Thread: Portpolio

Default Portpolio

1. Green Cameleon/Lizard

Shot this at Taman Negara, Jerantut, Pahang.

2. JB Across the Causeway

3. Fishing Boats
    Taken on my trip at Sg. Nipah, Port Dickson.

4. Portrait- Fuji Gals
    1st shot at "real" flash photography using my new external flash. Taken on the day itself after I bought my flash. Neutral colours.

5. Blazing Fire

Taken somewhere at the end of last year during a factory explosion in Johor.

1st attempt in this portfolio stuffs. Feedbacks and critiques are most welcomed if permited and available

The last picture carries a certain sense of inferno to it.
    I really dig it.
    Hope you're not the arsonist.

Default re: portpolio

Greetings roon2c

Ok lets get down to the butchering.

you seem to have mastered the art of using the flash. Great stuff, but dont overuse it, and if you do use it, try and vary the angle of flash.

Take a good look at your pictures and you realise its very very very very and i can't stop emphasizing this, very very very very very flat. Its awful! Lets put it this way, if you didn't have a flash on camera, and you put your camera on a tripod. used available light, shifted yourself. You would have aced that lizard shot with brilliant highlights on top of its body, priceless shadows below it and texture that would make proffesionals gawk. The background and shadows on the tree and plants would really show. That would be aesthetically beautiful to view.

Your shots of the girls are the same, its FLAT, like this word. FLAT! Angle the flash, angle yourself. Give them identity, personality. Read up abit on lighitng techniques. It'll give you an idea of what kind of light will give you what kind of personality.

Your sepia print has beautiful composition, but that was ruined by the lack of detail in the sky, did you overprint? underprint? cheat by running it through photoshop and you lost all the contrast in the sky? ask yourself why the river has so much detail and the sky has none. Dont tell me it was all blue, cause it wasn't.

But more than that, what are you trying to say with this portfolio?
    Pick a couple of picture that relate than say something with it. Not random shots. Read guidelines posted by moderators please. They're trying to craft a community of photographers not snapshotters.

yanfeng

Default Re: re: portpolio

Originally posted by yanfengl
    Greetings roon2c

Ok lets get down to the butchering.

you seem to have mastered the art of using the flash. Great stuff, but dont overuse it, and if you do use it, try and vary the angle of flash.

Take a good look at your pictures and you realise its very very very very and i can't stop emphasizing this, very very very very very flat. Its awful! Lets put it this way, if you didn't have a flash on camera, and you put your camera on a tripod. used available light, shifted yourself. You would have aced that lizard shot with brilliant highlights on top of its body, priceless shadows below it and texture that would make proffesionals gawk. The background and shadows on the tree and plants would really show. That would be aesthetically beautiful to view.

Your shots of the girls are the same, its FLAT, like this word. FLAT! Angle the flash, angle yourself. Give them identity, personality. Read up abit on lighitng techniques. It'll give you an idea of what kind of light will give you what kind of personality.

Your sepia print has beautiful composition, but that was ruined by the lack of detail in the sky, did you overprint? underprint? cheat by running it through photoshop and you lost all the contrast in the sky? ask yourself why the river has so much detail and the sky has none. Dont tell me it was all blue, cause it wasn't.

But more than that, what are you trying to say with this portfolio?
    Pick a couple of picture that relate than say something with it. Not random shots. Read guidelines posted by moderators please. They're trying to craft a community of photographers not snapshotters.

yanfeng
    Hi yanfeng

Regarding the flash on the lizard, i cant help it, it was a split second shot I only have one shot and it ran off after i shot it. It was also handheld.

As for the sepia shot, it is as it is. It was taken on a heavy overcast day so it the sky was like it is... no cloud... sorry, i can't control the clouds. Nope it was greyish not blue.

Anyway,thanks dude for the reply =) Appreciate it and will keep that in mind.