Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELITE-ism

Default ELITE-ism

What are your views towards it? Moderators do close this thread down if it gets too personal

Default Re: ELITE-ism

I found it extremely hilarious that the ST had an article about SEC school students here worrying about elitism...

oh no...here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by allsmilez View Post
    oh no...here we go again
    huh was there such a thread? ps

school holidays ... sheesh ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    What are your views towards it? Moderators do close this thread down if it gets too personal
    if u know jolly well it is going (or have the potential to get personal), why start?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

The search for excellence fosters Elite-ism.

Even in Stone Age, every caveman wants a bigger cave and a bigger stick to club another caveman.

We see the same thing happening in our society.

This is the correct definition of elitism as I learnt it:
    Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

For the converse of "elitism" see "anti-elitism," "populism," and the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity.

At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the "social elite."

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.
    There is nothing wrong with elitism. It's just that the press has thoroughly warped its meaning beyond proportion.

Elitism goes in hand with capitalism, and if you think it (capitalism) isn't the driving force in the world today, you are probably very delusional, and should migrate to North Korea. =)

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    school holidays ... sheesh ...
    Hi master eikin..lol...
    Sadly, i have TWO EXTRA weeks of lessons...sighh

ok on the serious note, i just feel that people are coming down too hard on the elites

The only Elite i know is " For Honour and Glory "

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    This is the correct definition of elitism as I learnt it:

There is nothing wrong with elitism. It's just that the press has thoroughly warped its meaning beyond proportion.

Elitism goes in hand with capitalism, and if you think it (capitalism) isn't the driving force in the world today, you are probably very delusional, and should migrate to North Korea. =)
    Yes, I agree with you.

It is inevitable that in a capitalist society there will be a widening income gap, resulting in the haves and havenots which results in feeling of elitism, even in education where the school you go to determines your future. This of course, is generally bull. Where you get to depends on your tenacity and determination.

Elitism is usually not mentioned in a captalist society, it is usually a given.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Yes, I agree with you.

It is inevitable that in a capitalist society there will be a widening income gap, resulting in the haves and havenots which results in feeling of elitism, even in education where the school you go to determines your future. This of course, is generally bull. Where you get to depends on your tenacity and determination.

I was from what you would call an "elitist" background. There are loads of people who are dirt poor in those schools. I just find it ironic that only those who are rich or have some perceived "power people" links get it waved in the air when they err.. And those who aren't that rich in the first place get into trouble - no one thinks : Hey, that's like me. Just that he worked harder and got into a better school.

Just like the recent HC case - did anyone ever question that he should not be considered an elite because nothing was really mentioned about his background? He might be dirt poor as well - MOE gives out scholarships to people who do well in their PSLE to subsidise their independent school education. At least this was in the past - if this has changed with the Integrated Programme implementation (or through train, if you will); people in the know please update.

I think it's just angst that spills over to anything that they perceive as different. In the end, what you call "elite" are still humans after all, and not all of them are lofty. In fact most of the rich people I know are a lot more humane than you think, and have a lot of humility. It's just really, really sad that they are all tarred over with the same brush because of ONE Wee Shu Min.

If you ask me, I'd blame this on the press. Probably someone started something in the papers, got a good response and then now they keep flogging the somewhat "dead" horse - at least it's dead to me, and it's very very tiring since everyone seems to just follow the trend blindly without any question or much thought.

very very nicely put

Elite or Not Elite, both will walk down the same journey eventually.

Arrived in naked, Depart in naked. Understand ?

Oh and by the way, EDIT: I used to be from an elite school too. Top 5 la, haha.

My richer friends in there are very humble, and it's usually the not so rich that are posing. That's my own observation. So really, elitism is just a play of sympathy among others. Elitism is really not that common. Not as if the 'elite' bunch up and not open itself to others.
    Last edited by germ_boi; 29th May 2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Edit: I'm no longer in an elite school. :p

Oh and by the way, I'm from an elite school too. Top 5 la, haha.

My richer friends in there are very humble, and it's usually the not so rich that are posing. That's my own observation. So really, elitism is just a play of sympathy among others. Elitism is really not that common. Not as if the 'elite' bunch up and not open itself to others.
    o.O JC ? .. i believe its hardly the richer who thinks that they are elites...but others who put this "elite" term as social burden on the richer ones...sour grapes -.-

Oh and by the way, I'm from an elite school too. Top 5 la, haha.

It's just a societal trend I guess. People just can't tolerate differing views or people being different already. At times in Clubsnap Kopitiam I play devil's advocate and throw pretty sound logic (at least in my opinion) to side with the parties which seem to be getting slammed, and what do I get in return?

Emotional logic - or what I call emo-logic. It is a hyperbole. With emotion you can hardly have room for logic. I get called names, get ad hominem attacks in return, but no one properly refutes my points most of the point.

Give it a few more hours, and this thread will be taken over by the same old bunch. And I'll get called the same old names, and then finally it will be locked. Welcome to Singapore today.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    Elite or Not Elite, both will walk down the same journey eventually.

Arrived in naked, Depart in naked. Understand ?
    The Elite One will depart with a long procession of mourners and in a gold-plated coffin. A paper private jet will be burnt for him for his speedy arrival at heavenly gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The Elite One will depart with a long procession of mourners and in a gold-plated coffin. A paper private jet will be burnt for him for his speedy arrival at heavenly gate.

What about Afghan girls?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ....Give it a few more hours, and this thread will be taken over by the same old bunch. And I'll get called the same old names, and then finally it will be locked. Welcome to Singapore today.
    Yes they will call you "The Elitest Elite in this Elitistic Island".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast