Thread: F'light'

Default F'light'

F'light'

Default Re: F'light'

If you wish to make it abstract, then I would suggest removing that funny thing to the right of the picture, because I have no idea what a lamppost (what it seems to be) has to do with flight altogether. Just leave in the plane and the bird - it's a nice juxtaposition, both seem to be flying in different directions and I really like the concept and thought when you took that photo.

Perhaps you were limited by the circumstances, but a crop would solve all this.. =)

The lamp post is essential. else, the photo will juz be titled flight.. do note the ''s

Maybe shld rename to F - Light to be more obvious?

The light on the right is just too large and distracting. Otherwise, I quite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by m00nman26 View Post
    The lamp post is essential. else, the photo will juz be titled flight.. do note the ''s
    Like I posted a while back, but it seems to have been removed - for whatever reason I have no idea, no explanation is given but anyways, I think it is a valid comment, so whichever SU or Mod removed it, at least explain why you think it is invalid before removing it. Else you are just wasting my time because it isn't really a personal view.

Best to put composition first before title - if the light is distracting, it is distracting; best to remove it instead of trying to fit a picture into a title.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Like I posted a while back, but it seems to have been removed - for whatever reason I have no idea, no explanation is given but anyways, I think it is a valid comment, so whichever SU or Mod removed it, at least explain why you think it is invalid before removing it. Else you are just wasting my time because it isn't really a personal view.

Best to put composition first before title - if the light is distracting, it is distracting; best to remove it instead of trying to fit a picture into a title.
    zaren has removed your previous post as below.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Then you are trying to shove the photograph into your idea of a title, which from a personal perspective is a rather inane thing to do.

You should be trying to get a good photograph, before naming it, rather than dream up titles and find photographs to shove the title onto?

No offense meant, of course.
    i agree with zaren's deletion of the posting. TS had deliberately taken the picture as we see it, it is based on TS's idea of what he wants to show, which he calls it F'light' in words. as such, the title and the photograph are to be read as originating from the same idea.

comments directing to TS's idea of putting the lamp with the bird and plane in flight is more meaningful than trying to debate whether the title should come first or not.
    Last edited by eikin; 4th June 2007 at 01:13 PM.

IMHO TS should have done a proper write up for this photo, then it would be clearer what he was trying to convey or achieve with the photo.

nightmare's second post was IMHO speculative and unconstructive, hence it was deleted. There is no need to use words like "inane" when the original vision or intention of TS is not fully known.

As it stands, this thread will be moved to "Abstracts".
    Last edited by zaren; 4th June 2007 at 04:33 PM.

Well to answer night86mare's qn,
    it was actually to start off something i wanna call photo puns, playing with photos and words.
    Other thoughts that comes to mind are such as:
    combining the words catch-scratch - scatch? got a few more ideas but only waiting for a gd opportunity.

I do not take any comments personally, but as a means to improve. after all, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, but if too many ppl find it ugly, then i better check my own perspective in the first place

Is the lampost really distracting??
    I kinda like the way it is big and unbalanced...
    I have my wierd way of looking i guezz

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    zaren has removed your previous post as below.

i agree with zaren's deletion of the posting. TS had deliberately taken the picture as we see it, it is based on TS's idea of what he wants to show, which he calls it F'light' in words. as such, the title and the photograph are to be read as originating from the same idea.

comments directing to TS's idea of putting the lamp with the bird and plane in flight is more meaningful than trying to debate whether the title should come first or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    IMHO TS should have done a proper write up for this photo, then it would be clearer what he was trying to convey or achieve with the photo.

nightmare's second post was IMHO speculative and unconstructive, hence it was deleted. There is no need to use words like "inane" when the original vision or intention of TS is not fully known.

As it stands, this thread will be moved to "Abstracts".
    Thanks for the prompt explanation.

Will definitely try to seem more neutral next time. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by m00nman26 View Post
    Well to answer night86mare's qn,
    it was actually to start off something i wanna call photo puns, playing with photos and words.
    Other thoughts that comes to mind are such as:
    combining the words catch-scratch - scatch? got a few more ideas but only waiting for a gd opportunity.

I do not take any comments personally, but as a means to improve. after all, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, but if too many ppl find it ugly, then i better check my own perspective in the first place
    I get what you mean.. Flight and light - ok this is going to be a personal view, to state explicitly, perhaps something like the headlights of a jet as it is taking off would have a more logical linkage?

I'm really trying to think of a way to link a lamppost to flight, and the only thing I can come up with is a bird taking off from there, and usually birds sitting on lampposts are ugly.

It is not that the lamppost is ugly or anything, but more like, the left side of the picture is simple and has its own story/vision to share.. And this is much more brilliant by itself without inclusion of the lamppost rather than its inclusion. Hope you get what I mean.