Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Singapore seen through a foreigners eyes

  1. #1
    BenJR
    Guests

    Default Singapore seen through a foreigners eyes

    Hi guys

    Thought this was worth sharing. Its a good thing to sometimes see how foreigners see singapore.

    Its a highly personal view point but just have a look.


    http://www.revue.com/galleries/loppa...ur/index.shtml


    Have a look. Here is one picture from it.

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't know if it's me or whatever. The general tone seems to be one of moodiness...

  3. #3
    BenJR
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by Richard
    I don't know if it's me or whatever. The general tone seems to be one of moodiness...
    Hi richard

    I tend to agree. I do not think many would appreciate such photography. It is HIS VIEW of the world.

    I feel that we go thru a process
    1) Interested in photography so start learning
    2) We like some kind of pictures,aspire to do the same so we emulate and come up with deriviative pictures (taken before many many times)

    3) We either continue to shoot the same old stuff, or think hard and let "technique" take a back seat and let "feeling" and "instinct" take over.

    Technically and compositionally, I am sure there is lots to fault at his photos, but I think they transcend the "surface", they imbue a "mood".

    Its always good to look at many photographs, helps open one's perception of what is A GOOD PICTURE.

    cheers!

    Ben

  4. #4

    Default

    if I'm not wrong, it is taken using a holga.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  5. #5

    Default

    You kidding me.. it's a Holga??

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by YSLee
    You kidding me.. it's a Holga??
    check that characteristic lightdrop off at the edges of the square photos.


    BTW, anyone here want to buy a holga ?

    I'm ordering from ebay, ordering other can save on postage. To see what a holga looks like and what it is, just do a search "holga" on ebay or the internet..... (dun be lazy )
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  7. #7

    Default

    From my point of view...i think the shots are pretty good.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon


    check that characteristic lightdrop off at the edges of the square photos.


    BTW, anyone here want to buy a holga ?

    I'm ordering from ebay, ordering other can save on postage. To see what a holga looks like and what it is, just do a search "holga" on ebay or the internet..... (dun be lazy )
    Eh, contrast is surprisingly good leh. You sure it's a holga?

  9. #9
    BenJR
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by YSLee


    Eh, contrast is surprisingly good leh. You sure it's a holga?
    To the guys who have ordered HOLGA's or use LOMO's, I applaude you.

    I will want to get into those someday.

    Think of it. Now that you are free of decisions for exposure and picture sharpness ( the lens is plastic and dept of field cant be controlled), you can concentrate on COMPOSITION.

    Looking forward to posts from you HOLGA and LOMO users

    cheers!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Originally posted by BenJR


    To the guys who have ordered HOLGA's or use LOMO's, I applaude you.

    I will want to get into those someday.

    Think of it. Now that you are free of decisions for exposure and picture sharpness ( the lens is plastic and dept of field cant be controlled), you can concentrate on COMPOSITION.

    Looking forward to posts from you HOLGA and LOMO users

    cheers!
    why can't i switch to auto mode, slap on a cheap fixed lens of the same focal length, and do the same with a high tech SLR to learn composition?

    why do u need a LOMO or HOLGA to do that?
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default and also.....

    Hi

    if one already has a consumer digicam, (many do here) all one needs to do is use it at a fixed focal length, set it on auto, and go around exploring the many possibilities and angles with the camera, and best of all, you can take pictures and learn composition without cost
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by Red Dawn


    why can't i switch to auto mode, slap on a cheap fixed lens of the same focal length, and do the same with a high tech SLR to learn composition?

    why do u need a LOMO or HOLGA to do that?

    "YES MAJOR SIR YES SIR ! PRIVATE SONNY BOY SNIPER FIRST CLASS READY FOR ORDERS SIR YES SIR"

    "Alrigh sonny, this time we're going to get that SOB OrSarma Binnn LArrrrDin, We're going to use a YOU to take him out"

    "WHAT WOULD BE THE WEAPON OF CHOICE SIR ?"

    "There ........ hrrmmmppp!!" the Major drops a tomahawk missle on the Sniper's feet.

    "SIR ??? BUT this is a bomb, not a bullet"

    "Neh..... listen here sonny boy, all you have to do is to take all the explosives out of this Tomahawk cruise missle and it will become 1 bloody big bullet !!! HELL YEAH !! You'll use this BULLET to RAM THAT SOB in the the desert of KABUL !! "

    Moral of the story, when using different camera, your feelings will be different, people's reacting to you will be different etc etc etc. The resulting images will be different.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  13. #13
    BenJR
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon

    Moral of the story, when using different camera, your feelings will be different, people's reacting to you will be different etc etc etc. The resulting images will be different.
    Hi ruey

    I couldnt agree with you more. Using a plastic camera like the LOMO or HOLGA, the feeling is more free and haphazard. You feel like the burden of choosing shutter speed aperture exposure etc has been lifted from you. JUST POINT AND SHOOT! ( thats how they market it :P)

    anyway the resulting images, if the photographer was discerning enough to pick up interesting subjects, lighting,etc..can be very interesting and cool.

    Pictures take on a dreamy look, surreal? punchy colours? distortions? fuzzy soft focus? yes yes its part of the deal.

    Maybe say, the pictures look FUNKY and MTV like!


    P.S - My sister uses a LOMO

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •