Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Originally posted by crazypaladin
    I rest my case. I was hoping that someone would support my point of view. Photography is about skills and more but over here, I observed that quite a number are more concern with equipment than anything else. Did I strike where it hurts more or am I sprouting nonsense? It's for you to decide.
    I think you are doing the latter.

Your question is akin to asking doctors why they use a cross or mont blanc pen when they should improve on their handwriting (generalisation of doctor's illegible handwriting) OR those aunties who drive their quarter million dollar mercedes benz or bmw to learn to check their blind spot or at least check the side or rear view mirrors when they change lanes while driving (again another generalisation of how aunties always cut into your lane at the very last moment).

It would probably not end. We can talk about property (I live in the 56th floor with the birds, you stay on the ground floor with the rats) , electrical gadgets (LCD vs CRT, but can see can oredi right?), the way you style your hair (face kenna sai, wat's the difference?) etc etc etc

Definitely nonsense.

Deregistered

Originally posted by tomshen
    If I dun have a DSLR, I will die for it, just like I died for my d60 last years.
    same here, tom. but how many times did you "die" for your D60?

crazypaladin, i'm also one of those caught in the mad rush for the 10D. but from my other hobby, cycling, there are folks who spend like $3K and up (to probably 7, 8k?) on a wonderful, world-name, professional racing team quality bicycle, but can't cycle for their life. but we can't do much other than to be upset, right? i mean, it's *their* money, not ours. so, take life easy bro.

p.s. and i'm a newbie tandy user now...

Originally posted by Darren
    *snip*

With particular reference to the 10D rush (and the correlating increase in sellers of D30/D60), my personal view is that digital cameras are now becoming "throw-away" items, much like the PC where a new processor, motherboard or graphic card necessitates an upgrade of the existing system. And, truth be told, new digital cams do provide increasing capabilities which, in turn, can help someone make better pictures.
    sigh, that sadly holds true. these new electronic toys are no more than new... well, electronic toys that happen to be cameras.

a recent post of mine asking for underwater photography ethics got some people a little defensive - some insist, "take pictures, leave only bubbles", while some wouldn't think too much of physically touching sealife... totally different viewpoints with their own correct points...

finkster, you into cycling too ar?
    Last edited by sehsuan; 27th March 2003 at 05:01 AM.

Lets be true to ourselves...Most of us photographers are tend to be "technophile". New gadget will continue to fascinate us, just like PC & PDA...

As we know, newer & more expensive camera wont guarantee u great pics, but it will give u all the convenience & higher chances of getting great pics...Some ppl don't need this convenience but instead rely on their years of experience & skills. On the other hand, some new amateurs may not have years of experience before them, therefore they may chose to invest on da tools tat enable them to learn photography on a different approach, AF instead of MF, Digital instead of Film/Slides & others...

No deny here, photography is an art of seeing & taking good picture rather than an art of collecting equipments...
    But in our forum here, we hav all sorts of ppl, from true artists (do they really exist?), hobbists, amateurs, professionals to equipment collectors...

If someone is caught in da mad rush for new toy or 10D, as a matter of fact, then so be it...It may be part of their hobby besides taking pictures.
    In da end of da day it is up to da individual him/herself to decide whats best for them...

My 2c worth...
    Last edited by henavs; 27th March 2003 at 11:30 AM.

Originally posted by sehsuan
    crazypaladin, i'm also one of those caught in the mad rush for the 10D. but from my other hobby, cycling, there are folks who spend like $3K and up (to probably 7, 8k?) on a wonderful, world-name, professional racing team quality bicycle, but can't cycle for their life. but we can't do much other than to be upset, right? i mean, it's *their* money, not ours. so, take life easy bro.
    What I like is to cycle up to these on my cheapo Giant Iguana in my slippers (and no helmet - that really gets their goat), chat a while, then pull away without even breathing heavily...

But then you seldom find them cycling on the road in the first place. More likely sitting around at a coffesshop admiring the bikes while drinking coffee or beer.

Originally posted by zhoufang
    What's wrong being a camera gear collector?
    I like to play with the greatest and latest gears.
    I can afford it and by doing so I feel good.
    The only place that I shoot is in my room where I click, click, click and get high when hear the shutter sound.

So what's the problem.

The only kind of person whom I think is problematic are those who wish to have gears which they cannot afford AND are not happy with those who have these gears.
    There is sadly some truth in this. I don't ever hear people like mylau and Simon complaining about equipment measurbators. They're too busy measurbating, er, I mean playing with their toys, er, I mean... never mind.

Originally posted by zhoufang
    What's wrong being a camera gear collector?
    I like to play with the greatest and latest gears.
    I can afford it and by doing so I feel good.
    The only place that I shoot is in my room where I click, click, click and get high when hear the shutter sound.

So what's the problem.

The only kind of person whom I think is problematic are those who wish to have gears which they cannot afford AND are not happy with those who have these gears.
    Bingo!

To quote you and to further said what I what :-

.. The only kind of person whom I think is problematic are those who wish to have gears which they cannot afford AND are not happy with those who have these gears, and starts to peach to everyone on not being too materialised ..

I'm real sick of hearing comments from people peaching about "skills that counts, not the equipment". Sigh.

For all losers out there, go get a life lah...

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    ... More likely sitting around at a coffesshop admiring the bikes while drinking coffee or beer...
    Perhaps they were afraid of making their beautiful bikes dirty?.. Afterall they probably spend a leg and a limb just for these "babies"..?

Sadly, I notice this problem is quite bad in Asia, especially Singapore. Lots of people buy these expensive stuffs but didn't use the equipments to their limits. For example, my uncle bought a series 7 BMW but never ventured it out of Singapore. He never drove his BMW up to Malaysia, saying "Wait spoilt, how?". I can easily quote examples of my S'pore peers buying expensive cameras, but never dared to use it overseas saying "Wait gotta stolen, how?"... Sigh..

Originally posted by e_liau
    Bingo!

To quote you and to further said what I what :-

.. The only kind of person whom I think is problematic are those who wish to have gears which they cannot afford AND are not happy with those who have these gears, and starts to peach to everyone on not being too materialised ..

I'm real sick of hearing comments from people peaching about "skills that counts, not the equipment". Sigh.

For all losers out there, go get a life lah...
    Tat's a bit harsh, e_liau...
    Lets not get in conclusion that these ppl are envy tat they slam those with new equipment...

we work everyday to earn our monthly salary....day in day out we slog...some of us have it easy...some of us dun.....some like to spend it all ...some like to save it all....

some of us buy cameras to take good photos to earn money....some of us buy them to de-stress and distract themselves from daily punishing hard work (hobby)....some like to put their collector's camera at home and stare at it.....

some take pleasure in buying the latest cameras ...some people take pleasure in taking the best photos using what ever they equipment they have....

Just respect that there are some many different kinds of people in this world with different views of things...

Just be contented and happy....and respect that other people have their rights to be contented and happy too....

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    There is sadly some truth in this. I don't ever hear people like mylau and Simon complaining about equipment measurbators. They're too busy measurbating, er, I mean playing with their toys, er, I mean... never mind.
    So true...

Originally posted by Buzz
    we work everyday to earn our monthly salary....day in day out we slog...some of us have it easy...some of us dun.....some like to spend it all ...some like to save it all....

some of us buy cameras to take good photos to earn money....some of us buy them to de-stress and distract themselves from daily punishing hard work (hobby)....some like to put their collector's camera at home and stare at it.....

some take pleasure in buying the latest cameras ...some people take pleasure in taking the best photos using what ever they equipment they have....

Just respect that there are some many different kinds of people in this world with different views of things...

Just be contented and happy....and respect that other people have their rights to be contented and happy too....
    Another good points, Buzz

Originally posted by e_liau
    I can easily quote examples of my S'pore peers buying expensive cameras, but never dared to use it overseas saying "Wait gotta stolen, how?"... Sigh..
    But true wat - stolen how? Hehehe - I still haven't decided

IMHO, it is difficult to deny the association of equipment and picture taking. How many times have u wish that your camera, or other gear for that matter, has a certain function that will assist you to get that great picture that you have visualized. Ah...I wish my camera will focus faster, I wish I have a longer lens, I wish my camera has a better metering system for that tricky situation. Maybe we are too dependent on the gears to help us capture the perfect moment? Photographers who uses the least equipment and produces the best picture always earn my respect. It just shows that they have break through the equipment barrier and make full use of whatever they have. For example, anyone has tried photographing birds in flight using manual focus prime lenses with a contrasty backgroung that will fool any metering system? I take my hats off to those who can. Just my 2 cents worth.

Originally posted by Parchiao
    I think you are doing the latter.

Your question is akin to asking doctors why they use a cross or mont blanc pen when they should improve on their handwriting (generalisation of doctor's illegible handwriting) OR those aunties who drive their quarter million dollar mercedes benz or bmw to learn to check their blind spot or at least check the side or rear view mirrors when they change lanes while driving (again another generalisation of how aunties always cut into your lane at the very last moment).

It would probably not end. We can talk about property (I live in the 56th floor with the birds, you stay on the ground floor with the rats) , electrical gadgets (LCD vs CRT, but can see can oredi right?), the way you style your hair (face kenna sai, wat's the difference?) etc etc etc

Definitely nonsense.
    Either I missed the sacrasm, or you unintentionally pointed out that wankerism is universal. Somehow somewhere material wealth has become rather important.

Speaking of aunties, I'll never forget the pink 911 (964) Turbo driven by an auntie which was overtaken on an expressway by a Toyota Corona diesel cab (and I was finding the cab going too slow).

Default COnclusion

I have created this poll before but then i have learned my lesson as different people has different point of views....( a very bad experience for me) ...you cant control how poeple spend their$$$..just like some agree with the current war while some not....

end of the day, equipments do help potographers during poto sessions....like faster forcusing, better metering but again does not help in composition....that goes down to individuals.....

so what are we waiting for, lets stop this discussion and go out there, use whatever you have , pinhole camera also can,,,,take more potos and post them here.....

let me begin ....http://matthewscl.norulez.com

cheers and enjoy your day ahead.....

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    But true wat - stolen how? Hehehe - I still haven't decided
    Buy insurance.

Default Re: COnclusion

Originally posted by MatthewSCL

let me begin ....http://matthewscl.norulez.com

You can't, I already started, just a few posts before you.

daredevil
    Guests

Originally posted by Buzz

I am not againsts any kinds of people in this world but for the sake of this forum (look at dpreview forum on what it has becomed), lets talk more about photography not equipments.

Originally posted by daredevil
    I am not againsts any kinds of people in this world but for the sake of this forum (look at dpreview forum on what it has becomed), lets talk more about photography not equipments.
    The key thing would be to actually initiate photography topics for discussion rather than complain about it. If one can't think of anything, then there isn't a valid cause for complaint about lack of discussion.

This thread has been here since yesterday and despite the calls for "improvement" I don't see the main advocates posting new shots for critique or participating in detailed photographic discussions or any market change in the forum character.

Also, it would be good to exercise a little tolerance for other interests, to do otherwise and brand others as somewhat inferior is akin to being elitist or somewhat fascist.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast