Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

  1. #1

    Default Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Hi guys,

    I'm new here and couldnt find more info else where on the net. Hence, I'm here to ask you guys something about macro converter...

    I came across the thread @ http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=255554 where Stevewhy mentioned about "Teleplus Macro MC7"..

    I went up to the store and enquire about this converter but get confused..

    The keeper told me that the Teleplus MC7 2x is for telephoto, while "Triplus Digital C-AF" is the macro converter that I should be looking for.. it's priced @ $170

    I need some advise from you guys

    What should I get? Which one is it?

    My aim: to convert my 50mm prime lens into 1:1 macro lens

    THANKS!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    go for the triplus... the teleplus 2x is only capable of getting you 2x the magnification but your working distance is remains

  3. #3

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Thanks! But I couldnt find much information on Triplus hmm... could anyone tell me more?

    By the way, I discovered "Raynox MacroExplorer Macro Lens Set CM-2000A" @ http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....5498&rd=1&rd=1

    Anyone has any idea on comparison between these two?

    Not to offense anyone here, and I understand that shouldnt be judging the book by its cover, but I feels that Raynox CM-2000A a little not-so-keen on its packaging.. that's why I need more ideas

    Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by ch3nyong View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm new here and couldnt find more info else where on the net. Hence, I'm here to ask you guys something about macro converter...

    I came across the thread @ http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=255554 where Stevewhy mentioned about "Teleplus Macro MC7"..

    I went up to the store and enquire about this converter but get confused..

    The keeper told me that the Teleplus MC7 2x is for telephoto, while "Triplus Digital C-AF" is the macro converter that I should be looking for.. it's priced @ $170

    I need some advise from you guys

    What should I get? Which one is it?

    My aim: to convert my 50mm prime lens into 1:1 macro lens

    THANKS!!
    I think both you and the salesman are confusing something.

    The macro converter Stevewhy is mentioning is called Teleplus Macro MC7, it converts a 50mm standard lens, set to infinity into a 1:1 macro. It is a kind of adjustable extension tube with optics and the magnification can be adjusted between 1:10 and 1:1. I think his, just like mine is made for film cameras and can only use manual focus, older lenses. I have a Panagor Auto Macro Converter and that is about the same.

    The Triplus Digital C-AF is a set of extension tubes, no optics. It can be used on any lens, magnification depends on the lens and the number of tubes you use.

    In both cases you loose some light, how much, depends on the magnification. A macro converter gives better results in some cases because it concentrates the light to the image area and because the optics are corrected (as much as it is possible) for near image. Extension tubes may give better results with high quality macro lenses. Anyway, the macro converter gives more flexibility and easier to work with. The working distance is also more with macro converter than with extension tubes.

    If you need more information, please follow the link I included in Stevewhy's thread. The things I did, and say, can be applyed to any brand, not only Olympus; which I am using.

    Do not confuse any of these two with a Teleconverter. These only extends the focal length, so a 2x TC makes a 50mm into a 100mm but never into a 100mm macro.

    I have no idea what ExplorerZ is meant about the Teleplus is only capable of 2x magnification. I think he/she misunderstood something. Teleplus is a company that makes Macro converters AND Tele converters. Stevewhy is talking about Macro converters, just like I am.

    BTW, I don't think you can buy Macro converters in any shop except second hand. You have to buy them via eBay or some other auction site or a second hand shop. As far as I know, these are not made any more.

    Here is another link to a post I made regarding extension tubes, I don't know if you are interested, but maybe if you have a look regarding some more questions to consider.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....34&postcount=8
    Last edited by OlyFlyer; 5th June 2007 at 03:36 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    I think both you and the salesman are confusing something.

    The macro converter Stevewhy is mentioning is called Teleplus Macro MC7, it converts a 50mm standard lens, set to infinity into a 1:1 macro. It is a kind of adjustable extension tube with optics and the magnification can be adjusted between 1:10 and 1:1. I think his, just like mine is made for film cameras and can only use manual focus, older lenses. I have a Panagor Auto Macro Converter and that is about the same.

    The Triplus Digital C-AF is a set of extension tubes, no optics. It can be used on any lens, magnification depends on the lens and the number of tubes you use.

    In both cases you loose some light, how much, depends on the magnification. A macro converter gives better results in some cases because it concentrates the light to the image area and because the optics are corrected (as much as it is possible) for near image. Extension tubes may give better results with high quality macro lenses. Anyway, the macro converter gives more flexibility and easier to work with. The working distance is also more with macro converter than with extension tubes.

    If you need more information, please follow the link I included in Stevewhy's thread. The things I did, and say, can be applyed to any brand, not only Olympus; which I am using.

    Do not confuse any of these two with a Teleconverter. These only extends the focal length, so a 2x TC makes a 50mm into a 100mm but never into a 100mm macro.

    I have no idea what ExplorerZ is meant about the Teleplus is only capable of 2x magnification. I think he/she misunderstood something. Teleplus is a company that makes Macro converters AND Tele converters. Stevewhy is talking about Macro converters, just like I am.

    BTW, I don't think you can buy Macro converters in any shop except second hand. You have to buy them via eBay or some other auction site or a second hand shop. As far as I know, these are not made any more.

    Here is another link to a post I made regarding extension tubes, I don't know if you are interested, but maybe if you have a look regarding some more questions to consider.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....34&postcount=8
    I meant tele converter which most probably the salesman is talking about.. kenko call it teleplus.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 5th June 2007 at 06:36 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    I meant tele converter which most probably the salesman is talking about.. kenko call it teleplus.
    Yes, OK, but then somebody is really not knowing what he/she is talking about. Tele converters are used for converting a lens to a different focal length. A macro converter is converting a lens to a macro capable lens but keeping the focal length. An extension tube is enabling a lens to focus much closer to the front element thus creating a macro effect. So, while the macro converter and the extension tube can be seen as similar in a way, but a TC has definitely nothing to do with any of those.

    It is also important not to confuse brand name with an equipment that (and many other) company is making. Teleplus is a company, tele converter is an equipment made by many companies, just like extension tubes and macro converters.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    MC7 is not a "macro" converter. It is just a normal teleconverter.

    More information here:
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-02.html

    I guess Triplus is an extension tube. Kenko has a extension tube named Uniplus. I guess it is similar or it could be the same ast the Kenko Teleplus Extension Tubes which comes in a set of 3 lengths.

    BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 5th June 2007 at 03:28 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    MC7 is not a "macro" converter. It is just a normal teleconverter.

    More information here:
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-02.html

    I guess Triplus is an extension tube. Kenko has a extension tube named Uniplus. I guess it is similar or it could be the same ast the Kenko Teleplus Extension Tubes which comes in a set of 3 lengths.

    BC
    That is I believe all wrong. The 2x NAS Macro TELEPLUS MC7 is indeed a macro converter, not a tele converter. It seems that the company creates some confusion, but anyway, MC stands for Multi Coated and 7 stands for 7 elements. I guess the 2x is just indicating you'll lose 2 steps of light when using it. There is no single product called MC7. You have to use the full product name to describe the product since there is a macro converter MC7 and a tele converter MC7 but they are used for two different purposes.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=255554

    In the above link you'll find a picture of both a macro converter AND a tele converter, the tele converter is not MC7 but both are TELEPLUS.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    That is I believe all wrong. The 2x NAS Macro TELEPLUS MC7 is indeed a macro converter, not a tele converter. It seems that the company creates some confusion, but anyway, MC stands for Multi Coated and 7 stands for 7 elements. I guess the 2x is just indicating you'll lose 2 steps of light when using it. There is no single product called MC7. You have to use the full product name to describe the product since there is a macro converter MC7 and a tele converter MC7 but they are used for two different purposes.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=255554

    In the above link you'll find a picture of both a macro converter AND a tele converter, the tele converter is not MC7 but both are TELEPLUS.
    Thanks for the information. This is the first time I am coming across this. I have never seen this in the shops. Maybe, I should look out for it.

    The macro teleconverter looks like a Teleconverter with extension built-in... smart design.

    BC

  10. #10

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    I found Triplus!

    http://dvdreamtime.com.au/triplus-ex...5e7c9f8ed7b7e0

    It seems that it is extension tubes rather than micro converter. The price, S$170, suggest that it is more likely to be a set of extension tubes rather than micro converter which is likely to cost more than that.

    BC

  11. #11

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Thanks for the information. This is the first time I am coming across this. I have never seen this in the shops. Maybe, I should look out for it.

    The macro teleconverter looks like a Teleconverter with extension built-in... smart design.

    BC
    You are welcome. Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath while looking for these in shops. I believe they are not made anymore, so it is better to look for them on eBay. Yes, smart design, mine is a short tube with the lens elements moving inside, so the tube has a constant length. I think the Teleplus has a tube with variable length, I don't know if lens elements are also moving or they are fixed in that one.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    I would suggest that you save up a bit and get a dedicated Macro lens.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  13. #13

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    I would suggest that you save up a bit and get a dedicated Macro lens.
    Yes, it is always best to use dedicated macro lenses for macro work. Unfortunately not everybody can "save up" for a high quality lens, those are not cheap. Just because a manufacturer stamps "Macro" on the lens that does not say it is a proper lens, it just say you can focus close enough up to infinity. Some cheap so called macro lenses do not worth the money. In that case it is better to get a tube. A set of extension tubes in combination with a zoom works fine for most people on low budget. Makes focusing very easy since you can use the zoom ring for focusing if you are within the range.

    But yes, if all you want is maximum 1:1 than the best is a good quality dedicated macro lens.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    That is I believe all wrong. The 2x NAS Macro TELEPLUS MC7 is indeed a macro converter, not a tele converter. It seems that the company creates some confusion, but anyway, MC stands for Multi Coated and 7 stands for 7 elements. I guess the 2x is just indicating you'll lose 2 steps of light when using it. There is no single product called MC7. You have to use the full product name to describe the product since there is a macro converter MC7 and a tele converter MC7 but they are used for two different purposes.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=255554

    In the above link you'll find a picture of both a macro converter AND a tele converter, the tele converter is not MC7 but both are TELEPLUS.
    actually kenko do have a teleplus MC7 as well but its a true teleconverter as stated below.

    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-02.html

  15. #15

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    actually kenko do have a teleplus MC7 as well but its a true teleconverter as stated below.

    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-02.html
    I know that, but it is not called MC7 only. I just mean it is not enough to say Teleplus MC7 because it can be a macro OR a tele converter. The "2x NAS Macro TELEPLUS MC7" as the full product name is a macro converter, not a tele converter. MC7 stands for Multi Coated 7 elements, nothing more.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Macro Converter, Triplus Digital C-AF?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    I know that, but it is not called MC7 only. I just mean it is not enough to say Teleplus MC7 because it can be a macro OR a tele converter. The "2x NAS Macro TELEPLUS MC7" as the full product name is a macro converter, not a tele converter. MC7 stands for Multi Coated 7 elements, nothing more.
    Some correction. the Teleplus MC7 Macro converter can be used as a tele-converter too just that you dun extend the bellow out. It's the same construction as the teleplus 2X MC7tele converter except that it has a bellow extension.

    When the Teleplus MC7 Macro converter is used with a dedicated 60mm macro lens, it'll give you more than 1:1 life size. It is simply superb! Very very hard to find such lens or it's near impossible.

    Cheers

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •