View Poll Results: Which image will you choose

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option A

    0 0%
  • Option B

    4 44.44%
  • Option C

    5 55.56%
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Choice Low Light Image

  1. #1
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Exclamation Choice Low Light Image

    What is the most important, assuming that you do not have lens fast enough to shoot without using a high ISO option without flash at an event, wedding or maybe even for night portraits.

    A. Noiseless Image, use low ISO and just fire away with flash.
    - Light up the subject and and get dark background and ambient lightings.
    - No noise but got harsh flash directed at the subject, shadows at the background very dark.

    B. Abit Noisy Image, increase abit ISO, fire away with flash then do Noise Reduction.
    - Light up the subject and get some ambient lightings. The background becomes brighter, but the shadows caused by the flash still quite visible.
    - Noise Reduction to remove noise. But still got very little bit.

    C. Quite Noisy Image, increase more ISO, fire away with flash to fill in then do Noise Reduction.
    - Subject, background and ambient lightings becomes very visible, background shadows barely visible, assuming not too much important details were lost.
    - Noise Reduction to remove noise. But not enough to make the image as clean as option B.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    Oops title shd be "Choice of Low Light Image". Left out the "of".
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    I'll take option C.

    with enough lighting on your subject, you should get pretty alright noise on the subject, while you get bad noise on the BG.

    but however, that's ASSUMING if your shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the subject without too much blur.

    and saw you at raine yang's event. no work?

  4. #4
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    I'll take option C.

    with enough lighting on your subject, you should get pretty alright noise on the subject, while you get bad noise on the BG.

    but however, that's ASSUMING if your shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the subject without too much blur.

    and saw you at raine yang's event. no work?
    Was free today. Did you get pictures of her too? I posted this due to the choice of settings used today at the event to attain enough shutterspeed to prevent handshake and retaining most details.

    I'd pick option C myself too, but I want to see the majority of the images preferred.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    What is the most important, assuming that you do not have lens fast enough to shoot without using a high ISO option without flash at an event, wedding or maybe even for night portraits.

    A. Noiseless Image, use low ISO and just fire away with flash.
    - Light up the subject and and get dark background and ambient lightings.
    - No noise but got harsh flash directed at the subject, shadows at the background very dark.

    B. Abit Noisy Image, increase abit ISO, fire away with flash then do Noise Reduction.
    - Light up the subject and get some ambient lightings. The background becomes brighter, but the shadows caused by the flash still quite visible.
    - Noise Reduction to remove noise. But still got very little bit.

    C. Quite Noisy Image, increase more ISO, fire away with flash to fill in then do Noise Reduction.
    - Subject, background and ambient lightings becomes very visible, background shadows barely visible, assuming not too much important details were lost.
    - Noise Reduction to remove noise. But not enough to make the image as clean as option B.
    I'd take option B but without the flash shadows. Depends on how you use your flash. I would use a diffuser such as a Lumiquest Softbox or a bounce card and shoot only landscape orientation where the shadow is cast behind the subject. If I need portrait orientation I would then crop.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Was free today. Did you get pictures of her too? I posted this due to the choice of settings used today at the event to attain enough shutterspeed to prevent handshake and retaining most details.

    I'd pick option C myself too, but I want to see the majority of the images preferred.
    i only had a 30mm with me, hence, got nothing except this:

    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=284106

    anyway, didnt you have a 70-200 2.8?

    judging from the lightings, ISO 1600, 1/100 f/2.8 shouldnt be too hard what, and you're pretty close right?

    thats unless the sun went down too early. hahaha

  7. #7
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I'd take option B but without the flash shadows. Depends on how you use your flash. I would use a diffuser such as a Lumiquest Softbox or a bounce card and shoot only landscape orientation where the shadow is cast behind the subject. If I need portrait orientation I would then crop.
    Good idea, but cropping from landscape to portrait orientation reduces too much resolution.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Choice Low Light Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    i only had a 30mm with me, hence, got nothing except this:

    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=284106

    anyway, didnt you have a 70-200 2.8?

    judging from the lightings, ISO 1600, 1/100 f/2.8 shouldnt be too hard what, and you're pretty close right?

    thats unless the sun went down too early. hahaha
    Nice shot,

    My settings were ISO 1600, 1/80, f2.8. Almost similar to your judgement. The images were still underexposed because I reduced the power of my flash, and yet retain this shutterspeed to prevent handshake. There're people pushing around (as usual) at the event so I cannot reduce the shutterspeed further.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •