Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The Hanging Teapot

  1. #1
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default The Hanging Teapot

    Whilst walking in the market place in Phnom Penh, I was attracted to this teapot hanging there amidst a host of other curios. The light that fell on it just happened to give it a certain attraction and glow. (1/20s f/5.6 at 94.0mm iso800 )

    1. Is the exposure here correct to give it the desired effect?

    2. Does the other things in the periphery distract?

    3. Any other comments, please?

    Tks

    Last edited by eng_keow; 22nd May 2007 at 04:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Hello ppl,

    70 views and still not even an answer to any of the questions?


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Give people some time to think about it first ... ?

    Better to have no comments than banal comments. Heh.

    Anyway from me: I like the way you captured the details and the lighting on the pot. It does give it the aged look and a somewhat mysterious feel.. making me wonder about the origins of the pot.

    Yes, I do find the other hanging things a little distracting.

    I also like the out of focus areas in the background. It adds to the feel of the whole photo.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    1. The effect I perceive is of an oriental antique piece though I may not think it's a teapot because of the unusual shape. It has a well used look.

    2. The other hanging objects are fine and seem to complement the main subject. But I found the stuff (cloths?) below distracting because am wondering what they are. There's also an illusion the teapot is resting on those cloth rather than hanging.

    3. The composition seems a bit off balance because the main subject is bottom "heavy". Are there closer proximity photos to compare because the details of the teapot seem interesting on its own but may not be easy to frame.
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

  5. #5
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Give people some time to think about it first ... ?

    Better to have no comments than banal comments. Heh.

    Anyway from me: I like the way you captured the details and the lighting on the pot. It does give it the aged look and a somewhat mysterious feel.. making me wonder about the origins of the pot.

    Yes, I do find the other hanging things a little distracting.

    I also like the out of focus areas in the background. It adds to the feel of the whole photo.
    Thanks Yatlapball for your kind considerations. I was trying to think of a closer crop to get the other stuff out of the way but when I did that it looks like I am squashing the poor pot.

  6. #6
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    1. The effect I perceive is of an oriental antique piece though I may not think it's a teapot because of the unusual shape. It has a well used look.

    2. The other hanging objects are fine and seem to complement the main subject. But I found the stuff (cloths?) below distracting because am wondering what they are. There's also an illusion the teapot is resting on those cloth rather than hanging.

    3. The composition seems a bit off balance because the main subject is bottom "heavy". Are there closer proximity photos to compare because the details of the teapot seem interesting on its own but may not be easy to frame.

    Thanks centurion_sg. Yup it may not be a teapot. Then what is it??

    Sorry I dont have another view. Juz shoot and go. will take note of what you say when I take something like that.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    actually, its a pretty gd shot. the background gives an impression that this place(antique shop, i presume?) hangs most of their stuff from the ceiling.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow View Post
    1. Is the exposure here correct to give it the desired effect?
    What effect were you going for? The sense of being suspended in the air?

  9. #9
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    What effect were you going for? The sense of being suspended in the air?
    I guess in this pic, the subject should be isolated enough to attract the viewer. Should I darken the bg so that the subject be better isolated. As centurion_sg mentioned, the red cloth thingy below may distract the viewer.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    the isolation by the light is nice but you can still further burn the background.

    The background can also go more OOF but I dunno if your lens can open up further. f2 maybe just nice for further focal isolation in addition to light. When OOF, the background wont distract but gives context instead.

    It is also a lil unbalanced, too much space at the bottom. I guess you cropped away some stuff at the top. So u need to balance by cropping more bottom too.

  11. #11
    Member eng_keow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mt Alvernia Hospital
    Posts
    1,022

    Default Re: The Hanging Teapot

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    the isolation by the light is nice but you can still further burn the background.

    The background can also go more OOF but I dunno if your lens can open up further. f2 maybe just nice for further focal isolation in addition to light. When OOF, the background wont distract but gives context instead.

    It is also a lil unbalanced, too much space at the bottom. I guess you cropped away some stuff at the top. So u need to balance by cropping more bottom too.
    Thanks. Will take note of what is mentioned. Unfortunately can't open to f2 on my lens.

    BTW, I wonder if converting this to B&W will make it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •