Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chased by wild dogs!

Default Re: Chased by wild dogs!

Come on.. WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!

btw, used to have similar experience as urs..

was in indonesia many many years ago... I was about 5 or 6 yrs old then... went to a nearby plaground cum open field for daily play time...

ende up being chased by a dog..
    Last edited by rinaldi86; 22nd May 2007 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    nothing. just walk peacefully.

They just try to defend their teritory. It's natural.

And they try to scare you by barking, because that's all they can do.
    They won't attack and bite because they are not the kind of breed that do that naturally.
    If they see that you are not afraid, they will give up, or worst they can do, just keep on barking within 3-5m distance.
    Of cos if a large dog bark at me I won't dare advance. But what if you reall advance forward? They will back away?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Dunno about wild dogs, but my aluminium manfrotto tripod can be used for self defense in almost any situation, man or beast alike.

That said, to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, just fire your speedlite a few times at full power, enough to confuse and scare the dogs away.
    sekali your flash light put in the bottom of the bag and by the time u take out, the dog is already infront of you... then u on it to find that... .............. it took more than 10sec to charge up cos you just finish shooting a bikini shootout... Priceless...

Pricey - the dog lick the hell out of your lens... and bites your CF card and bury it in some of its **** hole...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    sekali your flash light put in the bottom of the bag and by the time u take out, the dog is already infront of you... then u on it to find that... .............. it took more than 10sec to charge up cos you just finish shooting a bikini shootout... Priceless...

Pricey - the dog lick the hell out of your lens... and bites your CF card and bury it in some of its **** hole...
    Then I guess my manfrotto will accidentally do a 360 degree swing as I blur-blur look for my speedlite in the bag. Dog? What dog, Biiiiyaatttchh?

Stray dogs are more poor thing than refugees, the remaining # of them live in seclusion and fear, and U want them shot? Tsk tsk.. pls don't.
    I've been chased by stray dogs while wandering off the beaten path in ubin, and what I did? I stayed calm, walk slowly, and I can see they look at me in bemusement but never aggresive. I slowly walked past the pack of 8 or so, without a scratch. No dog would just bite a person without a reason, without being provoked. Unlike Humans.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    To add, throwing stones etc only enforces the dog's behaviour that Humans are harmful creatures that inflict pain on them.
    i didnt mention throwing stones...juz pretend picking up a stone. I don't encourage stoning animals either.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i didnt mention throwing stones...juz pretend picking up a stone. I don't encourage stoning animals either.
    just pray the dog never undergo a classical conditioning of stone = throw = go bite the living daylights out of the person holding a stone...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    just pray the dog never undergo a classical conditioning of stone = throw = go bite the living daylights out of the person holding a stone...
    One-North Explorers

Quote Originally Posted by allsmilez View Post
    Hi all,

I live near 6th ave. Whenever i'm on the bus i pass by this nice open field where the sun sets just in between a few tall trees. Nice sunset pic location. Anyway if i'm not wrong it used to be a graveyard some 10+ years ago, but exhumed? if i remember correctly, now its an open field next to a forest.

Was minding my own business today snapping some pics when suddenly from the distance 4 wild dogs advanced at me quite fast. I dunno why I didnt run but walked fast cos in retrospect its damn scary But anyway i crossed a small drain next to the main road and they stood off about 5-10m away barking. Then they later went into a small forest next to the area, which is really quite small considering behind is a canal.

Anybody seen these dogs before? Its pretty dangerous since this is a small area and quite a lot of residents here, like they live in a small patch of forest and can be pretty aggressive. Should i report to NEA?
    That place was a track called Lorong Panchar during kampong days and it used to lead to Old Holland Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    That place was a track called Lorong Panchar during kampong days and it used to lead to Old Holland Rd.
    interesting info! thanks!
    One-North Explorers

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Of cos if a large dog bark at me I won't dare advance. But what if you reall advance forward? They will back away?
    how big can a stray dog be, my friend?
    and yes, if you really advance forward, they will back away.
    So why do we need to put them to sleep? can't we live side by side with them? afterall it was you that intrude their teritory

Done that many time and always work. Sometime when I really pissed off, i chased them back when they are getting too close to my comfort See who's the boss
    Last edited by amateur_photographer; 22nd May 2007 at 06:11 PM.

dogs got bigger mouth, sharper teeth. if they manage 2 tear ur skin jus abit, mayb u'll hav 2 pay 4 a jab at d clinics. go ahead pick a fight lo.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Stray dogs are more poor thing than refugees, the remaining # of them live in seclusion and fear, and U want them shot? Tsk tsk.. pls don't.
    I've been chased by stray dogs while wandering off the beaten path in ubin, and what I did? I stayed calm, walk slowly, and I can see they look at me in bemusement but never aggresive. I slowly walked past the pack of 8 or so, without a scratch. No dog would just bite a person without a reason, without being provoked. Unlike Humans.
    Agree with you. on tekong during navi exercises encountered a pack of 8-10 dogs around, they just ignored us, we ignored them. (wild boar different story)

My intention with this thread is not to imply they should be put down; myself i'll avoid their territory. Just to query whether i should inform authorities since there are kids around playing soccer in the field, may accidentally provoke, or they may run away and kenna chased (no flashbang or manfrotto ) Anyway I went back again to take a look where they mostly roam, pretty far away from where the kids play, so i won't be calling NEA/SPCA.

And yes it connects to old holland rd, but a canal now blocks it, so have to climb in and out. the canal is quite nice for evening pics cos the sun sets quite nicely and there are some nice sand patterns. Train tracks nearby too. Just don't be in a canal when it starts to rain...

And just to share this is the photo i "risked my life" for. Not very good, i'm still learning.

"Exhumed Graveyard"

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    locate a fist sized stone/branch/rock, go towards it, bend down, pick it up. Once the dogs see that, they should flee. Or at least run off and keep a distance. They will think you about to throw a stone or a stick. Not that you really throw...but the action of picking things kind of scares them.

Personally tried that a few times. It works effectively most with annoying barking dogs in private estates.

This trick works for me a few yrs back in Ubin too. No need to harm the animals, they are just protecting their turf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12