Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My external HD canot be detected

Default My external HD canot be detected

Can any Mac expert help me out. My external HD cannot be detected by my macbook. It was working fine last week. Only thing i remembered was there was some auto updating on the macbook during this period.

Tried repairing but got this eror message that says Volume cannot be repaired. All my backup in there and some recent photos are not burnt to DVD yet. I tried to connect to my PC but cant detect too.

Hardisk is a Seagate 360 Gb SATA drive.

any suggestion appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: My external HD canot be detected

go hardwarezone try u will get a better response.

what OS for your pc u using, take out the HD and plug direct to you motherboard c how;

got 360GB hd 1 arr ?
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    go hardwarezone try u will get a better response.

what OS for your pc u using, take out the HD and plug direct to you motherboard c how;

got 360GB hd 1 arr ?
    Read his post... It's a Mac.

try borrow a desktop to test.

Account Suspended

Try swapping a casing to test.

Pity yours is a 3.5" else I don't mind meeting you to test, but I only got a 2.5" casing.

Thanks for all the responses. I have the option to reformat the drive but den all my photos will be gone. Most of them have DVD backups but a few sets of recent photo dont but they are not that important. I'm borrowing my niece Window XP laptop to try 1st.

I wish I could just plug into my old PC but it dont have a SATA interface.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Can any Mac expert help me out. My external HD cannot be detected by my macbook. It was working fine last week. Only thing i remembered was there was some auto updating on the macbook during this period.

Tried repairing but got this eror message that says Volume cannot be repaired. All my backup in there and some recent photos are not burnt to DVD yet. I tried to connect to my PC but cant detect too.

Hardisk is a Seagate 360 Gb SATA drive.

any suggestion appreciated. Thanks
    Switch it to non-Mac. Confirm work

Thanks for all the responses. I have the option to reformat the drive but den all my photos will be gone. Most of them have DVD backups but a few sets of recent photo dont but they are not that important. I'm borrowing my niece Window XP laptop to try 1st.

I wish I could just plug into my old PC but it dont have a SATA interface.
    There is a USB IDE/SATA cable (not casing) for just about $25 or so; you could use that to try connecting your SATA HD via the USB to your old PC to look-see.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    There is a USB IDE/SATA cable (not casing) for just about $25 or so; you could use that to try connecting your SATA HD via the USB to your old PC to look-see.
    I just got that from a friend.. wil try out.

My Neice's notebook can detect the USB drive but cant see it at all.. just show new storage device detected.. den missing liao.

Thanks everyone for trying yr best to help me. really have to try all methods before reformating the drive.

I use linux. I remember a friend's external 2.5" hard disk died similarly to yours before. However, with some tweaking I managed to get it back.

If you are going to format it already, why don't you pass it to me and I'll try? No hard promises though.

First of all, some questions:

1) Is your disk formatted as Mac? (HPFS)

2) What is the type of connector from your external disk to your system? (Firewire, USB)

Don't despair!

Account Suspended

Go to Computer Management, does the storage show up in the Disk Management portion?

dont have the details now. i go back and post the message i get from the mac.

I'm using an external casing using USB2 connection. I cannot see the volume at all. even when i plug into a window XP laptop, it only says device found.. den when i go into my computer.. the drive is not there. Actually, the files are not that important but they are records of my learning journey in photography. most of them have DVD backups already.

Really thanks you all for help. My knowledge of computers are very basic.

what did you format the ext hdd as?

anyway..if you dont see the drive in windows, go to administrative tools, computer management, disk management and see if you can see the hdd there.

ok, i get this error message

Disk insertion
    The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer

inutialize ignore eject

on Window, computer management, it says my disk is not initialised. what should i do next?
    Last edited by DeSwitch; 23rd May 2007 at 08:02 PM.

tried the sata cable to USB... also dont work on both mac and PC.

sounds like the master boot record got toasted. go google for mbr repair apps... i would suggest you try those that can retrieve and display the mbr first.

dont have the details now. i go back and post the message i get from the mac.

I'm using an external casing using USB2 connection. I cannot see the volume at all. even when i plug into a window XP laptop, it only says device found.. den when i go into my computer.. the drive is not there. Actually, the files are not that important but they are records of my learning journey in photography. most of them have DVD backups already.

Really thanks you all for help. My knowledge of computers are very basic.
    My guess is that, your external drive is formatted as HFS+ (Mac filesystem). A filesystem format is basically how the files are laid out on the disk. You will not be able to read it in Windows, since Windows only read Windows type filesystem.

Your best bet will be buy the drivers for HFS+ in windows, or to download a Linux Live CD, boot into it and transfer it to another place, perhaps another drive. The second choice is my preferred one, since you no need to spend!

Back up all the files into another hdd or watever
    Reformat using ur disk utility in mac
    format to MS-DOS file system (FAT32)
    then transfer back ur files and u can use it liao

Quote Originally Posted by waipeng View Post
    My guess is that, your external drive is formatted as HFS+ (Mac filesystem). A filesystem format is basically how the files are laid out on the disk. You will not be able to read it in Windows, since Windows only read Windows type filesystem.

Your best bet will be buy the drivers for HFS+ in windows, or to download a Linux Live CD, boot into it and transfer it to another place, perhaps another drive. The second choice is my preferred one, since you no need to spend!
    The Linux boot sounds too chim for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Back up all the files into another hdd or watever
    Reformat using ur disk utility in mac
    format to MS-DOS file system (FAT32)
    then transfer back ur files and u can use it liao
    er... on my mac, i could still see the 2 partitions but they are with a different name from what i had named them before. know my 2nd partition is not important so i reformat it using mac utility with the no erase option.

I could now detect that partition on my mac but its empty inside. Using a trial version of Data rescue, I could detect all the file in the partition but cant restore it becos trial version dont support it.

I then plug the disk into my PC.. the computrer management only detected a whole hard disk with no partitions and it says space unallocated. PC inspector should be able to recover the files but it only work in PC and my PC cant detect my partition. Should i just format it in PC and recover from there.. cant find any Mac version of file recovery (free ones)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast