Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Disk Failure

I am using a 180GXP 60GB, and it works fine for me yet....
    The newer series are quite good. But the lousy ones are the 75GXP series. Almost all of them fail on people.
    *choi choi*

Originally posted by darkness
    Actually IBM harddisks are pretty good. The only range of HDD that they had a lot of problems with was the 75GXP range (abt 27% of the HDD failed after some time). The subsequent series (60GXP, 120GXP and 180GXP) did not have much of these problems.
    erm I had a 8 gig deathstar, 6 gig and a 20 gig travelling deathstar die on me prematurely... think they reduced the MTBF QC... otherwise they would never replace it so readily..

hope Histachi dun go Shitachi
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

OK, my main PC is now up. Bought a 80gb seagate. Now typing on it. Quieter and quite fast.

The old IBM is a DTLA-307030... let it burn!

snowman
    Guests

I want to get the Maxtor 80GB with 8M Cache.... to go along with a USB 2.0 TV tuner... so can 'tape' shows with it...... with lesser write problems

*back to topic*... got a IBM 40GXP... which died on me once(last year) but no problem since....

maybe it is HOW you use/utilise/abuse your hdd....and just that the IBM hdds cannot stand abuse....

so now which HD is the best ?
    WD?
    max?
    SEagate?
    since the lastime ibm is not bad but now
    is sucky

OK, my main PC is now up. Bought a 80gb seagate. Now typing on it. Quieter and quite fast.
    I think I better buy one to back up my current hard disk. the current one is behaving strangely. I cannot do disk cleanup or defrag anymore. The program just hangs.

Hey, btw, how much do you pay for the 80GB Seagate/

Is it easy to install a second hard disk?
    Canon 40D 17-55mm/f2.8 IS, 50mm/f1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

Originally posted by denizenx
    erm I had a 8 gig deathstar, 6 gig and a 20 gig travelling deathstar die on me prematurely... think they reduced the MTBF QC... otherwise they would never replace it so readily..

hahah....deathstar??!? is it meant to be a joke

I only know IBM got deskstar and no deathstar

Originally posted by pker88
    so now which HD is the best ?
    WD?
    max?
    SEagate?
    since the lastime ibm is not bad but now
    is sucky
    WD with the 8MB cache is good and reliable. Don't like the IBM series, too prone to crash.

Originally posted by denizenx

Oh yah... There was this issue about IBM reducing their MTBF hours... Apparently, they had said that this has no impact on the reliability of their HDDs..

Anyway, I'm kinda considered as a IBM fanboy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12