Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70-200mm 2.8 : Nikon VR or Sigma or Tamron?

Default Re: 70-200mm 2.8 : Nikon VR or Sigma or Tamron?

i've been looking and 1550 is about right for the price....better check which model because there a few 70-200 2.8 types of sigmas. could be wrong but i think the most recent is the 70-200 APO EX DG Macro HSM...the motor is pretty quiet and the focusing is fast. yeah if you can get the real deal go for it, if not, depending on what you shoot a lot of people swear by this lens also. i tried it while shooting a golf tournament and to be frank, there was no real tangible difference compared to the canon 70-200 2.8L IS.

have a good day.

I don't think you can get the Sigma for S$900 brand new. I did a quick check on B&H Photo just to get a sense of the relative prices. It is clear that you can buy the same lenses cheaper in the US (I don't understand why prices here are higher than in a number of other places like HK). Here goes:

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG: US$890 (or S$1,362)

Nikon 80-200 f2.8D: US$800 (S$1,224)

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR: US$1,550 (S$2,372)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Viewpoint! wow...the prices are sure lower than here by miles!

(hmmm...dealers here milking us I guess...but then some other country folks say S'pore pricing so much better than theirs etc etc...so I guess we can't complain too much too!!)

Errr....what / where is BH Photo? And btw, did they also have the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 price?

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Viewpoint View Post
    I don't think you can get the Sigma for S$900 brand new. I did a quick check on B&H Photo just to get a sense of the relative prices. It is clear that you can buy the same lenses cheaper in the US (I don't understand why prices here are higher than in a number of other places like HK). Here goes:

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG: US$890 (or S$1,362)

Nikon 80-200 f2.8D: US$800 (S$1,224)

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR: US$1,550 (S$2,372)

Hope this helps.

It's a chain in the US.

And don't think those prices are cheap. I don't think Viewpoint factored in the shipping cost yet. *and* do not forget, once it arrives, you will be taxed GST as well. You also may not be getting a international warranty item. So please check carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendis View Post
    Wa Scenar, beautiful olive back sunbird portrait! Dark side shooters nowadays, in the birding community, getting less...
    Quote Originally Posted by daydreamz View Post
    wow scenar...some of your pics are really amazing...always such a delight to view them & learn.
    wow, thanks for the encouraging words guys. I'm still a veryyyyyy long way off from becoming a decent shooter. I get lucky now and then that's all

Anyway daydreamz, I do think if you are getting a lens, good to get it locally, I got a sigma that had focusing problems, and the svc @ the local svc centre has been very good; however, the tech actually enquired where I bought the lens from. I am not sure if he would be as happy to help u with the lens if it was imported.

Just pure speculation, but you never know....

I think i am gonna wait for the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 to be launched...shd be soon though given that their press release is March2007 for USA, Japan launch...maybe will ask my friend who goes to Japan on biz to get one...! Thanks scenar.

best 70-200 AF lens is minolta/sony 70-200G.
    best 70-200 MF lens is leica R 70-180APO. both price very very....hehe..

for VR/IS issue, if you try IS and VR both, u will love IS in final...hehe...

forget sigma/tokina/tamron/pentax...

Sigma = $1550+ & Nikon = $2600+ and Tamron unknown yet!
    hi, went to Cathay ask for the price for the nikon lense... its $3k.

hmmm....strange...i thot it was always in the $2.6-2.7 (max) range...

anyways there are some b&s threads selling theirs at $2.2-2.4 if ur interested... cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by viewtiful View Post
    hi, went to Cathay ask for the price for the nikon lense... its $3k.

hmmm....strange...i thot it was always in the $2.6-2.7 (max) range...

anyways there are some b&s threads selling theirs at $2.2-2.4 if ur interested... cheers.
    anyway dun really trust that guy.... too friendly and not the regular sale person that serve me.

Quote Originally Posted by viewtiful View Post
    anyway dun really trust that guy.... too friendly and not the regular sale person that serve me.
    friendly also wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    friendly also wrong...
    sorry friendly not wrong sorry sorry lol

The sharpness of the Nikon 70-200/2.8 is stellar and VR further augments that by reducing camera shake. I can get away with super crops when using the Nikon 70-200VR. But perhaps the best part of VR is the ability to stop action indoors at a distance.

I don't know about Tamron but I had issues with the Sigma 30/1.4 which had front-focusing issues and eventually had to be returned. Not sure how this compares to the Tamron 70-200/2.8 but their 28-75/2.8 isn't sharp wide open, especially at the corners.

Hi RailGun, no doubt the Nikon 700-200 2.8 is the king of the jungle when it comes to this range & aperture. But am told the Sigma ain't bad either (HSM latest version). And well...the Tamron ain't hit Singapore shores yet so still awaiting feedback from anyone who might have tried it.

And errr...your comparison with of the Sigma 30 1.4 or Tamron 28-75 2.8 may actually not be the best comparison imho, coz they are quite different specs wise from the 70-200 2.8 poles apart...whereas we are trying here to ascertain which of the three brands offer what value of their individual 70-200 2.8 lenses which all three have now in their lineup (at of course a different price point from nikon which is the gold standard in this lens).

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by RailGun View Post
    The sharpness of the Nikon 70-200/2.8 is stellar and VR further augments that by reducing camera shake. I can get away with super crops when using the Nikon 70-200VR. But perhaps the best part of VR is the ability to stop action indoors at a distance.

I don't know about Tamron but I had issues with the Sigma 30/1.4 which had front-focusing issues and eventually had to be returned. Not sure how this compares to the Tamron 70-200/2.8 but their 28-75/2.8 isn't sharp wide open, especially at the corners.

I agree. For such an expensive lens it's best to review them all based on sharpness/quality/etc vs price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12