Thread: Singapore Hi-Fi Forum

Default Singapore Hi-Fi Forum

I have a problem... maybe someone here will be kind to help me out.

I have an old set of speakers, the Tannoy 609, from the Tannoy Sixes range. It was a nice set of speakers when it worked. Unfortunately, one side started scratching. So, after some diagnosis, I narrowed it down to a faulty speaker driver.

I need to replace the driver. However, Tat Chuan, which distributes Tannoy in Singapore, wanted to charge me some $800+ to ship in the driver. That's completely crazy, considering that the pair of speakers only cost $700 when I bought it ages ago.

I tried getting it at UK Ebay, but shipping would cost a bomb.

Can anyone recommend a HiFi forum where I can seek help... or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is the last attempt to fix this... failing which, I will send it to the dumpster with a heavy heart.

Default Re: Singapore Hi-Fi Forum

bring your speakers down or dismantle it to show the guy at Sim Lim Tower Level 3 on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post

I have an old set of speakers, the Tannoy 609, from the Tannoy Sixes range. It was a nice set of speakers when it worked. Unfortunately, one side started scratching. So, after some diagnosis, I narrowed it down to a faulty speaker driver.

I need to replace the driver. However, Tat Chuan, which distributes Tannoy in Singapore, wanted to charge me some $800+ to ship in the driver. That's completely crazy, considering that the pair of speakers only cost $700 when I bought it ages ago.

Can anyone recommend a HiFi forum where I can seek help... or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is the last attempt to fix this... failing which, I will send it to the dumpster with a heavy heart.

I know sometimes alot of things are hard to part with 'cos of sentimental reasons. If it's more expensive to replace the driver, then, instead of throwing it away, why not keep them at home if they are not too bulky or take up alot of space. I threw away a pair of Altec Lansing Model 7 speakers, which served me about 20 odd years, sometimes back after the speakers died on me. Bought cheap at that time and I guessed it wasn't worth repairing it.

You can definitely try the shop at SLT. As recommended.

Else you can head down to burlington square - Martin Audio. Look for Auntie Vong.

Had my speakers sent there for mods and repairs.

You might want to try this local website anything regards to HiFi - http://www.echoloft.com/

Nikon D5000 | NikKor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR | Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G | SB-400

The crew is right. The shop at sls and Martin Audio are the places to go.

But if your system is good enough to have a sound image. Then effort is worthless as the repaired side will never sound the same as the original.

If it is for background music. Go fo it.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Thanks for all the information!

I have been to the 3rd floor shop at SLS. The guy is called Mr Chia. He examined the driver and concluded that it's beyond repair.

I also understand that the sound will not balance if I meddle with 1 side. I have thought of replacing both drivers, but the cost would be exhorbitant. Tannoy is really bad. They want to charge me an arm and a leg for the parts. Shipping cost does not help. The distributor in Singapore, Tat Chuan, is lagi worse. They not only want my arm and my leg, they also want my balls. That's the last pair of Tannoy I will ever own.

I'm not going to keep this pair in a corner because it takes up space. Space in Singapore is precious. I think I will sell some of it as parts, and then throw it away.

why dont you visit Aldephi groundfloor opposite the reception where they sell Mordant Short & Goodman speakers which I bought few months ago for a few hundreds.

Thanks for all the information!

I have been to the 3rd floor shop at SLS. The guy is called Mr Chia. He examined the driver and concluded that it's beyond repair.

I also understand that the sound will not balance if I meddle with 1 side. I have thought of replacing both drivers, but the cost would be exhorbitant. Tannoy is really bad. They want to charge me an arm and a leg for the parts. Shipping cost does not help. The distributor in Singapore, Tat Chuan, is lagi worse. They not only want my arm and my leg, they also want my balls. That's the last pair of Tannoy I will ever own.

I'm not going to keep this pair in a corner because it takes up space. Space in Singapore is precious. I think I will sell some of it as parts, and then throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by jtb View Post
    why dont you visit Aldephi groundfloor opposite the reception where they sell Mordant Short & Goodman speakers which I bought few months ago for a few hundreds.
    Yah... time for some auditioning. It's been a long time. Many years back, I bought a pair of TDLs for my bedroom. They are still great sounding speakers today. Too bad the company went bust. Now, I am thinking of Energy speakers. I have relatives in Canada. At least I can get parts when I need them. :P

I have read good stuff about Energy also. Thinking of the RC-30. Have to check out the price first though.