Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which camera is better for my *first* DSLR?

Default Re: Which camera is better for my *first* DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by pethuel View Post
    hmmm... so crop factor should be as "the smaller the better?" or pls explain how it works... i know that 350D and 400D has a crop factor of 1.6x issit? wats thats btw and how can it be an issue/problem?
    Well, to be honest, it's nothing much unless you're planning to use third party lenses - each system would have catered for the crop factor if you use first-party lenses.

Crop factor of 1.6x means that while a lens is say, labelled as a 50mm, when you attach it to a DSLR, you have to multiply the focal length by the crop factor. So a 50mm will actually become a 75+mm lens on a DSLR in 35mm terms. (35mm being the most common format in the past, so it's used as the standard, I guess)

Crop factor not necessarily smaller the better - like I said it depends on what you shoot. There is a reason why a lot of landscape photographers who do not go into medium format use the Canon 5D - it's a full frame sensor which means NO crop factor. On the other end of the scale, Olympus (and if I'm not wrong, the 4/3 buddies like Panny and Leica) has a 2x crop factor. So while this is no issue, as mentioned above if you use first party lenses.. A Sigma 17-70 would become a 34-140 as compared to 24-105 on say, Pentax with crop factor 1.5x.

Don't worry too much about it, though.

If it did, why wasn't this question raised earlier? I hope you see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Well, it does matter what he's going to use it for, my dear boy. If he's going to do a lot of low light shots then Canon with its good ISO performance would be recommended, etc etc.

Every camera brand has its body strengths and weaknesses - even more so for entry-level DSLRs. Crop factor to me, should also be an issue, though possibly minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by KhazamPC View Post
    If it did, why wasn't this question raised earlier? I hope you see my point.
    Because people forget. Simple.

And you get all the people pushing their brands. Every camera is good, frankly. It's just how you find the good in it. Cameras are like people in that way.

Pethuel,

landscapes, portraits, nature macro? That's tough eh. I think you should get a 18-200mm like the one you asked about previously.

Maybe from there, you'll be able to figure out your sweet range as your shooting matures. Then, get a better lens! I hope this helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12