Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

  1. #1

    Default Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    After the Haw chong brat incident, it makes me wonder, are grades and sch attended really impt and valid after all?

    when i went for an interview, i photocopied all my testimonials, grades, eca records and other army achievements. Then the HR told me to pass her the relavent doc. I passed her everything to best "sell" myself since my grades are jus above avg.

    She told me to jus pass her my grades and school i attended So the "relavent doc" are grades and school i attended?????

    If i'm the boss, i'll rather hire ppl who are jus moderate rather than cocky brats who are sharp mouth and think they come from top JCs and uni who thinks they are the best poo them!!!

    Think the HR shd revise their recruitment strategy...
    Last edited by damienster; 16th May 2007 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Punggol Park
    Posts
    1,980

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    The reality is the best jobs out there requires very good grades. Which sch u come from is secondary.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    for moral, how to verify ?

    for skills can show cert and scrolls....but for integrity how to prove?

    how the HR going to change their process ??

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    it depends on the industry you're working in.
    How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

  5. #5

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    The reality is the best jobs out there requires very good grades. Which sch u come from is secondary.
    gd jobs = good grades (correct)
    gd grades = smart ppl ((correct)
    smart ppl = gd character ( )

  6. #6

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    for moral, how to verify ?

    for skills can show cert and scrolls....but for integrity how to prove?

    how the HR going to change their process ??
    at least take a look at testimonials mah

  7. #7

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by damienster View Post
    gd jobs = good grades (correct)
    gd grades = smart ppl ((correct)
    smart ppl = gd character ( )
    for good character, there's also the problem of how good is good enough? there is a lot of grey areas on moral.

    Eg, a person is honest and have integrity in his work but personal life , he is a play boy who slept around and make gals pregnant but dun want to be responsible??

  8. #8

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Reminds me of david gan, he does not have good grades. Moreover, he started as a shampoo boy when the employer employs him. The employer never knew they have employed a talented person. Now he is a famous hair stylist.

    One will never know if they have employed a talented person. Therefore low grades doesnt mean no good.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Am I glad my frst employer did not pay attention to my grades

    Grade in school has absolutely little indication of how well a person will do in the working world.

    Neither did Steve Job nor Bill Gates graduated from university when they founded their empire! I am not saying to students that education is unimportant, but it's not a fool proof indication of what a person is capable to achieve later in life.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 16th May 2007 at 02:03 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    for good character, there's also the problem of how good is good enough? there is a lot of grey areas on moral.

    Eg, a person is honest and have integrity in his work but personal life , he is a play boy who slept around and make gals pregnant but dun want to be responsible??
    that's his personal life... work is work, personal life is personal life. Whatever he do outside during office hrs which in any way will not jeopardize the coy's reputation or shareholders, tt's not the coy's concern.

    The HR is not going to interview the son or wife to find out if he's a gd husband or dad or a playboy right?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Am I glad my frst employer did not pay attention to my grades

    Grade in school has absolutely little indication of how well a person will do in the working world.


    but good grades get high paying job.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post


    but good grades get high paying job.
    True, and it's sad, especially for someone 5-10 years out of school.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  13. #13

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by damienster View Post
    After the Haw chong brat incident, it makes me wonder, are grades and sch attended really impt and valid after all?

    when i went for an interview, i photocopied all my testimonials, grades, eca records and other army achievements. Then the HR told me to pass her the relavent doc. I passed her everything to best "sell" myself since my grades are jus above avg.

    She told me to jus pass her my grades and school i attended So the "relavent doc" are grades and school i attended?????

    If i'm the boss, i'll rather hire ppl who are jus moderate rather than cocky brats who are sharp mouth and think they come from top JCs and uni who thinks they are the best poo them!!!

    Think the HR shd revise their recruitment strategy...
    Different HR have different policy. It is not up to us to determine.

    Moreover, if a fresh grad just came out to look for jobs, the only most viable things he can "sell" to his prospective employer is his grades/sch/testimonial etc (as he have no experience). Most HR will want to get what they feel will add value to the organization. It is a fierce competition.

    For moral, it is something difficult to judge how "cocky" , "sharp mouth" until the person start to work. Depend alot on your "selling" point during interview.

    Grades sometimes show little indication how good a person can do in his job... but who say interview / fighting for job is fair in the first place ?
    Last edited by kitkat; 16th May 2007 at 02:06 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by damienster View Post
    that's his personal life... work is work, personal life is personal life. Whatever he do outside during office hrs which in any way will not jeopardize the coy's reputation or shareholders, tt's not the coy's concern.

    The HR is not going to interview the son or wife to find out if he's a gd husband or dad or a playboy right?
    Not really true. I know people whose nature of job is very sensitive and they have to go thru thorough check on their personal life such as their spending...even sexual life....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Different HR have different policy. It is not up to us to determine.

    Moreover, if a fresh grad just came out to look for jobs, the only most viable things he can "sell" to his prospective employer is his grades/sch/testimonial etc (as he have no experience). Most HR will want to get what they feel will add value to the organization. It is a fierce competition.

    For moral, it is something difficult to judge how "cocky" , "sharp mouth" until the person start to work. Depend alot on your "selling" point during interview.
    I guess for fresh grad, grades, school, and when major are all important. However, for someone who years of experiences, why should grades and school still be a factor?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  16. #16

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I guess for fresh grad, grades, school, and when major are all important. However, for someone who years of experiences, why should grades and school still be a factor?
    I agree... , again it will depend on the person who interview and the individual HR policy what they are looking for (grades or experience) It is something , that i find it difficult to understand too.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Well, if you believe in 路遥知马力 日久见人心, then I guess such fantastic background (JC or results) would just do enough to land them their first job, but probably not see them through their lifetime career as their true colours (aka performance) would be revealed sooner or later
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Potong Pasir
    Posts
    540

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    i agree totally. maybe the grades may give the opportunity, but it wont definitely land you the job. I had a fren recently got a well paying job, being selected over other people with much better grades.

    maybe employers should wake up their ideas :P good grade dont always equal to good employees. give a chance to the others. sometimes, people whom know that they are not as "attractive" as the others will hard even harder!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx View Post
    i agree totally. maybe the grades may give the opportunity, but it wont definitely land you the job. I had a fren recently got a well paying job, being selected over other people with much better grades.

    maybe employers should wake up their ideas :P good grade dont always equal to good employees. give a chance to the others. sometimes, people whom know that they are not as "attractive" as the others will hard even harder!
    only happen in lala land, not in sg

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Job interview...GD sch and grades are the best!!

    Fresh grads - grades, school and any relevant part time jobs done.
    Working adults, - related experience.

    You can make yourself look pretty with whatever achievements that you gotten in school, but they are not really a factor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •