Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Giving up shooting?

Default Agreed

Originally posted by Red Dawn
    Hi Dagger,

try going to church. if u're interested in that, pm me....

Everything is temporal and transient....as much as photography is...just another hobby or means of survival.

For some reason I've only just discovered this thread today.

Simone, I can't say I know what you're feeling so I won't pretend to. In my deepest darkest moments photography loses its appeal to me too, but in those situations I'm usually semi-suicidal as well so I don't think they count.

But certainly, I can say that there are things you can do so much of that you passion decreases. Some things just aren't downright enjoyable. I do so much football I hate it now, and frankly, the problem with that is that I don't get to create pictures and only to react to what's in front of me. I suspect although I might well be wrong that this might well be what you're going through as well - an excess of shooting subjects that aren't creatively stimulating.

I think taking a break is a good idea. But not the only possible solution. Sit back and examine what you're doing, why you're doing it. I do it because on a basic level I enjoy shooting. Enjoy creating, and therein lies the rub for me, my work isn't as creative as it could be.

Good luck. Feel free to make that call if you want.

And on a lighter note, I want first refusal on your kit!

maybe u can consider going to sec or jc to give some talks on photography?

talk to the youger ones and ask them why they wan to learn photography.

Some will tell u they need the points for school grades....
    some will impress u with their passion

when u teach them, maybe u'll find out how come such teenagers are always full of energy and life...

share your woes and tell them why u started photography. recollect the days that u shot with simple full manual cameras. recollect the days and time spent in the d/r....

should u see that u had sparked off people's interest, maybe u will come out of the gloom.... (at the same time making new friends!)

just some rubbish from a stranger....

Dagger,
    Don't dispose your equipment. Just lock it and take about 1-2 months without any photography activity. I been through that moment and I realize the pain I have to go through when I have to set up equipment from the scratch again.

PS.
    If after 2 months your fingers not itchy to play with your equipment you can consider to sell it. And don't forget to put me on your potential buyer prefered list.
    W204FL

Originally posted by Jed
    [B]In my deepest darkest moments photography loses its appeal to me too, but in those situations I'm usually semi-suicidal as well so I don't think they count.
    i quite agree bout the above....i havent been posting anything anywhere for a long while.....seems like my sch's cirriculum has already dampen my passion for photography...nowadays it's juz shoot for the need of it or fail....seemed like meaningless....i cant even motivate myself to go out and shoot for FUN on a nice sunny day.

Seeing my own standards going down can be quite negatively discouraging...there's no one to motivate you enuff and dun mean by sarcastic remarks or competitive photography. These dun work somehow.

It doesnt help when the economy is down...no $$...everything need $$.....even when u take public transport out...expensive....with the SARS going around....makes one wonder if everything is juz worthwhile.....SIGH
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Originally posted by sbs99
    i quite agree bout the above....i havent been posting anything anywhere for a long while.....seems like my sch's cirriculum has already dampen my passion for photography...nowadays it's juz shoot for the need of it or fail....seemed like meaningless....i cant even motivate myself to go out and shoot for FUN on a nice sunny day.

Seeing my own standards going down can be quite negatively discouraging...there's no one to motivate you enuff and dun mean by sarcastic remarks or competitive photography. These dun work somehow.

It doesnt help when the economy is down...no $$...everything need $$.....even when u take public transport out...expensive....with the SARS going around....makes one wonder if everything is juz worthwhile.....SIGH
    A fellow snapper told me how he would love to cover the SARS outbreak photographically. So maybe you can do that.

But please don the necessary anti-biowarfare suit and masks first, and cremate the camera after that.

Regards
    CK

Dagger,

drop your gear for a bit. Take a month long holiday and get out of this country. And when you get back, maybe try taking up another hobby or do something different. There is more to life then just photography...(really, there is).

Nitro.

Originally posted by ckiang
    A fellow snapper told me how he would love to cover the SARS outbreak photographically. So maybe you can do that.

But please don the necessary anti-biowarfare suit and masks first, and cremate the camera after that.

Regards
    CK
    Might be the same person who have already approached me bout covering the same thing...haaha

i declined, coz there's a possibility of being caught and quarantined, i got my exams in a months time....no wise to risk it....besides i believe the hospital officials wont let you walk around with a camera freely.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

no need to give up la, photography can be a lifelong hobby, just put it aside for a while.

unless ur frustrations are directly related to photography, y take it out on it?

hellows
    just a newbie here but can vaguely understand wat dagger means by feeling tired and all. i mean, i dun shoot often and long enuff to feel tired of it but for other things yes and i think that a break helps becoz i believe that at the end of the day.. there is something abt the activity that draws us to it to begin with and we might grow tired for a while but it is a part of us and we would miss it when its gone i guess so hold ur horses abt the gear selling. break is good. consider something new like writing.. photo is picture record, writing is words record. was writing lots til i sick and took break, switch to photo but now...slowly miss me writing.. think my photos gonna suffer=).

SARS.. good it.. (me am medic, walk past nuh everyday) very tempted to take out cam and shoot but u probably be shot. ha, saw this saf soldier outside A&E with mask ard neck talking a smoke break, puffing away. quite ironic considering lung cancer has a higher kill rate than SARS! haha but interesting photo. pity no cam then.

I know quite a handful of people who have given up photography. Not totally but sort of "downgraded" themselves from sophisticated SLRs to simple point and shoot, whether film or digital. The reasons are very "real" and understandable. Most of those I know are married men! But not surprising.

1. As a very serious amateur, photography can be a liability. All those films, lenses, upgrades, accessories, developing, wasted prints, etc. If you add up it goes by thousands of $$$. And mind you, you don't make serious $$$ out of the hobby.

2. Photography can be tiring and sometimes, we give ourselves unrealistic expectations. For eg, we see some nice pictures taken by some pros of some places and we yearn to copy those shots. Often either the angle is not right or we can never get that perfect lighting or scene. That's bcos the pros usually have the benefit of permission from authorities to do a proper shot. They can also afford the time and are familiar with their bearings. As tourists or lay people, it's hard to get THE shot.

3. Lenses, lenses and more lenses. Yup, you never fail to see people discussing this in photo forums. CS is a good eg. Which lens to get, which body to buy, should I buy should I sell, etc etc. So other than concentrating on taking photographs, some amateurs have fallen into the trap of being a camera dealer in his or her own right. That's tiring and again, it saps your money. Everyone's talking about f/2.8 or faster. 10 years ago, only the semi-pros or serious amateurs think about f/2.8 zooms. Now it seems even budding photographers try to own one.

4. Wasted shots. Oh boy. That's the worst probably. You spend so much time and money and sometimes you get only 1 good shot after pressing the button so many times. Of cos it may be satisfying at first but then, it's money down the drain again. After a few weeks, that shot will land somewhere in the dark hidden corner of your cupboard to be taken out again after who-knows-when.

5. Family commitments. Married men will understand this. Priority is given to his family's financial upkeeping. No more is it so simple to spend hundreds per month on camera accessories and films+developing. It's not possible to be out even 1/2 a day to shoot while leaving your family at home. Even if you want to take your kids' photos, sometimes, just setting up the equipment and waiting for THE moment takes ages. Hey, there are other chores to do too in life as a married man!

So at the end of the day, some of us would rather "give up" photography and go for one of those easy to carry and handle cameras. After all, you want to get reasonable shots. Those cameras can produce them.

Personally, I dunno how to deal with the problem. I should say maybe keep things simple without being over-simple. I get tired sometimes chasing ater THE shot as an amateur. It's very tiring. But then again, I'm still single. How if I'm married? Things could be very different.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kiwi2
    Everyone's talking about f/2.8 or faster. 10 years ago, only the semi-pros or serious amateurs think about f/2.8 zooms. Now it seems even budding photographers try to own one.

True true. I think in particular it seems to be a Singaporean phenomenon. Well heeled affluent society drives us to such lengths.

Originally posted by ckiang

but i still dun understand why must cremate camera......
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Originally posted by Red Dawn
    but i still dun understand why must cremate camera......
    Coz the coronavirus can stay on the camera, strap, shutter, cmos, ccd, etc.

Regards
    CK

quarantine it for 10 days??

think all of us will reach a point where photography seemed nothing interesting anymore. photos always looks the same too. i believe if you can break through this point photography will move to a new dimension for you-moving from nice photos to wow photos. you may be very very close to another higher level!

If you choose to stop here and pick another hobby, the final outcome will be the same-it will be fun for a well til you reach a stage that challenges you beyond average performance and you are going to let it go again.

its your mindset that you need to push across the breaking point, not another new hobby.

dagger why not you talk to my teacher and seek his advice,
    you can pm me.
    you know him too....

Dear All,
    Thank you so much for you kind words and concerns.
    As mentioned earlier, never did i expect sure reaction from the group. It has been decided that this passion/hobby will stay and various paces will be taken to tone down and up when time is right.
    See you alla round, guys!
    Cheers,
    Dagger

Excellent... =)

Originally posted by Dagger
    Dear All,
    Thank you so much for you kind words and concerns.
    As mentioned earlier, never did i expect sure reaction from the group. It has been decided that this passion/hobby will stay and various paces will be taken to tone down and up when time is right.
    See you alla round, guys!
    Cheers,
    Dagger

-------------------------------
    IVOR said, "I have decided to stay too... "

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345