Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Technical Help needed on networking

  1. #1
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Technical Help needed on networking

    Hi guys,

    Need some technical help on networking.

    My computer has two network ports on it (both onboard on the m/b).

    One of them (A) is currently connected via direct connection to the starhub BB modem for internet access.

    I want to use the other port (B) to connect to a home network so that file sharing can occur on that network.

    At some point in time (but not critical now), I may change the starhub modem direct connection to a router based connection.

    Anyway, for now, how do I connect to two networks at the same time? When i try plugging it in, for some reason my starhub BB modem no longer works (ie I can't get internet traffic from there anymore).

    I thought that maybe I shd disable TCPIP on B - but when I do that, windows xp automaticlaly says i must disable client for ms networks and file and printer sharing for ms networks. I thikn the home network wont work after these are disabled.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    My guess is that port B's network is to some router serving your home network? Maybe you need to disable the gateway on port B's network router; the problem could be that both network cards' gateways are enabled thus mightily confusing the OS where routing is concerned.

  3. #3
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Alright, to elaborate more, here's how the current setup works.


    My CPU - A - SH modem.

    My CPU - B - Switch with 3 computers on it - Router with 2 other computers on it - Another SH modem.

    I only need to connect to the computers on the switch, but I think it wont work that way, I shd probably get a connection to all 5 other computers.

    I do not want to affect the 2 computers as they need to access the internet on their own. What's this "gateway mode" and can I disable it just for my computer? Thanks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    My guess is that port B's network is to some router serving your home network? Maybe you need to disable the gateway on port B's network router; the problem could be that both network cards' gateways are enabled thus mightily confusing the OS where routing is concerned.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    So is your configuration something like:
    Code:
    
    +---------+
    |         +--[A]--------------------------> SH modem #1
    | PC #1   |
    |         |
    |         +--[B]---> [switch] -+-- PC #2
    +---------+                    +-- PC #3
                                   +-- PC #4
                                   |
                                  [router] ---> SH modem #2
                                      |
                                      +-- PC #5
                                      +-- PC #6
    
    The [router] connected to SH modem #2 is probably giving addresses to PC's #1, #2, #3, #4 and hence conflicting with the routing from SH mdoem #1.

    I think the easiest way to do what you want is to set up a static IP on [B]; just make sure the address you choose for it does not conflict with the DHCP addresses given out by the router.

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Wow, nice diagram.

    I'll try the static ip method, but I don't understand why does having a dynamic ip or static ip make any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    So is your configuration something like:
    Code:
    [font=Courier New]+---------+[/font]
    [font=Courier New]|         +--[A]--------------------------> SH modem #1[/font]
    [font=Courier New]| PC #1   |[/font]
    [font=Courier New]|         |[/font]
    [font=Courier New]|         +--[b]---> [switch] -+-- PC #2[/font]
    [font=Courier New]+---------+                    +-- PC #3[/font]
    [font=Courier New]                               +-- PC #4[/font]
    [font=Courier New]                               |[/font]
    [font=Courier New]                              [router] ---> SH modem #2[/font]
    [font=Courier New]                                  |[/font]
    [font=Courier New]                                  +-- PC #5[/font]
    [font=Courier New]                                  +-- PC #6[/font]
    [font=Courier New][/font]
    The [router] connected to SH modem #2 is probably giving addresses to PC's #1, #2, #3, #4 and hence conflicting with the routing from SH mdoem #1.

    I think the easiest way to do what you want is to set up a static IP on [b]; just make sure the address you choose for it does not conflict with the DHCP addresses given out by the router.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Oh, I forgot to mention: set the static IP, but leave the gateway address blank. That is the difference vs using the dynamic IP (as the router will automatically assign the gateway).

  7. #7
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Am I right to say that these settings are in Window XP for my network adapter? Not on the router right?

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention: set the static IP, but leave the gateway address blank. That is the difference vs using the dynamic IP (as the router will automatically assign the gateway).

  8. #8

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Am I right to say that these settings are in Window XP for my network adapter? Not on the router right?
    Yup, on your network adapter settings in WinXP.

  9. #9
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Im having trouble figuring out where the gateway settings are - is it in TCPIP under that network adapter - is it under the "DNS Server"? I know at the IP address I shd change it from obtain automatically, to entering the specifc numbers. But not sure where's the gateway settings part.

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Yup, on your network adapter settings in WinXP.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Im having trouble figuring out where the gateway settings are - is it in TCPIP under that network adapter - is it under the "DNS Server"? I know at the IP address I shd change it from obtain automatically, to entering the specifc numbers. But not sure where's the gateway settings part.
    What ah.zeep is referring to "Default gateway". Leave it blank.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  11. #11
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Oh i foudn it, it seems to be blank by default.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    What ah.zeep is referring to "Default gateway". Leave it blank.

  12. #12
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    One problem,

    I've been reading ard on how to set static ip addresses. Some online tutorials say I have to disable dhcp on the router. But if I do that, how is computer 5 and 6 going to get their ip addresses?

    EDIT: I read on and it says I can set the DHCP range to something outisde the static ip address range, so that kinda solves it I guess.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    One problem,

    I've been reading ard on how to set static ip addresses. Some online tutorials say I have to disable dhcp on the router. But if I do that, how is computer 5 and 6 going to get their ip addresses?

    EDIT: I read on and it says I can set the DHCP range to something outisde the static ip address range, so that kinda solves it I guess.
    As long as the static IP address that you set in outside the DHCP server IP address range, you should not have any problem. There isn't a need for you to disable the DHCP server.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  14. #14
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Okay got it. But what I read online states that we need to fill in the gateway values. can confirm that this can be blank for a static ip?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Okay got it. But what I read online states that we need to fill in the gateway values. can confirm that this can be blank for a static ip?
    In your case, it will be blank.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  16. #16
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Ah okay I know why - because in my case I'm using another connection for Internet.

    I've successfully connected to the router - how I check this is by typing 192.168.1.1 in the IE box and it can connect to the router - as of now however, I can't see the other computers on the same network (ie computers 5 and 6). They are all set to the same workgroup so I guess I'll just wait - not sure if waiting would help, sometimes it does.

  17. #17
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Ah I got it to work! Thanks everyone for their kind assistance.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Great work Glad to have helped.

  19. #19
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Technical Help needed on networking

    Thanks again

    One small isssue which cropped up though, computer 5 can see computer 1, but computer 1 can't see computer 5. Any idea why?

    All user accounts have been set up properly on both computers.

    Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Great work Glad to have helped.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •