Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

Are you all saying these because you all have lousy grade?

I have to admit good grades land fresh grads good job offers. Also, depending on industry, good grades/honours pave a good career path. Having said so, the world outside is so big, there is surely some places for the ppl with no-so-good grades. Most of the time, after the first job, employability mainly depends on work experience and attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by damienster View Post
    After the Haw chong brat incident, it makes me wonder, are grades and sch attended really impt and valid after all?

when i went for an interview, i photocopied all my testimonials, grades, eca records and other army achievements. Then the HR told me to pass her the relavent doc. I passed her everything to best "sell" myself since my grades are jus above avg.

She told me to jus pass her my grades and school i attended So the "relavent doc" are grades and school i attended?????

If i'm the boss, i'll rather hire ppl who are jus moderate rather than cocky brats who are sharp mouth and think they come from top JCs and uni who thinks they are the best poo them!!!

Think the HR shd revise their recruitment strategy...
    So what you want HR to do?

Pick the prettiest face? Or talk to every single candidate? Papers are unfortunately the best and most efficient means to get a candidate.

Btw, in America, if you really look at it, the top-end companies just have resumes. Not even have photograph. Just background and resume. Because their laws are stricter, meritocracy is really just that there - if you did well in school you stand a better chance.

It's life. What to do? Companies like your "cocky brats" who seem to have done better in school than your moderate - can you blame them?

And I seriously laugh at your hasty attempt to generalise and tar every JC and uni student to be cocky. You musn't forget that among uni students there are also those who took the long route via ITE and all that jazz, and it is fast becoming common for better poly students to want to go to university as well.

at least take a look at testimonials mah
    Character?

What is character?

Everytime someone gives me that BS I ask them, if you live with someone for 30 years can you tell his character? Can you say for sure that the next moment he won't go bananas and start dancing around naked and stuffing socks into people's mouths?

The answer is no..

And testimonials - I think the end result will be the same, no different from your ranting about results. Unfortunately, the brutal truth is that a person coming from a not-so-good background will have a much lower chance [Note: I'm not saying it's impossible] of getting a good testimonial from someone of significant credibility. Whereas the converse is more likely for a person coming from a better background.

Why do you worry anyways? You'd eventually get hired, and this is where you prove your worth. Your "cocky JC and uni" students should underperform compared to your extreme zest and passion for the job; so within a few years you'd leave them biting your dust. =)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    So what you want HR to do?

Pick the prettiest face? Or talk to every single candidate? Papers are unfortunately the best and most efficient means to get a candidate.

Btw, in America, if you really look at it, the top-end companies just have resumes. Not even have photograph. Just background and resume. Because their laws are stricter, meritocracy is really just that there - if you did well in school you stand a better chance.

It's life. What to do? Companies like your "cocky brats" who seem to have done better in school than your moderate - can you blame them?

And I seriously laugh at your hasty attempt to generalise and tar every JC and uni student to be cocky. You musn't forget that among uni students there are also those who took the long route via ITE and all that jazz, and it is fast becoming common for better poly students to want to go to university as well.
    Errr...mind u, i did not use any absolute words like "every", "all" or "most". Pls dont start a war here. In fact, i'm also a uni student. Do i sound worried in my 1st thread? I already have 2 job offers. I'm jus starting this thread to have an open discussion and not to psycho ppl to follow me to say "ya, HR shd not look at grades only" I seriously laugh at your hasty comment on me. =)
    Last edited by damienster; 20th May 2007 at 01:39 AM.

Errr...mind u, i did not use any absolute words like "every", "all" or "most". Pls dont start a war here. In fact, i'm also a uni student. Do i sound worried in my 1st thread? I already have 2 job offers. I'm jus starting this thread to have an open discussion and not to psycho ppl to follow me to say "ya, HR shd not look at grades only" I seriously laugh at your hasty comment on me.
    if you really want to have an open discussion I suggest you don't be so blatantly biased in your opinion from the start.

Since you are already being offer 2 job, then why are you still saying the HR is biased towards student with better result? Obviously, you get the offer using your slightly abv average grade.

first are you ranting because your grades suck and hence u are complaining you cant compare to a person with higher grades? If yes, you should have worked harder in school instead of whining now.

second when u interview a person, besides grades how are you going to assess his or her character? Ask her questions like "if you see old lady crossing road, option a (help her) option b (ignore her)??? And ask him or her.... are u a good person??

Frankly u are asking silly questions.... good grades dont come easy. and to be in a good school u have to work hard. u dont get in automatically. So grow up....

Errr...mind u, i did not use any absolute words like "every", "all" or "most". Pls dont start a war here. In fact, i'm also a uni student. Do i sound worried in my 1st thread? I already have 2 job offers. I'm jus starting this thread to have an open discussion and not to psycho ppl to follow me to say "ya, HR shd not look at grades only" I seriously laugh at your hasty comment on me. =)
    2 job offers complain what?

You don't even know the other end of the scale, where companies don't even ask people for their results at all. They don't even get to talk to anyone.

End of story: You should have worked harder.

After the Haw chong brat incident, it makes me wonder, are grades and sch attended really impt and valid after all?

when i went for an interview, i photocopied all my testimonials, grades, eca records and other army achievements. Then the HR told me to pass her the relavent doc. I passed her everything to best "sell" myself since my grades are jus above avg.

She told me to jus pass her my grades and school i attended So the "relavent doc" are grades and school i attended?????

If i'm the boss, i'll rather hire ppl who are jus moderate rather than cocky brats who are sharp mouth and think they come from top JCs and uni who thinks they are the best poo them!!!

Think the HR shd revise their recruitment strategy...
    agree....

but i've met some from the good unis and i must say they are really nice people too.

but kids nowadays....

people just think that they are superior in one way or another. elitism still exist anyway. all thanks to the garment.

Quote Originally Posted by xziredmp View Post
    agree....

but i've met some from the good unis and i must say they are really nice people too.

but kids nowadays....

people just think that they are superior in one way or another. elitism still exist anyway. all thanks to the garment.
    elitism will exist whether or not the government intervenes in any way.
    People have an instinct to try to match up or be better than other people, where-ever they go
    please don't blame the government for everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12