Thread: Do You Insure Your Equipment When Travelling Overseas?

Default Do You Insure Your Equipment When Travelling Overseas?

Hi All,

Will be away to the states for about a month. Need some advice from any CSers.

Do you guys insured your equipment, DSLR, lenses, notebook etc when travelling? If yes, which are the most reliable companies to insure with?

All feedbacks are very much appreciated

Cheers

Default Re: Do You Insure Your Equipment When Travelling Overseas?

yea i'm interested to know too.

tried finding out some info, but the travel insurance offered by AXA and Prudential doesnt seem to fulfil the requirements as the max claim is 5k in total, but only up to 1k per item.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    yea i'm interested to know too.

tried finding out some info, but the travel insurance offered by AXA and Prudential doesnt seem to fulfil the requirements as the max claim is 5k in total, but only up to 1k per item.
    I really hope they do not charge us an arm and leg for insuring individual items, then again, our equipments could be easily cost us more than an arm and leg...

No, I never take any extra insurance. IMO, just waste of money. Of course, if you ask an isurance company they don't agree with me, but honestly, why would it be more dangerous the longer from home? I never understood that.

Travelling to any unknown territory demands some carefulness, one must know how to behave and what is OK what is not OK to do and show and at which times. Yes, different time of day may need different behavoir. But I suppose that is actually the same even if you stay in your own country and just visiting the next town, or a different part of your town.

Anyway, such insurance is probably very expensive and once your gear is stolen the company would probably say you were careless, so it is your fault and would never pay out anything to you.

i was looking for insurance since i had my gear stolen on previous occasion (out of the hotel room!). However, it seems to be very difficult to get insurance for photo equipment in Singapore. If you have a insurance for your items at home, then the camera is included but only if something happens at home / Singapore. For abroad you need special insurance but the usual travel insurance is not enough as it covers more personal risks. Some companies offer insurances for electronic gadgets but you need to register withing 6months of purchase (with receipt etc) and products older than 3y are not insured anymore. This insurance is very typical for computer equipment but which high quality lense looses its value after 3y!? Most of them require some proof of purchase and a rather expensive....
    very troublesome....
    as an alternative (and if owning Nikon) you may want to check out the deal on nikonians.com

Few years ago, when my family went to US for holiday, we bought travelling insurrance, that also cover equipment lost, laggage delay as well. Most importantly you must have original receipt to prove of owner ship. Can't remember whether were I asked to make a police report.

I suggest you check with insurance company regarding travelling insurance. Popular company like NTUC, AIG should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
    But I suppose that is actually the same even if you stay in your own country and just visiting the next town, or a different part of your town.

So my question to those who look for insurance for their photographic gear is: do you insure your gear when in Singapore??

which part of the states are you going to be?
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

I travel extensively and so far have not insured my equipment. My thinking is that I could buy a bunch of assessories instead of the insurance premium!

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs View Post
    which part of the states are you going to be?
    Will be covering the west coast...

The travel insurance that i bought do cover for equipments loss, but there is a max of certain amount that you can claim, which is not enough.

I have been asking around and at the end of the day, most of the agents have the same advice to me, the premium is on the high side and your life is far more important than your gears... insure for your well being rather than your gears, without lives, you will not have another chance to own a better gear.

IMHO... they are right to a certain point.
    Last edited by blackie9919; 20th May 2007 at 11:23 PM.

travel insurance comes some equipement and luggage coverage.. unless we are using very expensive equipment, there should ample coverage.. expensive equipment need separate insurance which can cover more than travel insurance..

usually its $1000-2000 per item max... my agent suggested if I want more coverage then buy more than one policy (from different companies of course)... or get a rider onto your home policy that covers travel...

I just got a premium plan from NTUC income. Its one of their standard policies for travel, covers up to $500 per item if i'm not wrong, if got theft etc but must make police report. Laptop up to 2k. Maybe you can check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie9919 View Post
    I have been asking around and at the end of the day, most of the agents have the same advice to me, the premium is on the high side and your life is far more important than your gears... insure for your well being rather than your gears, without lives, you will not have another chance to own a better gear.

IMHO... they are right to a certain point.
    My friend, I doubt that in the unfortunate event that you lose your life, you can buy it back with the money you get from the the insurance company!

Their $500-$1000 per item policy is really gimmick
    But sometime better than none if touch wood something happen

But there is another kind of insurance which insurance ur equipment, provide ur stuff is less than 6 month olds (HIGH premium hor.........)

perhaps only national graphic nature photographers with lotsa of 1Ds and 600mm and suitcases of cam gear would need those expensive travel insurance for the equipment.. hehe..