Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prosumer Camera

Default Re: Prosumer Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Very well said. Prosumer IMHO is something you buy to get dismay with.

It's sad if you think that way, a prosumer can produce good pictures; I've seen better pictures from prosumer users than DSLR users sometimes.

It is only dismaying in certain situations, e.g. you need high ISO a lot; but the informed user would have known all that and gotten a Fujifilm P&S/prosumer or gone DSLR already.

I think prosumers have their place in the market, shouldn't diss them or dismiss them so easily. I had fun with my prosumer and I would encourage anyone not entirely sure whether they are prepared for DSLR - whether you like it or not it's quite a different world tbh; maintenance and long-term wise in terms of care, not just usage - to get a prosumer first. They can keep it later on anyways, for holiday trips and backup camera.

I wouldn't say that... I'll gladly take one of my prosumers along for a concert where DSLR cams are banned, or to a beach or party, etc where I don't want to be weighed down by a DSLR and want something small and pocketable.

Also, the IR functions on my V3 don't require opening the cam and modding it.

night86mare, can i invite you to write a short guide on prosumers? i think you have good knowledge in this area. anything you think is relevant to a newbie? i can put them into the 1st page of the newbie guide, or link it, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    night86mare, can i invite you to write a short guide on prosumers? i think you have good knowledge in this area. anything you think is relevant to a newbie? i can put them into the 1st page of the newbie guide, or link it, or whatever.
    I don't mind, but you gotta PM me on what aspects to write on exactly.

I know it's ironic that I'm defending prosumers when I switched from one to a DSLR.. But don't we all in the end? =D

I'm not dismayed with any of these shots, taken with prosumer cams:

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I don't mind, but you gotta PM me on what aspects to write on exactly.

I know it's ironic that I'm defending prosumers when I switched from one to a DSLR.. But don't we all in the end? =D
    Some actually switch back.

It's sad if you think that way, a prosumer can produce good pictures; I've seen better pictures from prosumer users than DSLR users sometimes.

It is only dismaying in certain situations, e.g. you need high ISO a lot; but the informed user would have known all that and gotten a Fujifilm P&S/prosumer or gone DSLR already.

I think prosumers have their place in the market, shouldn't diss them or dismiss them so easily. I had fun with my prosumer and I would encourage anyone not entirely sure whether they are prepared for DSLR - whether you like it or not it's quite a different world tbh; maintenance and long-term wise in terms of care, not just usage - to get a prosumer first. They can keep it later on anyways, for holiday trips and backup camera.
    IMHO, I have never went against a prosumer. However, for the current case, TS has grown out of the Compact. IMHO (Again, I want to emphasize that it is my opinion), to bridge to dSLR thru prosumer is going to land you into dismay (unsatisfaction) then onward to dSLR. If a newbie comes about, I would recommend a Prosumer any day. So pls don't compare saying a prosumer is not going to lose to dSLR, its the one behind the camera etc. OF COURSE THAT IS THE CASE.

However again, I am commenting on situation basis. FOR THIS CASE, I think, IMHO, that bridging thru prosumer is gonna bring TS dismay eventually.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Too much maintenance, perhaps; I don't know, I lub my DSLR, but I also lubbed my H2.

I want to share prosumer shots too!

Among many others, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes, I am switching back. TO COMPACT.

In fact I am going to bring myself thru greater heights thru Compacts. I believe they can be tools of creativeness.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

IMHO, I have never went against a prosumer. However, for the current case, TS has grown out of the Compact. IMHO (Again, I want to emphasize that it is my opinion), to bridge to dSLR thru prosumer is going to land you into dismay (unsatisfaction) then onward to dSLR. If a newbie comes about, I would recommend a Prosumer any day. So pls don't compare saying a prosumer is not going to lose to dSLR, its the one behind the camera etc. OF COURSE THAT IS THE CASE.

However again, I am commenting on situation basis. FOR THIS CASE, I think, IMHO, that bridging thru prosumer is gonna bring TS dismay eventually.
    I currently own a Canon A40 and Nikon Coolpix S7c. I am considering picking photography as a hobby and after some reading, decided to start off with a prosumer camera vs a DSLR due to my weakness for accessories (I may break the bank and leave the hobby after a year or so).
    Thank you for explaining, let's not take this too personally since it is merely an exchange of views; read what the TS said, in this case; there is no right answer since we might not know whether he continues with photography after a year or so. But he -did- indicate a preference for prosumer, so.

Anyways, I know what you mean by potential disappointment; lousy noise performance, limited aperture, among other things.. And not much difference from a good compact (true compact, that is) with manual settings other than the zoom range. Well. Just responding, just in case you know, only one side of the story is presented.

Cheers! =)

Guys,

Thanks a great deal for all your comments. It has certainly been enlightening and educational.

I was actually trying to decide between the Canon S5, Sony H9 or Fuji F9600. Today had a chance to fiddle with a F5500 (colleagues's), did not quite like the LCD view from the viewfinder. But the camera certainly feels light and compact and the 10X zoom is great.

Since the last few exchanges of views/ debate, I am now a little torn between a DSLR or prosumer. Pricewise, $860 can get me a D40 with kit lens and $899 can get me a H9 or F9600. While the former gives me versatility and excellent picture quality, the latter gives me great zoom, of cos amongst other things.

Hi, I've done a detailed writeup here:

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=282608

You may check it out and read it in your free time, hopefully it'll help you out. =)

Sony and Canon only have noise. With proper programs can save.

FZ-20 turns pictures into watercolour due to Panny's over-aggressive NR.. I don't know why they want to do something like that, maybe it looks good in tests.. =D
    no, not really... all the watercolor sh!t comes from the venus III... back then fz1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 30... etc are all using either venus I or II only...

Quote Originally Posted by LightStalker View Post
    my advise is, if u have some spare cash to use, rent a dslr from our services offered/wanted section and feel the difference.. a prosumer is kinda restricting.. some of my prosumer problems im facing now are, that f1 race coming up? the prosumers shutter lag will kill u.. need that extra sharpness or dof? max only f8.. zooming in and zooming out so slow also.. with a dslr u just need to turn turn turn u will also need to spend more money on that extra battery as the lcd takes alot of juice plus the resale value is terrible.. high iso is terrible especially for panasonic.. looks like a waterpainting.. sigh.. my prosumer.. go get a second hand dslr !!
    getting more DOF ain't a problem with prosumer... even f2.8 is deep enough in most case except closeup, macro.. etc

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    getting more DOF ain't a problem with prosumer... even f2.8 is deep enough in most case except closeup, macro.. etc
    i think the reverse is true. prosumer/compact cannot get good bokeh or isolational shallow DOF, rite?

in case you guys haven't realised, the prosumer and dslr are actually mutually exclusive.

people who choose to use prosumers know what they want from a camera.

prosumers aren't necessarily bad cameras, as some views shared here describe as such. and there happen to be more bad photographers than bad cameras these days.

i do agree that dslrs provide more control. but if the threadstarter do not see a use (or even have a know-how) for such control, why bother?

a bridge camera is one exactly because it is what it is - a bridge. it introduces more control over one's exposure, and yet without the technical complexity, maintenance and cost of a dslr. which is excellent for learning in my opinion.

and if one ever 'outgrows' a prosumer, or find themselves limited with such a camera, by all means get a dslr.

i think the reverse is true. prosumer/compact cannot get good bokeh or isolational shallow DOF, rite?
    well, I did said more DOF = in focus area...

yes that is right. but there is a good side to that too - getting more dof is easy with a prosumer/compact. f2.8 at the wide end on a prosumer could render an image sharp from front to back.

and this can be useful at night when you want great dof. i.e. when you shoot wide open, you get greater dof as compared to a dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well, I did said more DOF = in focus area...
    you got me wrong. i'm actually agreeing with you, but stating the reverse part on less DOF being a problem while more DOF not a problem.

you got me wrong. i'm actually agreeing with you, but stating the reverse part on less DOF being a problem while more DOF not a problem.
    ah ic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123