Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: D40 with 50mm

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Unhappy D40 with 50mm

    When I attached my D40 to the 50mm lens, it can only MF. I can't find any button to switch to AF.

    My kit lens is able to AF when I attach it back. I didn't change any setting when I swop the 2 lenses...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    387

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    D40 can only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyk View Post
    D40 can only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses.
    Oh I see! I got a scare! I thought the connection to my camera is spoilt! ..... or my 50mm is dead...

    50mm, with its aperture ring, is G lens I assume. (I dunno where my box and user manual is!)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    galaxy far far away
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Oh I see! I got a scare! I thought the connection to my camera is spoilt! ..... or my 50mm is dead...

    50mm, with its aperture ring, is G lens I assume. (I dunno where my box and user manual is!)

    if im not mistaken, g lenses does not have an aperture ring.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    if im not mistaken, g lenses does not have an aperture ring.
    Ok ok... So it's an non AF-S / I lens with aperture ring

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    387

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Oh I see! I got a scare! I thought the connection to my camera is spoilt! ..... or my 50mm is dead...

    50mm, with its aperture ring, is G lens I assume. (I dunno where my box and user manual is!)
    I believe the focus confirmation dot is still operative. Turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus until the "dot" lights up in the viewfinder. It ain't too difficult.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Yet another D40 user who is not aware that only lenses with SWM or HSM can autofocus on the D40 series body.

    G lenses don't have aperture rings.
    D lenses do.

    Nikkor AF lenses are screw-driven.
    Nikkor AF-S lenses are SWM driven.

    D40 does not have the screw...
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 3rd June 2007 at 07:00 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyk View Post
    I believe the focus confirmation dot is still operative. Turn the focusing ring on the lens to focus until the "dot" lights up in the viewfinder. It ain't too difficult.
    VF a bit small!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Yet another D40 user who is not aware that only lenses with SWM or HSM can autofocus on the D40 series body.

    G lenses don't have aperture rings.
    D lenses do.

    Nikkor AF lenses are screw-driven.
    Nikkor AF-S lenses are SWM driven.

    D40 does not have the screw...
    OK, 50mm is a D lens then. I dun have the box with me so I kinda blur...

    I dun understand what do u mean by screw-driven. But I think it's OK.

    My bro recommended the camera to me as he thinks it is easy enough for beginner and not heavy for me, especially when we travel overseas. Well, it's OK. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    the dot works fine~ try to mf with the 50mm for some fun~

    and when you are expert with it already.. you would be able to focus voigs.. zeiss and other ais lenses on your camera nxt time..
    chezburgr i can haz?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    the dot works fine~ try to mf with the 50mm for some fun~

    and when you are expert with it already.. you would be able to focus voigs.. zeiss and other ais lenses on your camera nxt time..
    OK OK! ... that's provided I can stick to photography long enough to become expert before I gave up!

  12. #12

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    All Nikon AF body (except D40 & D40X) have AF motor that drives AF lenses (by a screwdriver like thingy). AF-S lenses have built-in AF motor and does not rely on the body's AF motor.

    D40 & D40X can only perform AF with AF-S lenses since they lack AF motor in the body.

    D & G lenses has nothing to do with AF. Both will work with you D40. G lenses lacks the aperture ring.

    BC

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kembangan
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: D40 with 50mm

    Thanks for all the explanations. I will close the thread.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •