Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: computer mains switch must off?

Default Re: computer mains switch must off?

Any reason why everyone recommends Belkin? Shouldn't a company like APC (which has loads more experience designing and producing UPS products) be the better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Any reason why everyone recommends Belkin? Shouldn't a company like APC (which has loads more experience designing and producing UPS products) be the better choice?
    I know that APC is famous for making UPS but dun think they provide the warranty like Belkin does.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    sigh.that's why when storm comes, i dont do computer work.

i wonder if my studio strobes will be fried if my house get hit...again.
    Actually, that should not happen.

The house I lived in was designed and built from scratch. My dad's contractor must have done a poor job with the lighting rod (some call it lighting conductor). He must have installed a cheapo one... and my house was the highest in the neighbourhood. So, we kept getting it.

If your house is prone to lightning strikes, yours must be the highest house in the neighbourhood. You will probably need a bigger/better lighting rod. If you look at the national stadium, above the floodlights? You will see this unbrella-shaped structure... that's one version of the lighting conductor. The floodlights are obviously the highest point... so it needs to attract and diffuse the lightning... else the people in the stadium will be at risk.

So... 2 things it needs to do. Attract the lightning (so it does not hit other parts of the house). Then diffuse it. I think the lightning rod in my old house was not powderful enough or earthed properly... so the electricity gets diffused within the electrical wiring of the house... and we know what happens after that.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post

The house I lived in was designed and built from scratch. My dad's contractor must have done a poor job with the lighting rod (some call it lighting conductor). He must have installed a cheapo one... and my house was the highest in the neighbourhood. So, we kept getting it.

If your house is prone to lightning strikes, yours must be the highest house in the neighbourhood. You will probably need a bigger/better lighting rod. If you look at the national stadium, above the floodlights? You will see this unbrella-shaped structure... that's one version of the lighting conductor. The floodlights are obviously the highest point... so it needs to attract and diffuse the lightning... else the people in the stadium will be at risk.

So... 2 things it needs to do. Attract the lightning (so it does not hit other parts of the house). Then diffuse it. I think the lightning rod in my old house was not powderful enough or earthed properly... so the electricity gets diffused within the electrical wiring of the house... and we know what happens after that.
    You better get someone to look at it. This is very dangerous and by theory, this should not happen. The likelihood is that the earthing for the mains wasn't done properly or that the aerial wiring was laid next to the electrical cables. The insulation for both is different and the aerial cable (meant for TV signals) may have leaked to the electrical wiring an thereby causing a minor earth leakage and tripping the ELCB.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post

You have no idea what you are tokking about.

Those umbrella-shaped structures are not lighting rods. they are ion discharger (or somethin like that), it's said they are to "prevent" strikes.

Also your dad's electrical contractor might not be the one at fault.

The house cabling layout plays a great part if you do not want induced effects into your electircal mains. Where the rods are placed are for most effective coverage of the house, however, where the condiutes run to the ground, it should not be near your house internal cables, also the gounding points should be clear of electrical cables by certain distance.

All lightning rods should hav very little electrical resistance. There's a standard value for it in Sg, can't remember the value tho, IIRC about 0.25ohms or thereabouts.

Lastly, this then most probably is the electrical contractor's fault, the grounding of your lightning rod is not done properly. Have them check your grounding.

*edit* BTW, if your house is the tallest in your neighbourhood, and your lighting rod is working fine, your house SHOULD be struck relatively more often. Your house is actually providing coverage for those about 15m radius thereabout.
    Last edited by CYRN; 21st May 2007 at 12:46 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    You have no idea what you are tokking about.

Those umbrella-shaped structures are not lighting rods. they are ion discharger (or somethin like that), it's said they are to "prevent" strikes.

Also your dad's electrical contractor might not be the one at fault.

The house cabling layout plays a great part if you do not want induced effects into your electircal mains. Where the rods are placed are for most effective coverage of the house, however, where the condiutes run to the ground, it should not be near your house internal cables, also the gounding points should be clear of electrical cables by certain distance.

All lightning rods should hav very little electrical resistance. There's a standard value for it in Sg, can't remember the value tho, IIRC about 0.25ohms or thereabouts.

Lastly, this then most probably is the electrical contractor's fault, the grounding of your lightning rod is not done properly. Have them check your grounding.

*edit* BTW, if your house is the tallest in your neighbourhood, and your lighting rod is working fine, your house SHOULD be struck relatively more often. Your house is actually providing coverage for those about 15m radius thereabout.
    Orrr... obviously, I'm no engineer. Anyway, I don't live in a house now. You can ask Jeanie's dad to get the contractor to check her grounding. From the sound of it, I think her house is providing the 15m coverage you were talking about...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123