Thread: Do we need thumbdrive with file compression feature?

Default Do we need thumbdrive with file compression feature?

Need advice. Do we need those TD with file compression feature?

How will it affect the integrity of our files saved in it? JPG in particular.

Can we turn off the compression feature if there;s one? Or is it fixed?

Default Re: Do we need thumbdrive with file compression feature?

i believe those kind of compression are like zip/rar... etc, in that case it will not affect jpg that much and have no problem with degrading quality... but having said that it might take longer to copy the file in/out from the drive since a decompress/compress process will be needed.

Errr..., I think general photography chat should be revise to general forum not only for photography....

Regards,
    Arto.

wondering can the compression be turned off? I need a TD to copy images and wont wanna risk degrading of Image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice View Post
    wondering can the compression be turned off? I need a TD to copy images and wont wanna risk degrading of Image quality.
    It's a 'scam'. I've got a 1Gb Sony that some one gave me that came with 'free file compression'. What it means is that there is a Windows driver package pre-loaded onto the flash that installs a file compression extension into Windows that makes your system compress files before writing them to the flash disk - similar to the 'file compression' driver already built into Windows.

Don't want to use compression ? (A good idea IMHO), don't install the driver that was pre-loaded onto the flash-drive. Delete the driver files to get your space back!.

It's Bad idea. If you use it, the files can only be recovered on a machine that has the driver loaded - so your files won't be readable on a Mac or Linux machine, or even on Windows machines where the owner won't let you install 'random device drivers' on their system. (e.g. office PCs)