Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: can we dodge lightning when we see it coming down our direction?

Default Re: can we dodge lightning when we see it coming down our direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    come out liao ar...
    yeah, tml vesak day, friday holiday, sunday back in. but should be posted out next week i think.

anyway, lightning, or electricity does travel near the speed of light. cos the propogation of the electrical signal is caused by the movement of the first few electrons, which then repels nearby electrons, which then repels more and more till the electrical signal is passed on. the "thing" repelling them is the electrostatic forces, one of the four fundemental forces of nature. electrostatic forces, in quantum electrodynamics, are basically virtual photons being
    "exchanged" between electrical charges. and the photons, also called light, travels at the speed of light(duh). therefore, on the whole, electrical signals travels near the speed of light (nearly, cos wire have resistance).

but the drift speed of the electrons inside are much much much much much much slower. if you observe one single electron, you will find it moving at speeds around few millimeters per second. that's the drift speed, which is different from the electrical signal speed.

Default Re: can we dodge lightning when we see it coming down our direction?

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    It really happened leh...Now I treasure my life after I escaped death 3 times (2 lightnings and 1 bike accident).
    Wow, you're very lucky. Or maybe people should stay clear of you...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234