Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Face mask out of stock

Default Face mask out of stock

Where to buy gas mask in singapore. Everywhere 3M N95 face mask is out of stock .

Deregistered

uh, virii are smaller in size than the pores of any face mask can filter out...

Originally posted by sehsuan
    may be got special mask that can do so??

if not what are those that pple wear in hospital??
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by sehsuan
    The SARS virus is 5 micron in size whereas the 3M N95 pores can filter any particle to the size of 0.3 micron which is sufficient to filter out the SARS virus.

Deregistered

Originally posted by rahjinoh
    The SARS virus is 5 micron in size whereas the 3M N95 pores can filter any particle to the size of 0.3 micron which is sufficient to filter out the SARS virus.
    fwah! that i didn't know!

*resolves to buy some too*

Default Re: Face mask out of stock

Originally posted by kiwitan
    Where to buy gas mask in singapore. Everywhere 3M N95 face mask is out of stock .
    Gas masks are different from face masks right? I think gas masks are what they use during chemical warfare.

Wah.. you want to wear mask while shopping? SARS is not as infectious through air as the flu, the hospital staff wear the full gear because they come into close contact and care for the patient.

Anyway, for your info the N95 mask is able to filter out the potential SARS agents as the healthcare personnel using them have proven. YOu don't need a gas mask. SHould you need to use a mask, please don't use a surgical mask. That's useless.

My personal opinion, masks are unnecessary unless you are in close contact with the patients.
    1)It's main mode of infection is through means other than air.
    2)Patients in incubation periods are NON-INFECTIVE. They start becoming infectious when they have fever.

Take care and precautions but don't overdo......

Good health to all.

Originally posted by rahjinoh
    Where did you obtain this figure of 5 microns? The CDC in the US reports that:

"What is the cause of SARS?

On the basis of available information, the cause of SARS cannot be definitively identified. On March 25, CDC announced that its scientists had detected a previously unrecognized coronavirus in 2 patients with SARS. These findings are preliminary and do not provide conclusive evidence that coronavirus is the cause of SARS."

So, does the 5 micron you quote refer to the size of the coronavirus, which at this point, may or may not be the cause of SARS?

This SARS maybe a conspiracy by the Face Mask Association or FMA. They have a whole warehouse filled with unsold face-mask.

Dont take this whole situation too seriously, its not as bad as you think. This virus is not as infectious as flu, so no need to worry. I will rather stay at home and avoid unnecessary travel, especially to the public place. And most important do not panic....

Originally posted by hanoman
    Dont take this whole situation too seriously, its not as bad as you think. This virus is not as infectious as flu, so no need to worry.
    How do you know? Scientisits have not even identified the virus yet. And yet you can tell that the virus is not as infectious as the flu?

I think it doesn't hurt to be more cautious.

Funny attitude, Singaporeans. Time to be kiasu and kiasi, people say no need to worry. Then come time to queue up for Hello Kitty, everyone become kiasu and kiasi.

Originally posted by ckhaos
    How do you know? Scientisits have not even identified the virus yet. And yet you can tell that the virus is not as infectious as the flu?

I think it doesn't hurt to be more cautious.

Funny attitude, Singaporeans. Time to be kiasu and kiasi, people say no need to worry. Then come time to queue up for Hello Kitty, everyone become kiasu and kiasi.
    I draw my conclusion based on how the patient were infected. Practically they have a close contact with the victim. I read in ST today, they said the scienctist in HK have already identified the virus. If this thing is as contagious as flu, the patient in the hospital must be doube if not triple. This is just my opinion, you can believe or not.

Its not about kiasu or kiasi, its about how to control the situation. We should not be panic until it affect our daily lives. Precaution is good, but you need to pay for that.....

Read my quote from the CDC:

On the basis of available information, the cause of SARS cannot be definitively identified. On March 25, CDC announced that its scientists had detected a previously unrecognized coronavirus in 2 patients with SARS. These findings are preliminary and do not provide conclusive evidence that coronavirus is the cause of SARS."

I think it is irresponsible to advice people not to panic. If someone follows your advice and dies, are you going to be responsible? I would rather pay for precaution (whatever you mean by that) rather than die.

Read my quote from the CDC:

I think it is irresponsible to advice people not to panic. If someone follows your advice and dies, are you going to be responsible? I would rather pay for precaution (whatever you mean by that) rather than die.
    What is wrong with telling people not to panic. I am not forcing people not to panic. I am telling people not to panic. Do you understand the meaning of telling and forcing....

If I tell a person not to panic for this SARS thing, I will also give them some explanation. Its up to the person whether he/she want to take my word or not. Even if he/she follow my word and happened that they are infected with SARS, it is still not my responsible. Nobody responsible for their own action. And please do not forget this SARS fatality rate is not 100%, so even if you are infected, you have a good chance to survive.

I do not want to debate further. As I said before, what I am stated here is my own opinion. I am not trying to become an expert in this SARS thing. I am just trying to share my opinion.

one more thing to add, if you panic your brain tends to slow down

peace....
    Last edited by hanoman; 29th March 2003 at 08:34 PM.

Wow, geez, so panicking is a responsible act?

well our minister of health and minister of education both also urged singaporeans not to panic, cos it really isn't as infectious as what most people think. The papers also stated that the chance of a common person getting infected with SARS is low, provided that he doesn't come into close or prolong contact with infected personnels.

Anyway hanoman is not telling us to take it light...he's just saying don't take it too seriously. I think everyone has the responsibility to get himself informed of the facts and not switch on the panic mode rashly. The last thing the government or the country need is a mass hysteria.

God bless the infected people and hope everyone recovers....and also hope that the hazard can be contained soon.

Don't flame me.

I think what's going on here is ckhaos is concerned that people should take precautions and hanoman hopes people not to panic. Both mean well, just a matter of word perception I guess.

A panic situation is not good, things get out of control.

Finally, one should NEVER incite panic. Teach caution, not panic.

It's a really fine line between creating panic and urging caution.

To be honest, I kept my kids out of school since Tuesday, 2 days before they closed the schools. Consider what you read in the newspapers as the tip of the iceberg of truth. Just as there is technically no way to CONFIRM that a person has SARS, there is no REAL evidence that SARS CANNOT be transmitted through casual contact. Think about some of the cases, such as the cardiologist attending to the patient who was in the same room as another patient who had a visitor who just visitied a SARS patient... you get my drift.

Silverelf, I recognise that you are trying to counter misinformation, but consider that the information you have been given (fed?), even as a trained professional, may not be entirely accurate either. For all we know, what is being discussed and revealed in higher circles may chill our blood.

OK enough of that. Here are some of the advantages of wearing a face mask while seeing patients:

1. You can smirk when you're thinking about a joke while examining a patient, without worrying that the patient will take it personally.

2. You don't need to worry about your bad breath.

3. You can go for DAYS without shaving and nobody will be the wiser.

4. You can have a nose job or grow a moustache without anyone having a clue, and unveil it two weeks later, without people asking: "What's that dirt on your upper lip?"

5. You don't have to worry about patients staring at the food particles in your teeth, or that zit on your nose.

6. etc etc

And, of course, it can protect you against SARS, if only because the mask prevents you from touching your face after touching a SARS patient.

MOH said, "although little is known about the virus, it is highly unlikely to be airborne."

CDC in the US said, "we are concerned about the possibility of airborne transmission across broader areas and also the possibility that objects that become contaminated in the environment could serve as modes of spread."

In addition, "Coronaviruses can survive in the environment for up to two or three hours, and so it's possible that a contaminated object could serve as a vehicle for transfer to someone else."

So, to panic or not?

So, to panic or not?
    not to panic, but to be concerned and take necessary precautions. Even if immediate war breaks out, no one should panic too. What help does panic do?

Aiyoh, ur really making me feel queasy now leh.
    Btw , would really appreciate if u guys can give some clue on where to get those 3M mask, been trying to buy some to no avail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast