Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Originally posted by crazypaladin
    But back to my point:

Should ClubSnap be another dpreview website where we talk about nothing but hardware???? Or should it be a unique place where we learn how to take photos?

Most of the time, I noticed that people dun put much time into the critism of photos... there is hardly any learning here though once in a while, good discussions surfaces... but then this is what this forum is for, to learn from one another and to improve our photography skills!

Blog Entries

Should ClubSnap be another dpreview website where we talk about nothing but hardware???? Or should it be a unique place where we learn how to take photos?

Most of the time, I noticed that people dun put much time into the critism of photos... there is hardly any learning here though once in a while, good discussions surfaces... but then this is what this forum is for, to learn from one another and to improve our photography skills!
    Good points and counterpoints aired here ... well, ClubSNAP is all about sharing ... and if all a member has to share is his knowledge or experience with his/her equipment, so be it.

By starting with what they know, and hopefully, with the guidance of "lao-chiaos", members will be able to elevate their photographic skills to higher planes.

The Critique Corner and Member's Portfolio are particular sections where we try to encourage members to display and then to critique. Please understand that this requires the effort of all members, not just the mods or a few active critics. Members shouldn't feel afraid or shy to voice their opinions or views (although having said that, the way the opinion or view is expressed is also important so as not to have any misunderstanding), being a newbie does not necessarily mean that your eye is not able to discern good art/photography, in fact, a new perspective may be injected.

So, like what some others have already intimated, members should participate more in the Critique sections, instead of debating here

With particular reference to the 10D rush (and the correlating increase in sellers of D30/D60), my personal view is that digital cameras are now becoming "throw-away" items, much like the PC where a new processor, motherboard or graphic card necessitates an upgrade of the existing system. And, truth be told, new digital cams do provide increasing capabilities which, in turn, can help someone make better pictures.

Default Re: Re: Re: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Maybe I could be over-generalizing. But isn't it too coincidental that the release of 10D has resulted in many sudden sale of D60 at much much below market price??
    Consider it "market ecology". The ex-D60 owners get to play with the latest toys, the upgraders get their hands on cheap D60's, the younger brother or sister inherits the G2 or G3 or Fuji S602Z. What comes around, comes around. You defecate, it goes into the ground to nourish the plants, the cows eat the plants (and sometimes you do, too), you eat the cow. Everybody's happy. Right?

But back to my point:

Let me put it in another way.

Extreme views in either direction isn't healthy.

You can never totally disassociate the equipment from photography techniques.

Equipment discussions do have a role to play in helping members make better use of their equipment, learn hidden features and guide newbies/upgraders as to their choices.

Reflect upon yourself several months ago, you went around asking for digicam opinions prior to your 5700 purchase. What would you feel then if everyone you encountered just told you that equipment discussions are pointless, just buy any camera and start shooting? You could have been initiated into photography the hard way.....learning from a bad purchase.

The reason why you bitch about tech discussions now is because it doesn't relate to your needs currently. But you can't deny that it has aided you sometime in the past and may be of use in the distant future.

As I've mentioned previously, if anyone wants photography discussions, he should take the initiative to start them, not wait for others to do so. It's up to one's self to make things happen.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Photographer or Hardware-Collector?

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    You defecate, it goes into the ground to nourish the plants, the cows eat the plants (and sometimes you do, too), you eat the cow. Everybody's happy. Right?

You defecate, it goes into the ground to nourish the plants, the cows eat the plants (and sometimes you do, too), you eat the cow. Everybody's happy. Right?
    That's a really crude way of expressing yourself

Ask not what the forum can do for you, but what you can do for the forum.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    How a forum turns out depends on the composition of its members.

You may attempt to steer or provoke discussion but whether it appeals to your personal tastes is another matter.

No single individual can possibly dictate what it should or should not be. Why be so particular about things? Just join the discussions you deem worthy and ignore the tech stuff. Everyone can have their own favourite corner in the forum....
    pretty much sums up what i feel ...

by making strong comments to pple who upgraded would be seen as a flaming comment....

I mean...to this pple this upgrade would have been a way of aiding their chances of getting shots ...so to them its worth every penny...

And with such good pricing...trying to think from a typical singaporean...
    i think its normal although it may seem to some as not important issues....

One mans meat is anothers poison...so what maybe important to you may not be to others....

just live with it loh...its not like much can be done to it anyway...

Blog Entries

Give the man a Tiger or a CF card or a 10D!

The question crazypaladin is trying to make, I think, is the mentality of some people who feel that they have to continually upgrade their photography equipment just for the sake of using the latest and/or best equipment. In this aspect, I agree wholeheartedly with him. It's just like teenagers who always want the newest handphones to show off to their peers, or just being able to claim the right of 'I'm using the latest phone, so it's better than yours.' kind of thing.

As an ardent cyclist as well, the upgrade cycle is even crazier than photo gear, trust me. Other cyclists will know what I'm talking about. Last years stuff is considered old, & 2nd hand value of bike parts is at most, 50%, even though u just bought it a week ago. It's madness to 'keep up to date'.

But as for D60 users wishing to sell it off to get a 10D, their reasons may be valid, like the AF speed, low-light ability, noise & such. If they feel their D60 is not performing as well as they like, it's also their perogative to sell & buy as they wish. I'm sure they have considered carefully, and did not buy in haste.

As for myself, I'm intensely interested in the 10D and the D100, as it is my first SLR purchase.

Fact is, good equipment is a very major factor in being able to take good photos. Problem is, different people have different ideas of how good is good enough? So let us let it be... amen!.

LOL...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

daredevil
    Guests

But back to my point:

i used to love dpreview forum until all these equipment measubators rule over it.
    i used to see great pictures posted there and now i see much more crap pictures taken from newest cameras.

IMHO clubsnap seems to be facing the same problem or walking towards the same direction.
    let's not let this happen, ppl.
    i believe there are still many great photographers here and we still can talk about photography stuff instead.

make love not war.

Too much equipment talk?

Time to buck the 'trend'; so anyone has any pictures to show? Your recent works from JBP, Zoo, street, candid...

I hate to admit it.. but need to agree..

Just do a "search new".

80% of the thread that pop up is in equipment.

Allow me to start the trend, please visit my personal gallery at pbase.

http://www.pbase.com/togu

Do feel free to leave me some words, comments, feedbacks, guestbook, they'll definitely be a great asset to my learning curve.

Thanks.

Consider it "market ecology". The ex-D60 owners get to play with the latest toys, the upgraders get their hands on cheap D60's, the younger brother or sister inherits the G2 or G3 or Fuji S602Z. What comes around, comes around. You defecate, it goes into the ground to nourish the plants, the cows eat the plants (and sometimes you do, too), you eat the cow. Everybody's happy. Right?
    precise precise Eventually more pix will be coming, dish or rubbish...

Buy. Buy. Sell. Sell. To each his own. Got my D60 last year. Doesn't make me a pro. I still suck. Waiting for a camera that can take pictures of what I imagine...

I rest my case. I was hoping that someone would support my point of view.
    You're a minority here, what'd you expect?

Did I strike where it hurts more or am I sprouting nonsense?
    Probably the former.

Well, then you could take a proactive step and encourage discussion instead!
    Sad to say, in here, that is akin to bashing one's head on the wall.

Ninja makes a good point, the way it's headed, there's not much that can be done.

finkster: Tell me about it.. Scott Expert Racing '01 model with new Deore/LX/XT parts for ~$500.. if I was better at biking and wasn't so broke..

Personally I do find the discussion of photography as an art or the technical aspects rather lacking.

More pictures should be posted ideally, more comments and pointers should be exchanged, be it, composition, lighting, or even technical aspects on how the photographs should be taken.

Of course all the equipment talk is necessary. It keeps us up to date with the market and technology.

I came to this forum and have more exposure to different equipments which actually make better my knowledge of photography equipments.

But as I mentioned, I find discussion on photography lacking.
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

What's wrong being a camera gear collector?
    I like to play with the greatest and latest gears.
    I can afford it and by doing so I feel good.
    The only place that I shoot is in my room where I click, click, click and get high when hear the shutter sound.

So what's the problem.

The only kind of person whom I think is problematic are those who wish to have gears which they cannot afford AND are not happy with those who have these gears.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast