Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Photographers... Do you... ?

Default Wedding Photographers... Do you... ?

While I understand that some may find the need to crop certain photos and all...

Do you resize them all to at least a standard decent size before delivery to your client? (e.g. 3000x2000 pixels)

Default Re: Wedding Photographers... Do you... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    While I understand that some may find the need to crop certain photos and all...

Do you resize them all to at least a standard decent size before delivery to your client? (e.g. 3000x2000 pixels)
    Erm for me, I give highest res.

Uh Okay. Sorry, I think I didn't phrase my question correctly. Heh.

If you crop a photo, do you/should you upsize it to match the other full sized hi-res images?

hahahah...
    if you crop a lot of photos, than you have many many different size of image, won't that become very messy??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Yes that's precisely my point That's why I wanted to ask. Because I came across a friend's ROM photos recently, and was surprised to see the photos in a multitude of sizes. Not mentioning some of them were obviously downsized.

Makes me think it is more of a not-up-to-standard rather than an industry-standard hmmm?
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 20th May 2007 at 04:52 PM.

I don't usually crop my photos, just shoot and print as it is.
    If I really need to to crop some of it, it will be very minimum, like adjust tilted image.

you can have the same pixel size image after you crop it, so simple to do it in photoshop.

the photographer which you friend used, need to learn alot on photography and photoshop.

What if you crop such that you've changed the aspect ratios? Would you then fill in black/white so the image would be the same size as the others?

I could already tell from the quality of the shots. Anyway, she did not fork out alot for the photographer.

But I was just curious about the sizing. Because I somehow felt that the company that the photographer was representing short-changed my friend by giving downsized images of about 2100x1400 when he was using a 10MP and 8MP body.

ok, it is a "industry" standard to give medium file, so it can fit all into a 700mb CD-R

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    What if you crop such that you've changed the aspect ratios? Would you then fill in black/white so the image would be the same size as the others?
    why would you want to do that? if all the prints is in 4R.

Wah. By "medium" it becomes very vague leh. heh.

Wah. By "medium" it becomes very vague leh. heh.
    cos most people only print 4R size print, a medium jpg from a 6mp DSLR is far more than enough, now most of them are giving medium jpg from a 10mp DSLR.

Have only done one casual wedding shoot so far with two other friends. We standardized things across the board. If cropping, we would either maintain the 3:2 aspect ratio, or crop down to a perfect square. Nothing else. When this was done the people who looked at the final collection remarked at how 'collective' the images appeared, despite being shot by three people. I suppose the various styles 'clicked' together by sheer luck also.

All of us shot in RAW and converted to JPEG later. This gave us good scope for adjustment at the editing stage. We then passed full-res images to the couple on a few discs and also used the same ones for printing their album.

I suppose the conditions were very different for us. We're not pros, so we had more time to deliver the goods. Speed of workflow was not very important. For the pros, they might be inclined to shoot just medium quality (assuming all the client wants are small prints) to make editing much faster and allow for easier storage.

If you're doing this on a casual basis though, I don't see any reason to withhold the best quality images from the client.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    ......................... For the pros, they might be inclined to shoot just medium quality (assuming all the client wants are small prints) to make editing much faster and allow for easier storage.
    for those low price job, many pros just shoot in jpg and print 4R straight, no recrop, no touch up, and all the print out are very decent.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    for those low price job, many pros just shoot in jpg and print 4R straight, no recrop, no touch up, and all the print out are very decent.
    Heheh...ours was not for a low price, but for no pay. We did it out of the goodness of our hearts, and enjoyed every bit of the experience and the challenge.

But yes, going back to the topic. 4Rs are quite forgiving. Two megapixel images from a compact can still produce acceptable 4Rs, and they're much easier to work with. Big images are really slow to edit, especially from computers that are far from high-end.

Personally I crop and straighten about 5% of the images where necessary, but I make sure that the end resolution is printable in 4R. As I use 2 DSLR bodies with different resolutions, I can't help that the clients get varied sizes. Having said that, I also include a folder of all photos resized into 800x600 so that clients can view the images on their PC. If they were to view the full-sized images on a slow PC, scrolling would be a torture!

Don't be surprised if clients are ignorant of the file resolution. I once emailed a client a resized sample of his wedding photos and a few days later he asked me how come the printed photos came out blur. Haha I told him that he needs high-res files to do the prints, not the files I emailed him.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Heheh...ours was not for a low price, but for no pay. We did it out of the goodness of our hearts, and enjoyed every bit of the experience and the challenge.

But yes, going back to the topic. 4Rs are quite forgiving. Two megapixel images from a compact can still produce acceptable 4Rs, and they're much easier to work with. Big images are really slow to edit, especially from computers that are far from high-end.
    that's how wedding couples come to the pros without knowing they only have little budget but ask for the sky and earth,
    no, I'll not upset this, and will not lower my price to take the job, but sincerely hope they will go back to people like you to let you guys enjoy serving them.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that's how wedding couples come to the pros without knowing they only have little budget but ask for the sky and earth,
    no, I'll not upset this, and will not lower my price to take the job, but sincerely hope they will go back to people like you to let you guys enjoy serving them.
    Oh...trust me, we're in two different leagues altogether. We're casual, and you guys are pro. Thus far, our 'team' of three friends have only agreed to do it for our own friends, and we don't promise results. We've only shot one wedding so far, but we made it very clear from the outset that they should get some pros to do it since a wedding is so important.

But if they really wanted the three of us to do it instead, then we will not promise any results but rather, will simply deliver whatever we managed to get from that day. If it's good, then that's fine. If the photos don't turn out then nobody has any issues either because we didn't promise anything to start off with.

Cover backside from all sides.

As a customer, of course, I expect all photos are printable size

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    As a customer, of course, I expect all photos are printable size
    printable at 4R, 3MP is good enuf.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast