Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Yeah I think this requires new blood, newbies who can see something new or ask an old qn in a new way... the rest of us are jaded old geeks usually perching around the Kopitiam...

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    The key thing would be to actually initiate photography topics for discussion rather than complain about it. If one can't think of anything, then there isn't a valid cause for complaint about lack of discussion.

This thread has been here since yesterday and despite the calls for "improvement" I don't see the main advocates posting new shots for critique or participating in detailed photographic discussions or any market change in the forum character.

Also, it would be good to exercise a little tolerance for other interests, to do otherwise and brand others as somewhat inferior is akin to being elitist or somewhat fascist.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Default Re: Re: COnclusion

Originally posted by togu
    You can't, I already started, just a few posts before you.
    hoh sorrrry....let me begin again??? hahahhaa....

anyway back to topic, its really up to individuals lah....

some get satisfaction of hearing the "WAH!!!" you using PRO Equipments while some get satisfaction of hearing "WAH!" YOu have GREAT POTOS!!!

Hahhaha...so it depends which catogory you are in...

of course there are many other types of catorgories lah....
    if I dont state the above sentence...I will gana left rite centre again...hahhahhahaa

newuser
    Guests

Originally posted by Ninja
    Everyone are into collecting something. Be it cameras, bicycles, stamps, phonecards, Lou Han fish, Barbie Dolls, Hi Fi or Hot Chicks
    IMHO, as long the fever is at sensible, sane level, there's nothing to worried or shout about.

A Forum is bit like a virtual coffeeshop where we come to hang out to meet like-minded people. If majority voices are into equipment talk, let it be. If majority voices are into banal boliao talk, let it be too. As long as the majority won't repel the minority
    Agreed.

Just like I never understand why my friend won't spend a dime to upgrade his Pentium 2 300mhz PC with a 15" CRT (He says: What ever for?) but will spend $300+ each on those toy figurines, like Gundam, a model of a SWAT member or F-18 pilot...etc. His collection is said to have cost him > $6000 and is growing.

Some kids in hardwarezone boast they spend $3000+ on their new systems featuring the best gfx cards and fastest processor with the meanest coolers and casing. and they claim to upgrade it every 6 months.
    And the primary purpose of this mean machine???
    To play Counter Strike...etc, to get more fps over the other LAN users, to reduce slag to gain more kills.

An expensive gaming machine.
    I would rather get a Xbox or PS2 for a few hundreds and you need not upgrade for years.

A good equipment does provide an edge over the "not so good" equipment, just like in the movies where swordsman will fight each other to get the Dragon Sabre and Heaven Sword.
    The best racing car racer won't win the first prize on a Suzuki Swift.

Similarly pass the "heaven sword" to a rookie and he will use it no more than a sharp knife to cut up chickens and chop firewood.

Default Re: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Originally posted by crazypaladin
    Can say I am quite disappointed with most Clubsnappers in this forum. The release of 10D has seen a lot of people devaluing D60 and a mad rush to get 10D. Some even upgrade for hope that the 10D can somehow overnight improve their photography skill.

Photography is all about skills and never about equipment. Equipment should never dictate the art of photography. But the majority of Singaporeans photographers are actually hardware collectors. The pictures they posed with their so called good cameras are simply so-so. Yet they felt so pleased with their purchase of a new release equipment...

I am no sour grape here... but we are all here to learn photography ain't we? Yet we are seeing people selling their camera off in a mad rush to get the new 10D... what's wrong with these photographers?

Where are all the good photographers? Can we have a day where everyone talks about composition, how to take good photos etc and not about equipment? Can we?
    this is one of the reason why i dun like to join photography clubs for outting shoot-out..........most of them will compare their equipments rather than how to shoot good photos.....me still like to just go photo shooting with my wife and kids or with 1 or 2 of my photography kakis.

Default Re: Re: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Originally posted by jesser
    this is one of the reason why i dun like to join photography clubs for outting shoot-out..........most of them will compare their equipments rather than how to shoot good photos.....me still like to just go photo shooting with my wife and kids or with 1 or 2 of my photography kakis.
    Good point there...

Originally posted by YSLee
    Either I missed the sacrasm, or you unintentionally pointed out that wankerism is universal. Somehow somewhere material wealth has become rather important.
    Please teach an old dog some new tricks.

When you say 'wankerism', do you mean it literally i.e. stupidity or do you mean it in another context.

Sehsuan:
    Yar lor... also biking siao. But very suay to be interested in 3 expensive hobbies. Cycling+photography+computers=BROKE!

The last time I did a major upgrade to one of my bikes was in 1998. Ever since then, my bikes have still been running smoothly, just need to do occasional simple maintenance & once a year overhauls. Let the kids buy expensive downhill full-sus bikes, XTR, hydraulic disc brakes...bikes & parts which will never go off-road, & keep the bike shops alive.

Stay quite near u... can go n ride one day...

Originally posted by Ninja
    Everyone are into collecting something. Be it cameras, bicycles, stamps, phonecards, Lou Han fish, Barbie Dolls, Hi Fi or Hot Chicks
    IMHO, as long the fever is at sensible, sane level, there's nothing to worried or shout about.

A Forum is bit like a virtual coffeeshop where we come to hang out to meet like-minded people. If majority voices are into equipment talk, let it be. If majority voices are into banal boliao talk, let it be too. As long as the majority won't repel the minority
    Yeah, the crazy audiophiles are the same. They spend tens of thousands of dollars on amps, cd players, cables(!!), speakers, etc. And listen to what, only 3 CDs?

This class of audiophiles don't listen to music. They listen to equipment. Every week, the listen to how a new cable sounds like, how a new CD player sound like, etc. It's all about the equipment, not the music.

Then of coz, there's the other group who places more emphasis on the music than the playback equipment, and this group might have different versions of the same song played by different people. They know what good music is, etc. Some can even play music.

Finally of coz, there're those who is a combination, who wants the absolute best hifi and the best music performance they can get.

Photography is so similar.

Regards
    CK

Well........its their $$$, its up to them to decide on what to spend on. We are not bringing our $$$ into the grave anyway. Some spend on hifi, photography gear, cars, clothes, gadgets etc. Life is short, spend hard!!!enjoy!

Ultimately, be happy and remember to set aside some $$$ for the rainy days.

Cheers.

CK I agree with you.

Yes the intention is to focus on photography, getting the right composition, right moment; on being able to appreciate the fact that the winds are on the left and the bass is located in the far right etc; We all have interests and if possible we also want to be able to get the most out of the equipment we own...then there will always be the issue of knowing that there is something out there that may be better at providing you what you want.

New photographic equipment (possibly due to digital...it's now going down the road of constant renewal), New audiophile equipment etc

There will be those who know what they want, and know what equipment they need to achieve that....likely to be the 'pro' lenses/body etc

Deregistered

sometimes, i observe myself and my findings is that i would try to get the items which are meant to be meant for Professionals if i can afford it. hmm... like my matrox millennium g400 max... it *was* professional *then*....

some other shooters may also wish to acquire the professional's equipment, so that we may have leeway to improve (or a way to explain) for our crappy shooting...

Remember:

If you get the latest and greatest, and still cannot produce good pictures, people will sneer.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    Yeah, the crazy audiophiles are the same. They spend tens of thousands of dollars on amps, cd players, cables(!!), speakers, etc. And listen to what, only 3 CDs?

This class of audiophiles don't listen to music. They listen to equipment. Every week, the listen to how a new cable sounds like, how a new CD player sound like, etc. It's all about the equipment, not the music.

Then of coz, there's the other group who places more emphasis on the music than the playback equipment, and this group might have different versions of the same song played by different people. They know what good music is, etc. Some can even play music.

Finally of coz, there're those who is a combination, who wants the absolute best hifi and the best music performance they can get.

Photography is so similar.

Regards
    CK
    Hear Hear!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

I have to agree with Freed or Daredevil here.
    I'm quite a new member here, but I've been to almost every topic group there is on the forum.

One thing I realise is that with so many of the current members being on a digital camera, how come the critique thread as well as the other photo galleries are so lacking in contribution? Sure there are quite a number of pictures there, but it's always by the same few contributor. Isn't one of the advantages of digital photography is that it can be easily transported to the computer?

Originally posted by Prismatic
    I'm quite a new member here, but I've been to almost every topic group there is on the forum.

One thing I realise is that with so many of the current members being on a digital camera, how come the critique thread as well as the other photo galleries are so lacking in contribution? Sure there are quite a number of pictures there, but it's always by the same few contributor. Isn't one of the advantages of digital photography is that it can be easily transported to the computer?

Default erm...excuse me...

erm...excuse me......the word 'equipment' is already in plural form.....no need for the 's' at the end of it.

Deregistered

Default Re: erm...excuse me...

Originally posted by swimcraze
    erm...excuse me......the word 'equipment' is already in plural form.....no need for the 's' at the end of it.
    and softwares, and hardwares, and irregardless...

swimcraze

Originally posted by Prismatic

I dunnoe wether if it's applicable to others. For myself, it's cuz I couldn't find a free (hot-linked?) online host for my photos. Therefore stopped posting pics here...still waiting for CS to open another offer to host pics.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Originally posted by CYRN
    I dunnoe wether if it's applicable to others. For myself, it's cuz I couldn't find a free (hot-linked?) online host for my photos. Therefore stopped posting pics here...still waiting for CS to open another offer to host pics.
    I host my pics in Photo.net, one of the original photo web site on the net. Until it runs into financial troubles (which it almost did) it is FREE!

One thing that equipment discussion is always the norm is because it is more COMFORTABLE topic. Discussing about someones' photos is like discussing about someone's wife, sensitive at times. If you visit Photo.net and check out their Photo of the Week discussions, most of the time it leads to heated quarrels on the net, not a good sight. Postings are sometimes like this:

XXX : Your subject matter had been approached many times before...

YYY: I checked your portfolio, you ain't any more original....

Especially with our Asian mindset, criticism of one's work might get too personal and hence, many would avoid it.

We probably can have discussions about Photography works of famous photographers but the discussion may be restricted to the "Arts" type of people. When I mean "Arts" type, I mean the kind of people that not only knows the photography, but also can articulate their thoughts well (and many non-arts type may find them talking nonsense). Most of us are good photographers and can appreciate good photographs, but few of us can say what we like so much about them in a proper manner besides "Wah, nice" or "Wah, solid composition". And the occasional "the negative space to the right had balanced off the leading diagonal lines lending to an air of...." will be met with wide eyes.

That said, I really agree very much with "CrazyPaladin" that many photographers are technophiles. We just need to realise it and be aware of it so that we don't concentrate too much on the tech side of it. Read (or see) a good published album now and again, that would help much. Buy a book instead of another piece of "white elephant", that help push the art part of photography more.

I apologise if my post is too long.

hmmm interesting topic... ok, so i'm here reading this instead of posting up some of the photos that i have taken and just got them developed. well, equipment talk aside, why i'm reading this and replying? coz its interesting and definitely much easier than racking my brains to criticise someone photo ( and also on the process get flamed for talking rubbish abt it!) and definitely easier than scanning my new photos in and uploading them etc....morale of the story? it takes a lot more effort sometimes to critic and post and we are all here for a love of photography and that encompasses many different forms and at times, we just not in the mood for somethings but still want to be here and share something, hence some banal thread.

involved in trying to set up a forum for some youths and one of the problems we faced was trying to keep the discussion revelent to the objective of the forum and in the end, had to give way instead and be contented that the youths are coming and posting "crap" is better than nothing and hope that thru that load of "crap", there are some gems.

guess all of us here love photography and its comes in different forms....let it be and i believe that every discussion helps in everyway however trivial.

ok.. just a newbies comments, no offence and also a request for those more "zai" pple to help answer some of our queries and provide feedback for the photos. shall try post more barring my 56 kps dialup connection that runs at 48kps at best and me total lack of techno knowledge? upload? crop? photoshop? similan? dunno how.... trying to learn

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast