Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturating colours in PS

Smile Saturating colours in PS

Hey guys,
    i am still quite noob in using CS2. Ask your, how did your saturate your colours to make them more vibrant without the result of a lot of noise ??? I tried a couple of times but the colours in fact became more noisy than saturated.

Anything your did to prevent this? Sorry for such a noob qn

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Saturating colours in PS

Quote Originally Posted by howxq View Post
    Hey guys,
    i am still quite noob in using CS2. Ask your, how did your saturate your colours to make them more vibrant without the result of a lot of noise ??? I tried a couple of times but the colours in fact became more noisy than saturated.

Thanks in advance
    Try adjusting curves or levels instead of just increasing saturation. Gives you greater contrast and more natural colours.

Or work in LAB Mode and tweak the a and b curves. Do a search on the Internet and you may find some video tutorial how to do this.

are your original images underexposed?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Nope they are not underexposed. When your talk about adjusting the curves, are your refering to the RGB curves or the individual channels curves?

a simple S RGB curves will do the trick.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

press ctrl-u and adjust the saturation

use a selective color layer to enhance the tone. it gives you more control than the Hue & Saturation setting.

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance
    Try this. After your adjustment with Hue/Sat. go to Edit>Fade and change the mode to Luminosity or color. Try color first and play around with the Opacity slider. I may be wrong and duplicate your image first, just in case. good luck
    Last edited by simonsiau; 29th May 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks a lot simonsiau. However when i try to do that, the option of fade is not available . This means that i could not click it. Any idea why ???
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot simonsiau. However when i try to do that, the option of fade is not available . This means that i could not click it. Any idea why ???
    Thanks in advance.
    you can only use the fade function when you apply the Hue/Sat directly to the image.

if you use Hue/Sat layer the fade function is disable but you will have more control by changing the normal mode to any other and play with the opacity.

try applying the reduce noise filter and play with gaussian blur to reduce noise of your image.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    you can only use the fade function when you apply the Hue/Sat directly to the image.

if you use Hue/Sat layer the fade function is disable but you will have more control by changing the normal mode to any other and play with the opacity.

try applying the reduce noise filter and play with gaussian blur to reduce noise of your image.
    jopel is right. go directly to image>adjustment>hue/sat. don't use the adjustment layer at the bottom of the layer palette. Try it and see but i usually don't sat my color too much, it will bring in more noise.

Smile Re: Saturating colours in PS

Thanks a lot all you guys Will keep practising using PS. Anyway to sidetrack a bit, how do your guys normally scale your pics on PS to be post on cs? I tried a lot of times but they always say that the pics are too big . Is there any figures or ways in PS to scale my pics to be posted on CS.

Thanks a lot all you guys Will keep practising using PS. Anyway to sidetrack a bit, how do your guys normally scale your pics on PS to be post on cs? I tried a lot of times but they always say that the pics are too big . Is there any figures or ways in PS to scale my pics to be posted on CS.
    Resize them to a smaller size. For e.g. 640 x 480 or 800 x 600. That should be manageable on most servers.

Thanks a lot to all you guys on this thread who have helped me This one is for you guys.

to you who put an effort to learn

Hey thanks a lot, loads to learn from you guys. Wat PP did you do for my pics ??? Can reveal
    Anyway i think it is a bit too light for the background. Just my two cents worth

orginal processed by twiddling around the rgb curves pushing it to a S shape (under image -> adjust -> curves -> tada!)

original processed by an unconventional but fast convenient method (its wierd but it works anyway most of the time:P)
    Last edited by psychobiologist; 3rd June 2007 at 04:36 AM.
    chezburgr i can haz?

use the Blur Tool to blur the branch and dry leaf.

select the leaf (front) copy it to its own layer and use Curve to brighten it.

press [Shift-ctr - Alt - E] to copy the image to a new layer - use Guassian Blur (250) to blur it then play with the opacity. Create a mask and use the Brush Tool to select back the butterfly and leaf.

use Curve to brighten the overall pic.

use Selective Color to enhance colour of butterfly (this is much better than using Hue/Saturation)

select the edge of butterfly wings to add motion blur just to make it more lively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast