Thread: lightning and thunder

Default lightning and thunder

any techqiue to photos of the lightnings ???

Deregistered

Default Re: lightning and thunder

rule #1: never get too close to them.
    rule #2: set high ISO
    rule #3: tripod is a must
    rule #4: must wear rubber boots.....
    rule #5: cable release
    rule #6: take many shots
    rule #7: learn and guess where they'll be
    rule #8: water proofed your gears
    rule #9: set long shutter
    rule #10: show us your best shots

my 2 cents worth.

Hi there,

You can check out some of these links posted in the Nigh Photography forum.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Depends on how intense the lightning activity is really. Usually, if one is able to discover an electrifying day, the lightning should be intense with bright streaks. Therefore, I would actually recommend using a low ISO set at around f/5.6-8 with 20-30 secs exposure.

If the lightning is very faint, or far away, then a high ISO should do the trick. But then again, you probably won't even know that it exist in the first place, get what I mean?

Sumatra thunderstorm squall season has just started, so you might wanna check out NEA's website for weather updates and standby your equipment pointing to the west. Best to take them when they are about 30km away. If it comes too near, ie about 10km, protect yourself and your equipment, no point risking.

A guide as to how near the lightning activity is to you:
    Gauge by listening to the lag in time to the lightning you see. Every 3 secs = 1 km.

Happy shooting

shouldn't you be using low ISO so that you can use a longer shutter speed, at the same time reducing noise? I think that taking pictures of lightning is kinda hit and miss, but setting the camera shutter to bulb mode and using a black card will help.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    shouldn't you be using low ISO so that you can use a longer shutter speed, at the same time reducing noise? I think that taking pictures of lightning is kinda hit and miss, but setting the camera shutter to bulb mode and using a black card will help.
    Interesting concept of using a black card on bulb mode, care to elaborate more. I think this method can control the exposure well if one knows how to. But wouldn't the lightning be missed if one is too slow to react?

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    Yeah, but remember that lightning happens in a flash, so if your ISO is too low you'll probably just see a faint twinkle.

Low ISO is the way to go for most night shots, ligthning included. High ISO will only produce more noise and spoil your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Yeah, but remember that lightning happens in a flash, so if your ISO is too low you'll probably just see a faint twinkle.
    True, like I said, it really depends on how intense the lightning is actually. If it's just faint lightning, you probably wouldn't even notice it in the 1st place and won't have the initiative to take it.

A high ISO is only preferable if the surrounding is not polluted by light or else you will get a not so nice orangy-pink sky during long exposure. I do have some pictures taken at low ISO. I will show them here when I find them.

Date/Time: 2006:05:22 19:25:26

An almost uncropped pic.

Flash used: No
    Focal length: 17.0mm (35mm equivalent: 119mm)
    CCD width: 5.14mm
    Exposure time: 30.000 s
    Aperture: f/9.0
    ISO equiv.: 100
    Whitebalance: Manual
    Metering Mode: matrix
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Taken in the evening when the sky is not so dark, imagine what would happen if I were to use it at ISO 800.