Thread: Best way to rotate the picture

Default Best way to rotate the picture

Hi guys,

How do you do batch rotating of 500 photos with different orientation without degrading the quality? I was thinking of using bridge but bridge automatically display portrait photos vertically, but if viewed from explorer, it is still not rotated. Using windows viewer seems to be faster but there's a remark that it may degrade the photo. Was thinking of doing batch rotating from photoshop, but that would require me to filter out the photo first before rotating.

Is there any better method of performing this task?

Default Re: Best way to rotate the picture

Not really... After all, it's difficult for a piece of software to know which way you really want to rotate the photo.

Manually sorting, then running a batch job is the best.

try ACDSEE... you can select all pics then it identifies which should be rotated... i use it alot after a shoot

Quote Originally Posted by plugzone View Post
    try ACDSEE... you can select all pics then it identifies which should be rotated... i use it alot after a shoot
    Ooooooooooooooh good point!! I totally forgot how good ACDSEE is!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not really... After all, it's difficult for a piece of software to know which way you really want to rotate the photo.
    I think some cameras should have the rotation (of the camera) in the EXIF field, since Nikon's DSLRs can auto rotate the images to right way up, whether you tilt the camera CW or CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    I think some cameras should have the rotation (of the camera) in the EXIF field, since Nikon's DSLRs can auto rotate the images to right way up, whether you tilt the camera CW or CCW.
    Correct, but what if you don't want it rotated?

I guess that will be very minimal.

Picasa2 from google can mass select and do rotation too.
    Last edited by mickie; 23rd May 2007 at 01:46 AM.

There should be some software that reads the header to know the orientation and can perform lossless rotation (works on DCT coefficients).

edited:
    Try this, FOC -
    http://www.anryhome.com/software/jpeglosslessrotator/
    Last edited by grantyale; 23rd May 2007 at 01:56 AM.

Oh yeah, in camera, it does auto rotate when viewed from the camera, but not after transferred to PC. Will try out acdsee

Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post
    Oh yeah, in camera, it does auto rotate when viewed from the camera, but not after transferred to PC. Will try out acdsee
    With my D50, the JPEG's EXIF gets marked on whether it was taken in portrait or landscape mode. Using ACDSee to view, the thumbnails show a little icon if a particular JPEG can be rotated or not. Then, by copying the files to another location or resize (can't remember the exact step I used) ACDSee auto-rotated the copied/resized files accordingly.

Generally, I ACDSee

I believe there is a setting call "Image Rotation"... but then that will means all photos will not be rotated automatically.