Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    639

    Default How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Heya,

    I notice that for many types of shots...what seperates the extraordinary ones from the average ones is really the toning...

    Just wondering if you guys would like to share your workflow for doing toning via dodge/burn?

    I've seen many fantastic photos whereby the toning really makes or breaks the shot...but yet i can never seem to accomplish anything similar.

    Just wondering if pple do their toning using the dodge/burn tool in PS, or via layers and blend using dodge/burn in options...or any other workflows for that matter.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Lemme just give an example of an excellent artist's work of toning...

    http://angelreich.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Any suggestions on how to accomplish such effects/toning? Thanks!

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Lemme just give an example of an excellent artist's work of toning...

    http://angelreich.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Any suggestions on how to accomplish such effects/toning? Thanks!
    I think is a little bit over done...

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    very easy to achieve with mac... there's a staple program in everymac.. can't remember it off hand but i tried and it works

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas68 View Post
    I think is a little bit over done...
    Leica helps me calm down when i shoot.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Dodge/Burn is a dodgy process. I used it as a last resort.

    The most precise, versatile and effective tool for "toning" is Curves.

    And "toning" is actually contrasts: how bright the brights are in relation to the darks/shadows. Fine details, textures, 3D effects, are all achieved once you know how to manipulate the curve to give you the contrasts precisely where you want it.

    And then there are blending and masking which when used together is the digital equivalent of GND filters except that you are not restricted by any geometry or the number of stops in the gradation.

    Usually the use of curves and blending/masking will suffice and you dont need to do dodge/burn which is can be called upon for the last 5% of the work if necessary.

    And before that Selective Coloration and USM can also be used for "toning".

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Quote Originally Posted by dejected View Post
    very easy to achieve with mac... there's a staple program in everymac.. can't remember it off hand but i tried and it works
    Can recall what is that staple program?

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    There are some actions at http://www.1clickactions.co.uk that use layers and are very good as an alternative to the standard Dodge&Burn tool in Photoshop. They are in Volume 4 also they do toning and split-toning actions in Volume 2

  8. #8
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAcetate View Post
    There are some actions at http://www.1clickactions.co.uk that use layers and are very good as an alternative to the standard Dodge&Burn tool in Photoshop. They are in Volume 4 also they do toning and split-toning actions in Volume 2
    Is it very easy to use? these actions, does it still require alot of technical know-how or is it really just one-click and presto.

    Especially, actions like whitening teeth, how does the actions know where in the image the teeth are?

    Skeptical but want to try.. at the same time don't want to throw money away.

    ../azul123

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Its best to avoid actions. I think if you are serious about your pictures you ought to learn the basics - which are just a couple of things - and from there you can do most of the critical processing required. For example to do digital GND you just need to know blending and masking.

    And I can't see how digital GND can be an action: the number of stops in the gradient, the start, end of the gradient, how gentle or steep a gradient, and what geometry, are all picture dependent, and cannot be just applied as an action dumbly.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to do toning via Dodge/Burn?

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Is it very easy to use? these actions, does it still require alot of technical know-how or is it really just one-click and presto.

    Especially, actions like whitening teeth, how does the actions know where in the image the teeth are?

    Skeptical but want to try.. at the same time don't want to throw money away.

    ../azul123
    They are the easiest I've found and also the most versatile. For localised effects like the teeth etc it's a case of running the action and then simply painting with a white brush. Personally I find this a very simple and intuitive way of working.
    Many are "1-click and presto" but you can also adjust the intensity (unlike some) as they nearly all work on layers and don't harm the original.

    I also believe that actions can be a great learning tool - by seeing what the action does and following the steps can be an excellent way to learn. I tend to be on the lazy side - if an action gets the job done then why reinvent the wheel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •