Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Disk Failure

Default Hard Disk Failure

My IBM harddisk just crashed!!!

Stupid IBM brand... never gonna buy this brand again!

Angry Re: Hard Disk Failure

thats why others call it "deathstar"

sorry abt it man...

In my office, the Maxtor, Western digital and Quantum have performed much more reliably than the IBM drives. The deskstar series was quite unreliable a few years back. Seems they haven't changed. We stopped buying IBM drives long back.

The only brand which were even worse was Micropolis... I think they had their HQ in Singapore. Every one of the SCSI drives we had on 4 Sparc stations died in 6 months - 1 year. No wonder the company closed down.

Default Re: Hard Disk Failure

Originally posted by Zplus

Don't think you'll get to buy this brand of hdd again anyway.

From IBM's hdd website

Looking for IBM Hard disk drives?

IBM Storage Technology has merged with Hitachi Storage to become Hitachi Global Storage Technologies. To visit us and find out more http://www.hgst.com.

IBM got this set of "Drive Fitness Tools" that I think can be downloaded from their website. Sometimes, if the crash is not too serious, can be recovered using the tools in DFT. But no guarantee...

Maxtor and Seagate is more reliable now compared to IBM. Micropolis SCSI proven to be a worst hard drive I ever own in my company server years ago. And also proven to be the worst investment by ST Group of company which own the company in the late 90's and later closed shop.

Originally posted by sriram
    In my office, the Maxtor, Western digital and Quantum have performed much more reliably than the IBM drives. The deskstar series was quite unreliable a few years back. Seems they haven't changed. We stopped buying IBM drives long back.

The only brand which were even worse was Micropolis... I think they had their HQ in Singapore. Every one of the SCSI drives we had on 4 Sparc stations died in 6 months - 1 year. No wonder the company closed down.
    Last edited by pcman; 29th March 2003 at 04:27 PM.

Default Re: Re: Hard Disk Failure

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    Don't think you'll get to buy this brand of hdd again anyway.

From IBM's hdd website
    One of the reasons most people think IBM divested itself of the storeage division was the battering its reputation had taken over the deathstar, umm deskstar range. They consistantly turned out duds.

Their travelstar 2.5" laptop drives and their server series of SCSI drives were no where near as bad, but no one was game, the bad karma might infect their other products.

And IBM are the people who developed and sold the CF formfactor 'microdrives'. They work amazingly well considering the size and the environment they get used in.

Looks to me that consumer 'IDE' are all heading the same way, drive reliablity has peaked and now most 'consumer' models are crap. IBM were just the first to push the consumer line to far down the price ladder.
    (Try finding a 3 year warantee desktop IDE drive now, most have shrunk to 12 months. Server class SCSI are still 3 or 5 years)

Yup, really bad experience with deathstars. Now using my other PC. I think the earlier IBMs were quite good (still have one 6gb surviving). Really crap despite their so called performance... sigh. And also the amount of heat they produce...

The rest of my PCs are all seagates which seems quite reliable despite its slower speeds.

Default Re: Re: Re: Hard Disk Failure

Originally posted by matthew

(Try finding a 3 year warantee desktop IDE drive now, most have shrunk to 12 months. Server class SCSI are still 3 or 5 years)
    Western Digital

Yup, really bad experience with deathstars. Now using my other PC. I think the earlier IBMs were quite good (still have one 6gb surviving). Really crap despite their so called performance... sigh. And also the amount of heat they produce...

The rest of my PCs are all seagates which seems quite reliable despite its slower speeds.

Yup, IBM used to be be one of the more reliable HDDs during ~1998 period, followed by Quantum, Seagate and the rest.

Now it seems that the most reliable brand out there now is WD.

newuser
    Guests

You will never have to anyway.

It's Hitachi now.

Default re: crashed drive

could it be you did not cool your harddisk enuff? i have a "deathstar 80gb" still running fine after around 1yr+. i switch it on w/o fail overnight downloading stuff every nite...but have a BIG fan blowing at it direct. i think these days harddisks are veri hot and it is essential to cool them....just my 2 c.
    Believe it. And it will be so.

Deregistered

zplus - if it's a soft-failure (ie, not that gone-case yet) i still can help you recover some (or a lot of) stuff from it. but have to take a look at it first.

lemme know - pm me.

The best SCSI drive now is Seagate's Cheetah Series 10k RPM, this harddisk is used in DELL/Compaq/HP/IBM/Sun Microsystem Server. This HDD is made in Singapore!
    W204FL

newuser
    Guests

Default Re: re: crashed drive

Originally posted by Horus
    could it be you did not cool your harddisk enuff? i have a "deathstar 80gb" still running fine after around 1yr+. i switch it on w/o fail overnight downloading stuff every nite...but have a BIG fan blowing at it direct. i think these days harddisks are veri hot and it is essential to cool them....just my 2 c.
    I disagree, Harddisk drive are capable of withstanding high operating tempertaure, like 70 or 80 degress. and I don't believe spending money on harddisk coolers will improve performance or life expectancy.

However if your casing allows for your harddisk to be mounted behind the front casing fan, then I would recommend so.

There have been no solid proof that harddisk coolers improve the life expectancy as I have seen HDDs working in aircon rooms at 20 degrees fail and I have seen HDDs working in a casing with only 1 casing fan in a non-aircon room and have survived 5-6 years.

Default Re: Re: re: crashed drive

Originally posted by newuser

However if your casing allows for your harddisk to be mounted behind the front casing fan, then I would recommend so.
    Yup, even after doing so, it failed! Lousy piece of crap.

Anyway don't rely on the IBM's Drive Fitness Test too much. Listen to your ears.

I had a old 20GB harddisk which was giving cranky sounds. I ran the test and it was ok.

Not too long later, the whole harddisk crashed..ARGHH!! Now I diligently back up all my important data..even if it meant 10 full CD-RWs.

I had heard some rumors years back the Seagate and Maxtor harddisk always have bad sector problems. Is this rumor still valid today?

maybe it was just another lemon?

Im currently using the infamous 75GXP series.....
    With highest record on its deathtoll if im not mistaken....

currently abt 3 years n going on...hopefully doesnt die on me.....

my harddisk has been giving me these weird clunky sounds nowadays. been happening for 2 weeks now...i guess it's gonna crash...soon...but dunno how soon though.

Actually IBM harddisks are pretty good. The only range of HDD that they had a lot of problems with was the 75GXP range (abt 27% of the HDD failed after some time). The subsequent series (60GXP, 120GXP and 180GXP) did not have much of these problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast