Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: BallHead RECOMMENDATION

  1. #1

    Question BallHead RECOMMENDATION

    Hi all out there,

    I'm getting a GITZO 1128 tripod and intend to get a BALL HEAD for my F80 with 28-200 tamron lens

    My Budget is around $200

    please recommend the best ball head within that price range can?

    thanx

    PL

  2. #2

    Default

    sadly, i think that most sub-$200 ball heads suffer from 'slippage' you might be better off getting a manfrotto 190 and using money saved towards an acratech ball head

  3. #3

    Default

    Do you have any recommendations for the acratech ball head. Ie which model and at what estimated price?

  4. #4

    Default

    Geez, ballhead and tripod that's gonna cost more than the price of the camera and lens itself.. not to mentioned being overspecified too.

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx
    sadly, i think that most sub-$200 ball heads suffer from 'slippage' you might be better off getting a manfrotto 190 and using money saved towards an acratech ball head
    how abotu if the budget is revised to $250?

    which one will u recommend for the gitzo 1128?

  6. #6

    Default

    Ultimate ball head
    http://acratech.net/prod01.htm

    US$269.95 with arca quick release clamp.

    No one said photography was a cheap hobby...

  7. #7

    Default

    wah kaoz

    relax lar brudder,

    i'm toking abtou SGD$250

  8. #8

    Default

    Originally posted by plsoong
    how abotu if the budget is revised to $250?

    which one will u recommend for the gitzo 1128?
    i think there are a few manfrotto ball heads around that price. on the assumption that you might upgrade your camera equpiment in the future (eg: a 70-200 F/2.8 whether Sigma or Nikon ) you might want to get the best you can afford. Go SEED tomorrow and ask the experts there. But whatever you do, test for 'slip' (i.e. tighten ball head, whether it moves a little bit after that) first to see if you can live with it.

    if you notice Darren's signature, you'll see this link ... http://www.phototoolkit.com/index.html
    Last edited by erwinx; 25th March 2003 at 11:27 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx
    i think there are a few manfrotto ball heads around that price. on the assumption that you might upgrade your camera equpiment in the future (eg: a 70-200 F/2.8 whether Sigma or Nikon ) you might want to get the best you can afford. Go SEED tomorrow and ask the experts there. But whatever you do, test for 'slip' (i.e. tighten ball head, whether it moves a little bit after that) first to see if you can live with it.

    erm..i can't attend the SEED tomolo lor..gotta teach some undergrads..

    but yep going to get better eq next time..

    so which model leh?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,612

    Default

    As long as uyou don't use heavy weight equipment, manfrotto's ballheads are good enough for 35mm. Check that it has panning capabilities, Acratech is nice and good and light, however very expensive! Stay withn your budget and know your equipment more importantly know what you need, otherwise photography becomes a burden for you and is no fun anymore.......
    Keep things simple, it is not a case of having the latest and best equipment, don't make photography a fashion parade of ego's........

    Hong Sien

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by plsoong
    erm..i can't attend the SEED tomolo lor..gotta teach some undergrads..

    but yep going to get better eq next time..

    so which model leh?
    try Manfrotto (whatever model is within your budget) and have a look at the Acratech. Both can be seen at Cathay. Looking at the construction of the acratech, it should last a long time and through a few upgrades of your camera equipment. It is also light for the amount of weight it can support.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default G1127?

    Have you consider G1127? Selling 500 at CP

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    BUKIT TIMAH
    Posts
    102

    Default please check out this thread:)

    http://www.offstone.com/photo/showth...&threadid=1507
    the 2nd item should interest you. really good buy

  14. #14
    andylee
    Guests

    Default

    Hey man,you might want to try VELBON.not bad for the price.saw on the net people use big white lens with it.got mine @ $60 2nd hand.

  15. #15

    Default

    Thanx to all brudders,

    Yes, My limit is $250.......really can't afford to push anyhigher....

    So far the load will be the tamron super XR Zoom 28-200 , Nikon AFD 50mm, Nikon AFD 105mm

    and maybe an occasional speedlight

    so the Manfrotto one can tahan
    ?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    BUKIT TIMAH
    Posts
    102

    Default

    definitely. you can upgrade the quick release system with arca-swiss type plates with the remaining cash.

    www.reallyrightstuff.com
    www.kirkphoto.com
    damien

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by plsoong
    Thanx to all brudders,

    Yes, My limit is $250.......really can't afford to push anyhigher....

    So far the load will be the tamron super XR Zoom 28-200 , Nikon AFD 50mm, Nikon AFD 105mm

    and maybe an occasional speedlight

    so the Manfrotto one can tahan
    ?
    More than enough. I always use my 190 Pro B with 352RC ballhead with my F100+MB15, 80-200/2.8, flash and never had problems. And the whole setup is only ~$200.

    Regards
    CK

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by plsoong
    Thanx to all brudders,

    Yes, My limit is $250.......really can't afford to push anyhigher....

    So far the load will be the tamron super XR Zoom 28-200 , Nikon AFD 50mm, Nikon AFD 105mm

    and maybe an occasional speedlight

    so the Manfrotto one can tahan
    ?
    The manfrotto can tahan even if u add a 80-200/2.8 or 70-200/2.8.

    If you are taller than 175, get the 055, else get the 190.

    As i say since you are buying the G1128, might as well spend lesser to get the G1127($500 sale while stock last)

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    More than enough. I always use my 190 Pro B with 352RC ballhead with my F100+MB15, 80-200/2.8, flash and never had problems. And the whole setup is only ~$200.

    Regards
    CK
    will this setup creep when shooting portraits mode?

  20. #20

    Default

    try slik pro ball head...works for me even if it creeps, angle the ballhead the opposite direction, used with big white lens no prob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •