Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Organiser's ethics

  1. #1

    Default Organiser's ethics

    Pertaining to this thread.

    Two issues here.
    1) Organiser did not ask my permission on the usage of the photo. He merely and conveniently give credits to me by posting a caption below the photo.

    2) Organiser leeched the photo and put into a flickr account which i assume is his and then use the photo commercially.

    Now, this is frustrating. The organiser didn't have the basic courtesy to ask me for permission. And i have checked with the model, she said the organiser only tell her that he will "copy and paste" the photo to organise the shoot. No permission asked also. Giving credits is not the same as asking for permission.

    Am i right to say that because my photo is used, and the organiser is earning income, i'm also going to get a cut of it, because my photos were used without permission?

    Thanks god. Right now i'm only seeing this guy is the only guy who does such an unethical act. I hope that the other organisers at least seek permission from the photographer or the model.

    What u guys think?
    Last edited by silver.wolf; 23rd May 2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

  2. #2

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    accreditation and permission is not the same thing...

    though the photographer is credited, but i guess organizers still have to take note of getting permissions from the photographer to use the photos in organizing shoots.
    Last edited by Witness; 23rd May 2007 at 02:05 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Well.... I would better give comment after i heard the other side story..

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    i feel org is wrong and should explain
    and cease and desist

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    We, the Citizens of Singapore
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    ur works good wat.. den ppl wan to leech
    at least ppl 'give credits' to you for the photo. no one giv credits to me for the makeup lor!
    haizz... mua pai mia

    but then still, basic courtesy to ask for permission.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf View Post
    Pertaining to this thread.

    Two issues here.
    1) Organiser did not ask my permission on the usage of the photo. He merely and conveniently give credits to me by posting a caption below the photo.

    2) Organiser leeched the photo and put into a flickr account which i assume is his and then use the photo commercially.

    Now, this is frustrating. The organiser didn't have the basic courtesy to ask me for permission. And i have checked with the model, she said the organiser only tell her that he will "copy and paste" the photo to organise the shoot. No permission asked also. Giving credits is not the same as asking for permission.

    Am i right to say that because my photo is used, and the organiser is earning income, i'm also going to get a cut of it, because my photos were used without permission?

    Thanks god. Right now i'm only seeing this guy is the only guy who does such an unethical act. I hope that the other organisers at least seek permission from the photographer or the model.

    What u guys think?
    simple, 2 solutions i will adopt if i am you

    1) ask for a fee paid to you for using your photos.

    2) call up a lawyer and form a case against that organiser who refuse to pay or remove the photo.

    3) sign up for the shoot or asked your fren to sign up, get to know where is the location of that shoot and confront the person face to face on the spot (bring some guys or tools along if needed). Tat's when things are going to get ugly.

    Last edited by raincool2005; 23rd May 2007 at 02:09 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    We, the Citizens of Singapore
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    3) sign up for the shoot or asked your fren to sign up, get to know where is the location of that shoot and confront the person face to face on the spot (bring some guys or tools along if needed).

    wah gangsterism!!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesmun18 View Post
    Well.... I would better give comment after i heard the other side story..
    of cos it's only fair to hear what the organiser got to say. but still it's a fact that he didn't ask for my permission.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

  9. #9

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    simple, 2 solutions i will adopt if i am you

    1) ask for a fee paid to you for using your photos.

    2) call up a lawyer and form a case against that organiser who refuse to pay or remove the photo.

    3) sign up for the shoot or asked your fren to sign up, get to know where is the location of that shoot and confront the person face to face on the spot (bring some guys or tools along if needed). Tat's when things are going to get ugly.

    wahh ... sounds serious leh.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

  10. #10

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf View Post
    of cos it's only fair to hear what the organiser got to say. but still it's a fact that he didn't ask for my permission.
    Yes, using your work without asking permission is definately no-no . you have a strong point here.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by silver.wolf View Post
    wahh ... sounds serious leh.
    of cos it is serious... your profession is at risk under such unethical acts.

    And... option 3 is always the last and least to be considered.


  12. #12

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Without proper consent/permission, black & white from the photographer/ model affected, seems like the organiser would be liable for and any claims of damages as a consequence of such unauthorized usage of images.

    Photography is a profession that is to be respected as the same as other professions. In the commerical world, law suits would fly and I dun see why it does not apply to photography.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Seek compensation!

    This is the only way to make sure photographer's rights are upheld.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by cindy33 View Post
    wah gangsterism!!
    no lah... i didn't mean to beat that organiser up.. We are photographers ! professionals.. we dun beat people. We just take pictures of that organiser and post it 3 times a week with a title " This organiser steal my photos without my permission ! "

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    We, the Citizens of Singapore
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    no lah... i didn't mean to beat that organiser up.. We are photographers ! professionals.. we dun beat people. We just take pictures of that organiser and post it 3 times a week with a title " This organiser steal my photos without my permission ! "
    mental torture!! i think the organiser wld hav preferred u use gansterism method instead

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,218

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Why not just PM the organizer and ask for an explanation?
    IMHO this will solve your problem faster...
    Just me...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap View Post
    Why not just PM the organizer and ask for an explanation?
    IMHO this will solve your problem faster...
    I feel this need to be settle pubicly.

    And asking for permission at this stage is just too late.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by cindy33 View Post
    mental torture!! i think the organiser wld hav preferred u use gansterism method instead
    no lah.. cannot ! we are photographers, not gangsters... we are educated people with a decent hobby or skill trade.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    We, the Citizens of Singapore
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I feel this need to be settle pubicly.

    And asking for permission at this stage is just too late.

    yea correct. and i believe silver.wolf wana create an awareness on this issue, not juz target at this particular organiser.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Organiser's ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap View Post
    Why not just PM the organizer and ask for an explanation?
    IMHO this will solve your problem faster...
    agree with dp.

    awareness has to bring across to the public.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •