View Poll Results: Do you use film?

Voters
302. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all the time

    46 15.23%
  • Yes, mainly together with digital

    72 23.84%
  • Yes, but to a lesser extent with digital as main

    104 34.44%
  • No, 100% digital

    80 26.49%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 101

Thread: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

  1. #81

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    The thing I love about film is how you have to go through the technical processes and think. I hate digital. I feel that it takes everything that photography stands for from the photographer and places it into the camera. Full manual film cameras are the best, like my FM2. =D

  2. #82
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwoon View Post
    The thing I love about film is how you have to go through the technical processes and think. I hate digital. I feel that it takes everything that photography stands for from the photographer and places it into the camera. Full manual film cameras are the best, like my FM2. =D
    Now, with dslr.... you can use IS... and you can shoot even if your foundation is lousy... poor hold.....

    You know teh result of your shoot in an instance.... and no more suspense and thrills of waiting for it to develop...

    White balance???? What white balance in film??? What is crop view??? a 24mm is a 24mm...

    Cost of films went up as a result of the digital influence and lesser demand for film.... even though film is still so much better.....

    Film is much more expensive than digital as a learning platform, and this is one advantage of digital... and many semi pro come out because they dare to do wedding, etc because of digital that they can review their shots.... if it is films.... I do not think there's so many who dare to attempt this.....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  3. #83

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    yeah, i cant argue with the convenience. My friend who uses a nikon DSLR once told me his camera was a full frame. I told him my fm2 was a full frame too. You should've seen his face.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwoon View Post
    yeah, i cant argue with the convenience. My friend who uses a nikon DSLR once told me his camera was a full frame. I told him my fm2 was a full frame too. You should've seen his face.
    He was surprised???? hahaha......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  5. #85

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    HAHA. very.

  6. #86
    Member kaxdd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    607

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    I'm actually beginning to shoot more films than digital. I started off using my family PnS Pentax film cameras in the 90s and I really enjoyed it on all my trips. Come the digital age, we all rush into it like bees to honey. Not surprising, I went into digital photography as well. However, a few years into digital photography, I find myself aimlessly shooting with no regards for composition and timing. I can't say I'm a photographer, but I am just not satisfied with my shots. Now that I am shooting more film, I am beginning to appreciate that each shot on a film is precious, not only because film is expensive, but because each shot is going to be permanent on the film strip. I start to gather my focus and composition more using film and also appreciate that I don't have to worry about white balance. Moreover, since I am a noob in PhotoShop, using film suits me better since I don't have to PP my pictures all the time. What is captured on the film remains true to its colour, texture and exposure. Just like things in its original condition...

  7. #87

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Hi everyone, i had been reading this thread and i was thinking, for noobs like me, who was never able to afford FM2 or rangefinders for the matter, there's lots to catch up on.

    I recently 'inherited' my dad's old yashica GTN, now looking around for a FM2 and trying to catch-up on lost time to start shooting and i wonder if there's anyone who can/would maybe give some pointers to newbies like myself. There's loads of information spread thinly across the web, but sometimes, it's still lost on me.

    The thing about this digital craze is even our beloved NLB no longer have much books about film photography!! Haiz.......now i shoot and wonder how to improve our my skills.

  8. #88
    Member zk-diq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    1,387

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyPlasticEyes View Post
    Hi everyone, i had been reading this thread and i was thinking, for noobs like me, who was never able to afford FM2 or rangefinders for the matter, there's lots to catch up on.

    I recently 'inherited' my dad's old yashica GTN, now looking around for a FM2 and trying to catch-up on lost time to start shooting and i wonder if there's anyone who can/would maybe give some pointers to newbies like myself. There's loads of information spread thinly across the web, but sometimes, it's still lost on me.

    The thing about this digital craze is even our beloved NLB no longer have much books about film photography!! Haiz.......now i shoot and wonder how to improve our my skills.
    you can join the range finder group, shoot film with some madness.

  9. #89

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Today i sold off my 5DmkII, EF 85 1.8, Sigma 50 1.4... in their place a couple of old rangefinders & film cameras. I do have a gf1 as a digital back up though...
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

  10. #90
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by newghost View Post
    Today i sold off my 5DmkII, EF 85 1.8, Sigma 50 1.4... in their place a couple of old rangefinders & film cameras. I do have a gf1 as a digital back up though...
    Wow! Sell your 5D MkII..

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Queenstown
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Film have been in existence for many years & many shutterbugs swear by it but it has become a 'has been' The photo printing business is a sunset industry. Now the problem is not whether you are still using film or not but whether you can find a good lab to process it. One way to counter this is to use black & white film. I have been shooting B & W since I joined SAFRA photoclub in 1998. Processing & developed the film is straightforward but the printing is another thing. I can spend up to 10 hours in the darkroom with a few breaks for toilet & quick meals. The most interesting time is when I tried Hispeed infrared B & W film. Got to load the film in total darkness, use the darkest red filter I can find, use only F8 & shutter 1/30 in bright daylight. I was in Thailand at that time & I shot 12 rolls of normal B&W & 2 rolls of infrared. I remembered lying on my back & shooting a temple at 2pm using F8 & 1/30.
    I tried to source for IR films now but couldn't find any. Tried to replicate digitally but can't get the desired results. So sad.

  12. #92

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Does anyone have a list of film prices for 120 format in Singapore? Will be buying a variety of speeds for an upcoming trip, and I wanted to check prices first.

  13. #93
    Member zk-diq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    1,387

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonistein View Post
    Film have been in existence for many years & many shutterbugs swear by it but it has become a 'has been' The photo printing business is a sunset industry. Now the problem is not whether you are still using film or not but whether you can find a good lab to process it. One way to counter this is to use black & white film. I have been shooting B & W since I joined SAFRA photoclub in 1998. Processing & developed the film is straightforward but the printing is another thing. I can spend up to 10 hours in the darkroom with a few breaks for toilet & quick meals. The most interesting time is when I tried Hispeed infrared B & W film. Got to load the film in total darkness, use the darkest red filter I can find, use only F8 & shutter 1/30 in bright daylight. I was in Thailand at that time & I shot 12 rolls of normal B&W & 2 rolls of infrared. I remembered lying on my back & shooting a temple at 2pm using F8 & 1/30.
    I tried to source for IR films now but couldn't find any. Tried to replicate digitally but can't get the desired results. So sad.
    IR film still can get from B&H or other store/shop


    Kodak HIE
    Last edited by zk-diq; 3rd December 2010 at 12:00 PM.

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by zk-diq View Post
    IR film still can get from B&H or other store/shop


    Kodak HIE
    Excellent. Saw your work at traditional darkroom and I am sure you processed this yourself. Will like to catch up with you someday.
    Home is where the heart is.

  15. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Viva FujiChrome!

    Nothing is punchier than a transparency. Film shooting teaches you to see the picture in the mind rather than blasting away and hoping for 1 good shot. The picture is completed in the camera with little outside intervention so you have to get everything "right" and therefore instils discipline.

    Love the colours, digital does not come close to Velvia. I shoot almost exclusively Fujichrome in 120, 35mm, 16mm, and minox format.

    However it is true to say that once photographed on transparency, the scans convey much of the same chracteristics.

  16. #96

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    I never did consider photography a hobby until I found my dad's Nikon F50 when moving house two months ago. Before I knew it, I ended up with a Nikon F90X, two new lenses and a few rolls of Fuji 160S, 400H, Neopan 400, Kodak Ektar 100 and Portra 160VC. I've toyed with my friend's DSLR, but somehow shooting film feels more fun and exciting, perhaps because you never know how your shots are going to turn out.

  17. #97
    Member zk-diq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    1,387

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Excellent. Saw your work at traditional darkroom and I am sure you processed this yourself. Will like to catch up with you someday.
    Yes, same as any other BW film, enlarge on Ilford multi grade.
    wilco.

  18. #98

    Default Re: So long away from this forum, so who still shoots Film?

    I just repaired an old Yashica SLR film camera with an f/2.0 lens. i think its 28mm. Its with the camera repair man now. Going to pick it up later and have some fun with it!

  19. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaxdd
    I'm actually beginning to shoot more films than digital. I started off using my family PnS Pentax film cameras in the 90s and I really enjoyed it on all my trips. Come the digital age, we all rush into it like bees to honey. Not surprising, I went into digital photography as well. However, a few years into digital photography, I find myself aimlessly shooting with no regards for composition and timing. I can't say I'm a photographer, but I am just not satisfied with my shots. Now that I am shooting more film, I am beginning to appreciate that each shot on a film is precious, not only because film is expensive, but because each shot is going to be permanent on the film strip. I start to gather my focus and composition more using film and also appreciate that I don't have to worry about white balance. Moreover, since I am a noob in PhotoShop, using film suits me better since I don't have to PP my pictures all the time. What is captured on the film remains true to its colour, texture and exposure. Just like things in its original condition...
    I fully agree... I shoot an actual day wedding using film camera as main and the digital as back up... After collecting the developed film and contact sheet... I still prefer the color and tone from the film... My client also like the color... It was so rich and punchy... Digital have to do a lot of DI to look better... Sad but true... I only managed to submit a few of my digital files... After those few hours of PP
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

  20. #100
    Member louis23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    ANG MO KIO
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloevera08
    I just repaired an old Yashica SLR film camera with an f/2.0 lens. i think its 28mm. Its with the camera repair man now. Going to pick it up later and have some fun with it!
    Great for you! Anyway i've just got a quote from a repair man for a nikon FG, a 50 1.4 and 50 1.8 lenses. FG had nothing wrong externally, not sure about the internals, the lenses had very obvious fungus traces. The guy quoted me $150. Is it worth it if he can restore the equipment to almost perfect condition?

    Need some opinion here cos i have no previous experience with film cameras, shooting with or repairing.

    Thanks guys.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •