Thread: What is "photography" har?

Sin
    Guests

Default What is "photography" har?

Seeing that this forum is for people to ask questions that has been answered repeatedly previously and answers easily found ifsome simple reading or search is done, here's my contribution:

I hear my friends all talking about things like "camera", "film", "light", "film speed", etc.....
    The word "photo graphy" pops up very frequently in conversation too.

Can any kind soul tell me what is this har??

(In case any thick skulls dont get it - Sarcasm intended. So mods, can you move this thread to kopitiam?)

Your wish is my command!

*poof*

Regards
    CK

Get a camera, start shooting and begin evaluating your work...the rest will fall into place!

I guess, those questions being asked, are unavoidable in a Photograhy core forum... else what other questions does one expect to ask...??

Likewise, in the local Palm PDA forum, everyday, one would see daily, the similiar questions being asked again and again...

Just my worthless 2 cents...

Originally posted by ivor
    I guess, those questions being asked, are unavoidable in a Photograhy core forum... else what other questions does one expect to ask...??

Likewise, in the local Palm PDA forum, everyday, one would see daily, the similiar questions being asked again and again...

think what sin meant is that, nowadays, people don't bother to read, only want instant answers.....

Regards
    CK

Evil_Sin
    Guests

But all i see is buy and sell most of the time and equipments..

So for a newbie like me is there a section for me to look at or just plain postings everyday and hoping any kind soul tat will help me out??

Yes, i understand what he meant, but as I mentioned, it is unavoidable... In my office, I have a set of standard answers to a standard questions that asked everyday by users... At time, I just cut my answer, and paste over their question...

Originally posted by ckiang
    think what sin meant is that, nowadays, people don't bother to read, only want instant answers.....

Regards
    CK

In my opinion, when you are in the forum... just ask what you think that you are in doubt... definitely, there is someone out there that will assist you in your doubt...

I am a newbie too in this forum... just have to do your part in the search if you can... else just ask... And of course, you can always fall to the PM to ask a particular person privately, if you feel that you would be 'prosecuted' if you asked...

Just another of my worthless 2 cents...

Originally posted by Evil_Sin

So for a newbie like me is there a section for me to look at or just plain postings everyday and hoping any kind soul tat will help me out??

The forum consists of many sections. One of them is Newbies Corner. Also there are equipment specific sections like Canon, Nikon, etc.. in case you have any doubt abt any specific brand equipment.

You dont have to go thru every single one of them if you choose not to. You can go and bookmark a specific section like Newbies Corner so that you only see that specific section instead of View all New Posts .

And as what Ivor replied, just ask what you think that you are in doubt. Everyone is a newbie once. Dont be afraid to ask. Thats the way to learn.

Hope that helps.

Yes, i understand what he meant, but as I mentioned, it is unavoidable... In my office, I have a set of standard answers to a standard questions that asked everyday by users... At time, I just cut my answer, and paste over their question...
    Well, avoidable. The poster just have to make some effort to read up first, or do a search, before posting. In the good old days of Usenet newsgroups, doing this will guarantee a chain of flames.

Regards
    CK

Sin
    Guests

Wow, the first member of my fan-club??

(no, it's not me, in case you're wondering)

Default DUH

for newbies most things can be read up n understood from many good photo urls eg photozone.de, photo.net, dpreview.com, etc. if really dunno then just post to ask. for more subjective things like "what tripod do u use?/what entry level cam do u recmmend?/wat ISO is best overall?/wat cam body do u use?/wat memory storage system do u use?/recommend a good lab?/which lens is better?/do u use primes?/etc" so what if u know what others use? more important is to learn all the basic technical info=can read up on your own, then think a while and form your own conclusions and philosophy (eg "my slowest lens allowable is f2.8"/ "i will stick to ISO400"/ "i dont like built in flash"/"i wil lshoot standard shots first then look for creative angles"/ "i will only use bodies heavier than 1kg"/"my only prime will be so n so"/ "i will stick to so n so type of storage"/"i know that brand x n y differ only in brand name n they both will work equally well"/etc....ie make up ur mind, buy what u like n know can work reasonably well, n shoot wat u like.