks olyflyer, for opening up, gave me a good idea of what these lens are. many thanks

hey, sorry if i sounded arrogant in my previous statements, i didnt mean to, believe me, maybe i was just in a hurry coz someone was offering a zoom close-up lens which i dont know if i have to buy it.

anyway, thanks olyflyer, for opening up, gave me a good idea of what these lens are. many thanks
    You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    Close-up filter, macro filter, diopter filter all the same thing with many names. It is a kind of filter that is used just like any other filter. It shortens the focal length of the lens it is used on, enabling a closer focus and thus a larger magnification. It introduces some (quite a lot of) distortion of different kind, unless you'd use the most expensive ones. IMO, not very useful for any valuable image, but usually very cheap and for some ppl, the results are good enough.

Extension tube is a tube you put in between the lens and the camera. Focal point is moved forward by the tube(s) and thus the magnification is increased. A rule of thumb is that to get a 1:1 magnification you need a tube that has the length of the lenses focal length. That means that if you use a 50mm lens than you'd need an extension tube of 50mm to get 1:1 magnification when the lens is at infinity. This is not a 100% truth but near. There are some other factors to take into account also but those are not important to most ppl. Image quality is not distorted at all since no glass elemets are added. Some lenses are giving better results than others, as always. IMO, zooms are the easiest to use since you can just decide a distance and than focus with the zoom ring, which is quite easy. You can add almost any length of extension tubes but you loose a great deal of light that you have to compensate for. The working distance is also very narrow, DOF normally 1mm or less at higher magnification. Maximum magnification is the point when the working distance is 0mm at which point the focus begins inside the lens tube so it is not usable any more. This is just theory, in real life you'd stop adding more extension when the working distance becomes less than about 2-3 cm since it becomes very difficult to focus and to light the subject. Bellows are a better alternative for large magnification. These are the same as tubes but seamless adjustable in length until the total length is reached.

A dedicated macro lens gives always the best result. These are optically adjusted for near focusing. Quality varies even here, just because you can focus near and take 1:1 images does not mean the quality is equally good in all lenses. A macro lens can focus from 1:1 (or as near as it can) to infinity. That is not an option with the other two alternatives.

I don't know anything about the close-up zoom you are showing, but I would not spend money on it.

Put it simply:

Quality wise go for a dedicated macro lens first, IMO something between 50 and 150mm. After that, best results are given by extension tubes or bellows. Tubes and macro lenses can also work together. Worst is the quality if you use close-up filters. I suppose absolutely the worst would be the kind of screw on type of close-up zoom you show, but I can be wrong on that.

I hope this is answer enough, otherwise I suggest you make a search on each item, which is a good idea before starting any thread anyway. Don't assume and expect answer demanding others to do your homework. Thera are many threads started and commented regarding macro on CS and even more on Internet. If you could find CS, register and start a thread, I suppose you know how to do a search instead of crying out "no one seemed to answer my question" so quickly. Frankly, questions like "use extension tube? for what?" I find arrogant. Just open Google and type "extension tube" and a camera brand, you will get millions of hit.

BTW, the least you can do is state your equipment. After all this writing, I just realized that all I know, you may use a P&S, and than not much of the above is applicable. Stupidly, I was assuming you had a dSLR, so maybe I just wasted my time answering. Please, do a better homework next time.
    hi olyflyer,
    this is very useful information. thanks so much.
    =0)