Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to take picture in low light without flash..

Default Re: Ways to take picture in low light without flash..

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Why cannot?
    Because the strong, abrupt light may cause fits in certain babies and may harm their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Because the strong, abrupt light may cause fits in certain babies and may harm their eyes.
    I agree with direct flash, but you can always use bounce flash. For me I'll usually point my flash straight up and use the ceiling to bounce my light when indoor. At night outdoor, I won't bother with taking any photos with babies.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    I agree with direct flash, but you can always use bounce flash. For me I'll usually point my flash straight up and use the ceiling to bounce my light when indoor. At night outdoor, I won't bother with taking any photos with babies.
    Still the light is abrupt and don't ever think that bounced flash you get a lower power, it is still the same because for the same aperture, it needs to illuminate by the same amount to get the same exposure.

firstly, sony has this grainy problem in low light situations...
    so like me... i feel that you have made the wrong choice in the cameara..
    during the night, use iso 800(maximum)
    and you should buy the 50mm F1.4 lense.. its gooood but compared to canon lenses, like the EF 50mm 1.8 which is cheaper...
    so sony is like the worst of them all..
    thats why i am changing from this cameara to a canon 30d

Quote Originally Posted by stjustin View Post
    firstly, sony has this grainy problem in low light situations...
    so like me... i feel that you have made the wrong choice in the cameara..
    during the night, use iso 800(maximum)
    and you should buy the 50mm F1.4 lense.. its gooood but compared to canon lenses, like the EF 50mm 1.8 which is cheaper...
    so sony is like the worst of them all..
    thats why i am changing from this cameara to a canon 30d
    hahah thats very "encouraging" for a new sony user like me. haha

siron > dont worry.. every camera has its pros and cons...make the best use of your A100 and will be convinced you din make the wrong choice...

when it comes to flashes or lens.. get the best that you can afford.. so that you can save the trouble of upgrading later..If you can afford it, go straight for the Sony HVL F56AM. If you want to take picture in low light without flash, you can get the Sony 50mm f1.4 for a start to complement your kit lens. The kit lens is still my most used lens now. Primes with large aperture are cheaper than zooms with large aperture, and at f1.4, the 50mm f1.4 is two stops faster than other f2.8 lenses. Depending on your style of shooting or what you shoot more, you might want to get a zoom lens with fast aperture next. (either a telephoto zoom or a standard zoom lens to replace your kit lens), or even premium Good lenses...

but if you are like me.. very shallow pockets.. there are still other options.. Since you are using sony alpha.. pay attention to the Busy/Sell here in Clubsnap and look out for 2nd hand Minolta 50mm f1.7 or the Konica Minolta 3600hsd. . both of which should be going for around$200 +/-

Just my opinion.. hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post

Well you can rest assure that flash will not harm the infant's eyes.

Q: Can a camera flash harm an infant's vision?

A:
    The flash of a camera, even if used to take many, many pictures of your newest family member, should not harm an infant's vision. Although the flash seems very bright, it actually isn't much different from normal daylight. It only seems brighter because it tends to be used at night or indoors when there isn't much other light around. In addition, a flash lasts for only a tiny fraction of a second.

In order for the eyes possibly to be damaged, they would have to be exposed to bright light for a long period of time. I can think of two common times this might happen:

Being out in the sun. Too much sun definitely can be harmful to both the skin and the eyes. It has been shown that looking directly at the sun for more than 90 seconds can cause damage to the back of the eye (retina). Remember being told never to look directly at a solar eclipse? Damage to the eyes also may happen just from being out in the sun (even on cloudy days) for long periods of time. As you may know, there are different bands (wavelengths) of light, some of which are more harmful than others. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun has been shown to cause cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Therefore, we recommend that infants be kept out of direct sunlight (in the shade) whenever possible and especially during the brightest hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Even on cloudy days you should keep your infant in the shade, since much of the light passes right through the clouds.

Being treated for jaundice. Newborn babies who have yellow skin (jaundice) sometimes need to be treated with special bright blue lights (phototherapy). Their eyes usually are covered during phototherapy because there is a very small chance that the bands of light used for this treatment, which may last for hours and sometimes even a few days, could cause damage to their eyes.

While a camera flash is bright, it isn't bright enough and doesn't last nearly long enough to cause damage to your infant's eyes. Infancy passes quickly and you should feel free to capture as much as possible on film!

but it does cause some discomfort, even if it doesn't cause damage..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    but it does cause some discomfort, even if it doesn't cause damage..
    Well...I guess to capture a good shot. discomfort can accept at times la. Smile...still I am a bad user when it comes to flash!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12