Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10D for f***

learning photography can happen at home too

just use your kitchen table place some apples or oranges and use a table lamp to illuminate them from different angle and take pictures of it... can learn how to compose and present food. next time can help ppl take pictures for food stalls too

just one my 1cent worth suggestion

newuser
    Guests

I'm sure one of the reasons your dad does not want you to bring the 10D outside to shoot, is it is expensive and he is worried you might lose it or damaged it.

I guess you can only slowly win his trust in you by treating your stuff well and given time, you might gain his trust and is allowed to bring the 10D out for some functions.

You feel frustrated now, but if your dad happens to let you take the 10D out for some fun, you'll eat your words by then, and possibly might feel guilty for saying all these, unless of course, your ego is so huge that you reject his offer.

yo sehsuan....take a deep breath, have a drink, and relax first....

many a times i have been damn irritated by my dad too, the way he pokes his nose into everything, how insensitive he was when my beloved dog passed away, among many others....

but each time, I try to put myself in his shoes. Almost everything he has done is for my own good. And being someone from the past generation, who has slogged all his life to give his children a good life, while sacrificing his own social and recreation time, he finds it hard sometimes to connect with his children, hard to find the link with the modern world too. But it isn't his fault...if it is anyone's, it's mine....I'm the cause for his sacrifice.

Anyway, that's my sentiment. No matter what, he is still your dad. As much as he puts up with your nonsense since you cried non stop when you came into this world, you should try to think for him too, and try to put up with his nonsense. This is what a family is all about. When you get a wife next time maybe you'll understand. At least you get to choose your wife, your father is predestined to be your father, so you'll have to live with it.

I think u said all these in the moment of heat......once you cool, I'm sure you'll appreciate your father just as we all do. =)

By the way, photography is a personal interest, don't let it be the cause of discord between father and son ok? Take it easy pal.....it took me few yrs to afford my first DSLR too, with my own money. Before that I still had loads of fun with normal digicams.

Deregistered

forget it. once i have enough money of my own, i'll get my own 10D or probably if i'm crazy enough, 1Ds (not by a long shot, of course). i don't need to suck up to him to show that i can take care of any equipment under my charge/use.

in fact, each time i hold the oly 4040 in my hands, the damnest thing to cross my mind is that i didn't pay for it myself - it was "coincidentally" a belated birthday gift, to which i shan't find out more if it was intended as so, or a make-peace pact to me late last year over some trivial matter that caused him to decide not to talk to me for months on end.

life sucks at times. BIG TIME.

Originally posted by sehsuan
    in fact, each time i hold the oly 4040 in my hands, the damnest thing to cross my mind is that i didn't pay for it myself - it was "coincidentally" a belated birthday gift, to which i shan't find out more if it was intended as so, or a make-peace pact to me late last year over some trivial matter he decided not to talk to me for months on end.

life sucks at times. BIG TIME.
    at least u had a 4040z from him as a bday present.... I had to fork up money for my own digicam, cos my dad can't afford ostentatious stuffs for me.

life doesn't suck.....think of those who can only dream of own cameras. You're a lucky chap already.

Deregistered

Originally posted by Giantnookie
    You feel frustrated now, but if your dad happens to let you take the 10D out for some fun, you'll eat your words by then, and possibly might feel guilty for saying all these, unless of course, your ego is so huge that you reject his offer.
    i'll choose NOT to eat my words then, since he also said that he hasn't had time to use the camera himself. suits him - go and use it all he likes, put it at his office - so be it. i won't frigging touch that damned camera again. let it die of fungus, and lack of use, as per the predecessors.

mark my words.

Deregistered

Originally posted by Tweek
    at least u had a 4040z from him as a bday present.... I had to fork up money for my own digicam, cos my dad can't afford ostentatious stuffs for me.

life doesn't suck.....think of those who can only dream of own cameras. You're a lucky chap already.
    birthday present, or something to make peace with me - i'll never be able to find out. things happen too coincidentally - he asked my mom to forward to me, that he will give it away to another relative if i don't take it. being stuck with a logitech 640x480 camera over one year, i took up the offer. but the guilt of having something for the intention was unknown, and also that i didn't pay for it myself is horrid. each time when people asked me how much it cost, i had to swallow pride and say it was sort of a gift from my old man.

of course, you're right about me being better off than those who can only dream of it. poor but happy, or rich but unhappy, that's how i see it. when i only had the logitech, i was having self-delusions of happily covering events in a photo-essay, to bring forth others of how organized events unfolded themselves. i'd rather go back to my logitech camera, and forget everything. too bad i sold it for 15 bucks to my classmate because of what i learnt from my old man - to help others at my own expense.
    Last edited by sehsuan; 29th March 2003 at 11:04 PM.

birthday present, or something to make peace with me - i'll never be able to find out. things happen too coincidentally - he asked my mom to forward to me, that he will give it away to another relative if i don't take it. being stuck with a logitech 640x480 camera over one year, i took up the offer. but the guilt of having something for the intention was unknown, and also that i didn't pay for it myself is horrid. each time when people asked me how much it cost, i had to swallow pride and say it was sort of a gift from my old man.
    ok, well, I guess I don't understand enough to comment further. Anyway, smile alright? Don't let it get you down.....=) Hope you have a good Sunday tmrw.

Deregistered

Originally posted by Tweek
    ok, well, I guess I don't understand enough to comment further. Anyway, smile alright? Don't let it get you down.....=) Hope you have a good Sunday tmrw.
    i'm thinking of spending sunday night on the beach somewhere. got to get away from people for a while.

shame on you .... your father would be so sad to see this.

relax brother.

these kind of situations are common.. although it's more applicable to items like the family car rather than a camera.

handle like an adult. talk and reason with dad. it's better than washing dirty laundry in public. it will not help the situation and will only aggravate the relationship.

Deregistered

Originally posted by wen
    shame on you .... your father would be so sad to see this.
    thank you.

not that i'm proud of this, but i have the right to express whatever i feel. moderators, should i be de-registered from CS for posting such a topic? please feel free to do so, if i do not constitute to be a person who is fit to work for the Ministry of Education for posting this kind of message on CS.

Just wondering, how old are you sehsuan?

Blog Entries

not that i'm proud of this, but i have the right to express whatever i feel. moderators, should i be de-registered from CS for posting such a topic? please feel free to do so, if i do not constitute to be a person who is fit to work for the Ministry of Education for posting this kind of message on CS.
    as you have said yourself, you have the right to post this. there is no need to de-register you or for the mods to do anything, as this posting is done of your own free will (it may not right or respectful, but this is a free world).

Deregistered

thank you Darren, for the prompt reply.

Originally posted by Klipsch
    Just wondering, how old are you sehsuan?
    24, and not very mature.

oh, btw, i'm contemplating to quit photography altogether, and only resume when i can afford enough money to get myself a camera using my own money.

Oops sorry missed the last bit. Working adult? Behave like one then...

hey sehsuan... relax...

dun fight with your father over small things lah.. he is dad after all..
    but one thing i learn all these years.. it is still good to buy things with your own money.

Originally posted by Darren
    sehsuan,
    although you feel frustrated about your dad and his apparent "selfishness" in not allowing you to take the 10D (and other equipment) out, i would advise you not to prolong this thread any longer.

after all, he is your dad, and due respect should be given.

i will leave it up to you whether you want to delete this thread but i would strongly advise you to remove it once your frustration has simmered down.

as a father, i would surely be very very saddened that something like this has been broadcasted over a public forum by my own children.
    maybe it is the SARS thingy ; so must stay at home.

Sehz,

one thing I learn about handling parents is this:

no matter what you do or say or prove, they will always see you as this little child who has no bearing as to where/what he is heading to...

by falling out with your dad this way, will only prove his point that you are just that little child. Why not give yourself and him a chance to show that you are an adult already and be able to handle your emotions and actions responsibly like an adult?

Athough I'm not any older than you but this is a life lesson which I have learnt and this is the advice I would like to share with you now.

It's pointless for you to be obstinent coz your dad will be more obstinent than you. Cool down, rest a little and not be so hasty to prove your worth to him by showing him a black face and arguing over his faults and stuff.

If you really wanna prove something, study hard and graduate with a degree to earn your very own camera equipment.

Just my 2cts advice
    Last edited by SniperD; 29th March 2003 at 11:36 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast